What Comics Would You Like to See Adapted?

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 13 Nov 2014, 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Adapting Year One and The Dark Knight Returns were both good decisions by DC; these tales deserved to be told without change and preserving the style of the original that made them famous.

So I had the idea to adapt the very first Batman comics in animation; retain the style and tell it exactly the way Kane and Finger did. While I don't see it as a series, I think a good amount to go over would be from Detective Comics #27 to Batman #1 for the first entry. While many of the stories flip flop around, I think that disconnect would be faithful to how the original comics were written.

Originally I thought it'd work to put the Batman origin from Detective Comics #33/Batman#1 at the beginning, but that takes away from the storytelling. In a way, Batman is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; we all come to know the two as one in the same (with almost every adaptation featuring a scene showing the transformation), but in the original story, it's actually the twist ending that shows that Mr. Hyde is actually Jekyll. In the same fashion, Batman's first appearance ended with the revelation that Bruce Wayne was actually Batman! For storytelling's sake, I'd put the origin store maybe as a flashback at the end of that first night.

For voices, I actually think of Adam West when reading these early comics. He can joke around, but can also be serious when delivering some of the early Batman's cold dialogue ("A fitting end..."). I also imagine his voice a lot when Batman is delivering some kind of monologue or expressing his thoughts. For Dr. Strange, Ray Buktenica gave a great performance in the Animated Series. For Joker, it'd be easy to say Mark Hamill, but I think early Joker requires something different. Not quite as crazy, but no less cruel. Jack Nicholson comes to mind (especially the "Jack is dead" scene). Not sure about Robin, but it'd probably have to be a young kid.

So anyways, what other arcs/comics would you like to see as a film (animation or otherwise)?