Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
I think I may revise my box office predictions for Star Trek Beyond. I figured it would underperform based on the trailer, but Anton Yelchin's death + strong reviews + positive word of mouth is making me think it'll do better than I thought. That's good news for Paramount. Bad news for Sony.

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 21 Jul  2016, 13:56
Thing is we didn't NEED a Ghostbusters III period, old cast, new cast, whatever. The original more than stood on its own, for peeps that like the second one like myself it was a nice little supplement but there was no need for more, let alone a remake. We can't be that badly out of ideas.

I agree. The time to make Ghostbusters III was in the early nineties. Back then, it could have been awesome.

Luckily we got the 2009 videogame, which was the real Ghostbusters III. But the franchise should be laid to rest now. Comics are fine. Maybe another video game or animated series. But as far as live action films go, the ship has sailed.

A good example of the dignified repose Ghostbusters has been denied can be found in the Back to the Future trilogy. Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale have taken measures to make certain those films are never remade, and there probably won't be another sequel either. But why would there need to be? Last year there was a massive amount of hype surrounding Back to the Future Day. The cast appeared on chat shows, there were theatrical screenings. new merchandise was issued. But the films themselves remained unaltered. No new effects. No sequels. No extended cuts. None of that stuff was necessary. The films have aged beautifully – if anything, they play better now than when they were first released. The excitement surrounding BttF Day was a respectful celebration of a beloved film series. And that's how it should be done for all classics.

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 21 Jul  2016, 13:56I still have to remind myself I don't have to hiss every time Jeff Goldblum pops up on the screen anymore) so it's probably a good thing I'm not interested lol.

Goldblum is, uh, indeed, a, uh, uh, talented actor. It's easy to, uh, confuse him, uh, with the, uh, characters he, uh, portrays. Uh.

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 21 Jul  2016, 13:56Thing is we didn't NEED a Ghostbusters III period, old cast, new cast, whatever. The original more than stood on its own, for peeps that like the second one like myself it was a nice little supplement but there was no need for more, let alone a remake. We can't be that badly out of ideas.
I don't think we needed anything beyond the first one. As you say, Ghostbusters II is an interesting accessory. I even rather enjoy it because it has more of Bill Murray being Bill Murray. But it doesn't have the same flare as the original. Good but not great. And hardly essential, like you say.

I was never thrilled about the idea of Ghostbusters III. My honest opinion was the crew behind the original were lucky they didn't stink up the screen with the second one. A third one after all these years seemed like tempting fate.

But a reboot? Maybe I could've gotten on board with the idea of Ghostbusters III. Maybe. But a reboot, no way. No chance in hell. I don't care if it starred reanimated versions of WC Fields, Don Rickles, Laurel and Hardy, some things are too big an idea after too long a period of time.

Hollywood isn't listening. These reboots and remakes tank more often than not. But they keep coming anyway because Hollywood's current leadership wants retreads. It doesn't matter that we can come up with better ideas today. Even money isn't important judging by how much is spent on these reboots. They WANT retreaded cinema, picking apart stuff from 30 or more years ago instead of creating something new right now. It isn't about money.

It's fair to ask why they're determined to strip mine the past instead of build something new for the present.

I've always liked the idea, in fiction and in conspiracy theories, that the government, military, intelligence agencies and other powerful and influential people such as academics, scientists and clergy know all sorts of things that they keep from public knowledge because "if people knew the truth civilization would break down". And that they keep these things secret for "the good of the world" and will even resort to committing murder to keep these secrets because they believe that it's "a small price to pay". That they might sacrifice small numbers of people to whatever this horrible secret or evil is in order to preserve the human race as a whole.

It's a very Lovecraftian idea. That ignorance is bliss because the truth drives one mad.

Well, yeah. The truth draws outrage from certain groups, and thus denial. The truth is too difficult for some to accept because the truth can be scary. But we have to face up to it. Take control. Or it really does reach the point of no return.

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Sat, 23 Jul  2016, 06:07I've always liked the idea, in fiction and in conspiracy theories, that the government, military, intelligence agencies and other powerful and influential people such as academics, scientists and clergy know all sorts of things that they keep from public knowledge because "if people knew the truth civilization would break down". And that they keep these things secret for "the good of the world" and will even resort to committing murder to keep these secrets because they believe that it's "a small price to pay". That they might sacrifice small numbers of people to whatever this horrible secret or evil is in order to preserve the human race as a whole.

It's a very Lovecraftian idea. That ignorance is bliss because the truth drives one mad.
I can understand that. And the allure of that.

But I can't shake the suspicion that the REAL answer is the conspiracy theory explanation is interesting because it gives meaning to something. "Yeah, society sucks right now. No two ways about it. But it's all the Illuminati's doing!"

The alternative to that is there is no grand conspiracy and that society is governed by total morons.

Under the circumstances, a conspiracy theory is the more satisfying answer.

I'm not saying that there isn't a conspiracy (or that there is); just throwing in my two pennies.

Look up information about a Clive Barker story called "The Midnight Meat Train". That's an example of the kind of fictional story I'm talking about.

A movie about this kind of thing is one with Julianne Moore called "The Forgotten".

As for conspiracy theories look up what various believers in UFOs believe.

I'm not saying it's true. But I think it's interesting and scary.

Allow me to begin by saying I know nothing and care nothing about Kate McKinnon.

But in the unlikely event I ever watch Girlbusters, it'll probably be because of her. In literally everything I've seen related to Girlbusters, she's the standout element. Her look, her body language, everything. She's one of those actresses you can't take your eyes off of because of how she looks, the way she carries herself and so forth.

She's by far the most interesting component of this movie that I will probably never watch.

Same here. She seems f***ing adorable.

I won't be watching Girlbusters. Evah.

If I kidnap you and torture you for the whereabouts of something VERY valuable and VERY shiny, you will. Oh yes, you will....