Burtonize Batman '89

Started by Kamdan, Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 05:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 05:52 Last Edit: Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 05:56 by Kamdan
What if in 1989, Tim Burton had the same creative license he had in 1992? How do you think Batman would have turned out? Let's consider the possibilities:

- One thing would be that there would have been no Prince music incorporated into the film.
- The Joker would have been more like Beetlejuice in appearance.

Can you think of any more?

I've always believed that B89 was the most unrecognisable Tim Burton film. A lot of his motifs have been toned down in comparison with his latest films, particularly Returns.

I suspect the Joker goons wearing those sleek leather jackets and fedoras might've been replaced with mimes, who briefly appeared during the gangster assassination scene in front of City Hall.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The results would vary depending on which era of Burton's career we're talking about. I suppose we're discussing eighties Burton, in which case I think the following changes might have applied:

•   He'd have shot the film in California. There'd have been far fewer British cast members, Rick Heinrichs would probably have worked in the art department, and there'd have been no Prince songs on the soundtrack. Some of Burton's stateside regulars might have appeared in supporting roles (Jeffrey Jones, Paul Reubens, Catherine O'Hara, etc). The overall feel would have been less British and more American.
•   Bruce would probably have been portrayed as less suave and more eccentric. Burton likely would have directed Keaton to stutter and fidget more (to see Burton's influence on Keaton's performance, just compare the clip in the Batman Returns trailer of Bruce telling Selina he had a big deal come through with the version in the finished film).
•   The scenes with Dent and Mayor Borg would likely have been cut, or else played in a more comedic/satirical light.
•   Some of the more earnest romantic dialogue between Bruce and Vicki (her reminiscing about the lake she visited as a kid, the "Why won't you let me in?" conversation) would have been cut. The romance in general would have played out in a more comedic light, similar to the scene in Vicki's apartment where Bruce is trying to tell her he's Batman. I doubt Bruce and Vicki would have slept together.
•   There would have been far more Felliniesque imagery of clowns and black & white stripes.
•   Burton might have tried to get some stop-motion animation in there, perhaps in the Joker's Smilex TV commercial or to create the Batmobile shields-up effect.
•   The Joker's appearance would have been darker, scruffier and more in line with Ledger's.
•   The film would have been more violent and twisted to more closely reflect Burton's love of The Killing Joke.
•   A small dog would probably have appeared at some point.

If Burton had made his first Batman film with complete creative control in the nineties – his finest decade – then I think the following changes would have applied:

•   Most of the film would have been shot on a sound stage with Bo Welch as the production designer.
•   The colour palette would have been much more limited.
•   There'd have been a greater emphasis on social satire. We'd have had more scenes of the public reacting to the battle between Batman and the Joker.
•   There'd probably have been some ordinary location within Gotham to contrast against how weird the rest of it looks (similar to Selina's apartment in Batman Returns, or the ordered suburbs besides the chaotic castle in Edward Scissorhands).
•   Lisa Marie might have appeared in a minor nonspeaking role.
•   The gothic elements would have been even more prominent, and the high-tech elements would have displayed a 1950s b-movie influence.
•   It would have had a weaker plot but stronger characterisation.
•   It would have been darker and bloodier, but also a lot campier.

If we're talking 21st century Burton, then I'd expect the following changes:

•   Johnny Depp, obviously. And if it was made before their divorce, you can bet Helena Bonham Carter would have been in there somewhere as well.
•   Christopher Lee would have appeared, possibly as Alfred.
•   There'd have been a lot more CG effects work.
•   Wayne Manor would have been surrounded by a bright green lawn.
•   The tone would be more family friendly. Child characters would have appeared. Burton might even have included Robin. Parent-child relationships would feature prominently.
•   It probably would have stuck closer to the comics, with Burton's stamp being restricted to the visuals.
•   It would have been less cynical.
•   It probably wouldn't have been very good.

I don't think it would have been the financial hit it was. Personally, I liked the Prince songs, they fit where they were used.

First of all, something has to be said. Welcome back Kamdan. It's been a while!

As for the topic, I think Silver Nemesis handled it thoroughly with his post.

Quote from: GBglide on Thu, 13 Jul  2017, 06:44
Personally, I liked the Prince songs, they fit where they were used.
I don't think Burton would have used them, but I think they work. Strangely, they provide certain scenes with a level of atmosphere I can't really describe, namely Trust. The concept of Nicholson's Joker is that he's a party man who usually carries around music wherever he goes. In that regard I think the songs are fine, and contrast well against Elfman's darker Batman music. I think Face to Face is the definitive Batman song though.

These kinds of questions are always fascinating and fun to discuss, but I'm a big believer that we only see them differently today because we have the benefit of time and the evolution of film to contrast what has changed. Batman '89 had so many cooks in the kitchen because they were not only trying to make a reputable superhero film, which were few and far between back then, but also re-brand Batman as a serious topic for film. That never would have been left to the devices on one person. And Burton was still very young and new to the market at this stage.

I think probably the best way to theorize what a Burton Batman film in 1989 untouched by others might have resembled is to look no further than all of the test footage for the defunct Superman film he was supposed to make a few years later. I doubt Batman would have looked quite as traditional as he did and Depp probably would have been the Joker. Nicholson wouldn't have touched that project without the band of talent that was around Burton to make that first film. I will also add, I doubt Keaton would have made the movie either.  I think its easier to do it the second time around because there is an established mold already set for the key hero. But for that initial appearance, I think all the players involved were energized to do this because of the level of input from established talents involved. Given that consideration maybe Depp would have become Batman. There's a scary thought.