The RoboCop Thread

Started by The Joker, Thu, 24 Feb 2011, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Kamdan on Fri, 17 Sep  2021, 13:14
Weller had actually participated in the interviews conducted for two-disc steelbook DVD edition, so it's not as thought getting him for this new documentary is as special as they're playing it out to be. The only advantage I see here is what he has to say about the sequel which the features on the Scream Factory Blu-ray made it very apparent that it's exceptions weren't met at all from not only a financial standpoint but also creative one.

Alright, yeah. For whatever reason, it was Kurtwood Smith and Miguel Ferrer interviews for the 20th Anniversary doc really stood out to me. I seem to recall Peter Weller looking very tanned during his interview. I'll have to check it out again, as it's been awhile.

QuoteKeaton and Pfeiffer's input were achieved interviews while Nicholson and DeVito got to contribute new interviews. I don't blame them for not wanting to new interviews since the archived ones that were done for publicity when the films came out make the perspective fresher than them trying to recount where they were at that point in time.

I agree to an extent, but one of the things I've noticed having watched many pro wrestling "shoot" interviews during the 2000's, and 2010's, as opposed to now where "shoot" interviews have determinately been replaced with wrestling podcast shows, is that there are times where we the viewer/listener get more information on a subject than what we had previously, thanks to unique circumstances like the interviewer focusing upon a specific line of questions about a specific topic, or two people, going back and forth between themselves and apparently having jogged their memory to a degree. It's interesting what you can get out of people due to how the format/questioning is set up.

QuoteThere's a fantastic YouTube channel called The Bobbie Wygant Archive that features movie press junket interviews she conducted. I can recall at one point Wygant interviewing Joel Schumacher during the junket for The Client and inquiring about the then recent casting of Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey for Batman Forever and Schumacher addressing why Keaton and the rumored Robin Williams were out of the runnings. That's something you can only capture in that moment and not recall later since it's old news.

Funny you mention that, as I actually just became aware of that channel about 6 months or so ago when I purchased the 'Indicator Series' release of Brian DePalma's "Body Double" that featured a vintage interview, just prior to the release of the film if I am remembering correctly, with Craig Wasson (also on Bobbie's youtube channel) which wasn't on the previously released DVD SE. Wygant's youtube channel also features vintage "Body Double" interviews with DePalma himself, Melanie Griffith, and the lovely Deborah Shelton as well. There's definitely a wealth of vintage goodies on that channel to say the least.

QuoteThose Friday the 13th and Elm Street documentaries are great examples of what the audiences wants out these. There was a 15 minute clip from the RoboDoc that was subsequently taken down that showcased what they're trying to achieve with a bunch of unnecessary graphics and wacky editing that seems like they want to win an award for instead of sticking to the main objective of a documentary: to inform. When you are shifting the attention away from the subject and make it the editor's showcase and prolonging your intended release date, you seriously need to reevaluate your priorities. Since there's no release date in sight, we all would've been better off if they are just handed over their interview footage to another company for it to be included on the last Blu-ray releases.

That's unfortunate. Having just taken a look on cultscreenings.co.uk's website, I apparently have seen one of their documentaries before, which was the "You're So Cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night" documentary that was included on the latest blu ray release. I only viewed this doc once, but I thought it was well put together. Especially with William Ragsdale as the horror host homage for Roddy McDowall's Peter Vincent. However, I was consciously aware that the version I watched was indeed edited, as the section of the doc going over "Fright Night II" is regrettably missing. That's only found on the blu ray release of the doc itself from what I gather.

I've had some interest in checking out another doc produced by this company, "Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II", but I've never actually pulled the trigger on that one. Not that I am optimistic, but hopefully that 15 min video you mentioned got absolutely ratioed with down votes to where following the circumstances of Peter Weller deciding to participate, this company then had some justification in going back and being much more straightforward with the documentary format, rather than what was your description of putting too much emphasis on trying to be overzealous with graphics and editing.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 15 Sep  2021, 22:04
Though there is this documentary to look forward to.

Been waiting on this one for quite awhile.

I read about this doc years ago but forgot it was even coming out. I'll certainly give it a look when it's finally released. I recently watched two of my other favourite Weller movies – Buckaroo Banzai (1984) and Leviathan (1989) – and now I'm in the mood to see him in something new, even if it's just a documentary.

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 17 Sep  2021, 15:07I've had some interest in checking out another doc produced by this company, "Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II", but I've never actually pulled the trigger on that one.

I watched some of the Leviathan documentary years ago after someone posted in on YouTube, but what little I remember of it wasn't very good. It was mostly just Clive Barker's friends and colleagues repeatedly stating what a genius he is. To be fair, I didn't watch the whole thing, so it might have gotten more interesting after the first half hour.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 24 Sep  2021, 15:02
I watched some of the Leviathan documentary years ago after someone posted in on YouTube, but what little I remember of it wasn't very good. It was mostly just Clive Barker's friends and colleagues repeatedly stating what a genius he is. To be fair, I didn't watch the whole thing, so it might have gotten more interesting after the first half hour.

Wow. Ok. I sincerely hope it would. Especially considering the Leviathan doc's running time is advertised to be around 9 hours long!

I mean, I like Clive Barker alright. I like the earlier Hellraiser movies (like, not love, but like), but if the doc just continually goes in circles with Barker's friends/colleagues fawning all over him, then ... yeah, perhaps never seriously seeking this one out was the right call all along.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Fri, 8 Jul 2022, 12:37 #113 Last Edit: Fri, 8 Jul 2022, 14:03 by Gotham Knight
Peter Weller is reprising his role as Murphy in RoboCop: Rogue City, a new videogame scheduled for release in June 2023.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  8 Jul  2022, 12:37
Peter Weller is reprising his role as Murphy in RoboCop: Rogue City, a new videogame scheduled for release in June 2023.

Not necessarily. The trailer came across as a budget release in disguise that's trying to distract you and make you assume things. It never says that they've hired Peter Weller. What you actually get is a licensed sound clip of his voice from the first movie. I had reservations from the beginning. This does not alleviate those feelings. 

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri,  8 Jul  2022, 14:03It never says that they've hired Peter Weller.

From the statement below the video:

QuoteWelcome to Detroit; crime runs rampant as the city lies on the edge of ruin, people fighting for scraps as others live extravagant lives of luxury. Control of the Detroit Police Department is given to the Omni Consumer Products corporation in an attempt to restore order. You are that solution, RoboCop, a cyborg tasked with protecting the city.

The triumphant return of RoboCop wouldn't feel right without the man who brought so much life into the role, and we're excited to reveal that Peter Weller will be performing voiceover work on the game. Enjoy this first look at gameplay and for the record, "dead or alive, you're coming with me!"

RoboCop: Rogue City will be coming to PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch in June 2023.

I'm on board with the concept and hoping for the best. These developers made a Terminator game, which I haven't played, but apparently it was decent. Going first person was the right choice here and what we see of the shooting looks good. No recoil, not bothering with taking cover and gory splatter when the bullets hit.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  8 Jul  2022, 14:22
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri,  8 Jul  2022, 14:03It never says that they've hired Peter Weller.

From the statement below the video:

QuoteWelcome to Detroit; crime runs rampant as the city lies on the edge of ruin, people fighting for scraps as others live extravagant lives of luxury. Control of the Detroit Police Department is given to the Omni Consumer Products corporation in an attempt to restore order. You are that solution, RoboCop, a cyborg tasked with protecting the city.

The triumphant return of RoboCop wouldn't feel right without the man who brought so much life into the role, and we're excited to reveal that Peter Weller will be performing voiceover work on the game. Enjoy this first look at gameplay and for the record, "dead or alive, you're coming with me!"

RoboCop: Rogue City will be coming to PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch in June 2023.
I stand corrected.

Looks pretty cool.

Apparently, I am horrible at first person shooter games (trying to play first person shooter Bond video games, or Call of Duty with friends has unequivocally proven this), but then again, it's Robocop. Anything Robocop deserves a look! If it doesn't work out for me, I can always go back to the outstanding '88 arcade game.

Looking pretty mid tier, but solid.