Outrage culture

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 03:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 22 Aug  2018, 23:26
Oh without question. Hollywood is one of many high profile industries being used as a platform to push hidden agendas and make people quake with fear. Sadly what is missing in these industries and in many segments of society is strong leadership to stand up to these public shame campaigns that are little more than shakedowns. People need to quit fearing criticism because that fear is allowing those who complain to make decisions for all of us. In this instance, these are movies and if people can not watch these films without feeling compelled to be "offended", then they need to stay in bed. There's allot worse out there to bother them.

Agreed. As a matter of fact, I think we are starting to see Hollywood's public shame campaigns coming back to haunt them. Jessica Chastain, who I said earlier that she retweeted a blog complaining about the Amazon costumes in JL as well as championing more film roles for women, came under heavy criticism herself because she decided to star in a film that was meant to be directed by Matthew Newton, who is notorious in Australia for assaulting his girlfriends. People are seeing through the charade and calling out the double standards by those involved in the media and entertainment.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Wed, 29 Aug  2018, 17:32
It's funny how Oliva, an insider who worked on the film, has to argue with outsiders who didn't, but think they know more about the film. Besides, anyone who argues there was never a Snyder cut doesn't know anything about filmmaking. Of course there was a Snyder cut.

I've seen some people on Twitter having the nerve to insult and argue with Oliva even after he has been making these revelations about the film. It's disgusting.

But what do you expect from these degenerates? I bet you any money that they'll use scenes where Bruce Wayne drinks some bourbon in BvS and JL to make tasteless jokes about Affleck's alcohol problems in real life. To me, they're just as despicable as those joking about Heath Ledger's method acting being responsible for his death when he played TDK's Joker. And yes, I'm sad to say, I've seen that too.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Apparently, BOF's Jett made claims about Affleck's Batman script on Twitter, saying it didn't have a story and that Affleck didn't have the passion for it. Oliva replied back, saying he read it, and that it was the best Batman script he ever read.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Fri,  7 Sep  2018, 04:21
Apparently, BOF's Jett made claims about Affleck's Batman script on Twitter, saying it didn't have a story and that Affleck didn't have the passion for it. Oliva replied back, saying he read it, and that it was the best Batman script he ever read.
The only time when it was ever okay to trust whatever Jett posted was back in the Nolan days when Nolan's wife was sending him approved "leaks". Otherwise, his "sources" are pretty questionable. A grain of salt goes a long way with whatever he says these days.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Wed, 29 Aug  2018, 17:32
It's funny how Oliva, an insider who worked on the film, has to argue with outsiders who didn't, but think they know more about the film. Besides, anyone who argues there was never a Snyder cut doesn't know anything about filmmaking. Of course there was a Snyder cut.

There's a good chance there were multiple cuts of the film that were assembled with his input. Movies aren't just edited one time and sent down the line. They would be  very rough, with animatics, blue screen, a temp score, footage that hasn't been color corrected, rough audio, unsharpened pacing, and missing plenty of inserts. It probably wouldn't represent the final film that might've happened had he been allowed to fully shape it. It also wouldn't necessarily be the film he originally envisioned prior to BVS' release and its subsequent shouty, irrational "I didn't like a movie! The end is nigh! How dare they make the dark Superman movie I asked for when Superman Returns came out!" criticism.

I'm revisiting this again, because although the comment wasn't raised at Jay Oliva specifically, loudmouth movie blogger John Campea told off the official #ReleaseTheSnyderCut Twitter page and told them the cut didn't exist, despite clues, evidence and testimony by those involved in the production and the director himself.

Quote from: John Cretino
No, it doesn't exist. Snyder was talking ON STAGE and confirmed he was talking about an assembly cut. Every movie has different stages of assembly cuts. They are NOT completed versions of the films. Get over it.

https://twitter.com/johncampea/status/1137507656082452480

Apparently, Campea blocked the RTSnyderCut page too. Ma che pezzo di merda.

Oliva replied and got straight to the point. Very calm and swiftly.

Quote from: Jay Oliva
Jesus I'm not even gonna get into this. John please do us all a favor and give it a rest. Seriously you are embarrassing yourself.

https://twitter.com/jayoliva1/status/1137553440937193478

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

There's a sense in which the basement-dwelling blogger is probably correct. He seems to want to define "Snyder cut" as "locked picture, completed effects, finish Junkie XL score". If that's one's standard for whether a Snyder cut exists or not then no, one probably doesn't exist.

However, my understanding is that a locked picture does exist with something like 85% completed effects. Finishing those effects obviously would only require another 15%. Honestly, the Junkie score would probably be the most expensive part of the process at this point. A "complete" cut doesn't exist, as such. But it wouldn't take a whole lot to create a complete cut.

Put it this way, a completed Snyder cut of JL is apparently a hell of a lot more realistic to make now (or in the future) than a completed Donner cut of Superman II ever would've been after about 1985 or so.

Despite being proven otherwise, that cretino Campea had apparently doubled down on his stance on his little YouTube channel. Whatever, he can say and believe whatever he wants. Lots of people don't think he has much credibility nowadays, his praise for The Last Jedi made him unpopular, and he gets accused of being a shill ever since.

Meanwhile, there has been this screenshot going around on social media that Ava DuVernay, the director who was hired for the proposed New Gods movie, had liked somebody's tweet criticising the Amazon costumes.

I don't know much about Ava DuVernay other than she's a bit of a media darling in the SJW community, and her movie - A Wrinkle in Time - was a box office failure despite it being a Disney movie.

Regardless, it only goes to show once again how hypocritical and out of touch these loudmouths are. I bet if a man directed the WW movie, this close-up shot of Diana's legs climbing up the trenches at the beginning of the No Man's Land scene would've faced backlash.

But because it's directed by Patty Jenkins, I guess it's okay!  ::)

We live in an age where women make six-figure incomes on Instagram. I don't think women have much of a right to complain about "the male gaze".

Luckily, most women don't. Only unattractive ones do. The only issues female journalists write passionately about are topics where they themselves will be considered hotter once their novel social engineering ideas take root. Melissa Silverstein doesn't mind women being fetishized. Rather, she doesn't meet today's beauty standards so she resents not being fetishized.

In other words, Melissa Silverstein is only made because she thinks the wrong women are being fetishized.

It's amazing to think how ZSJL was lauded over how the Amazons were portrayed, in contrast to how Josstice L depicted them.

Whoever thought that emphasising on the bravery of Hippolyta and co during Steppenwolf's attack on Themyscira would've won over the vast majority of critics?

"Daughters of Themyscira...show him your fear!"

"WE HAVE NO FEAR!"

And it is a great line, probably my favourite of the whole film. The whole scene of Hippolyta protecting the Mother Box is made better with the stronger Amazons smashing the pillars and sacrificing their own lives in a desperate bid to trap Steppenwolf inside the collapsing dome. For once, Snyder's detractors praised the strength of the female characters, instead of trying to make a cheap political point over their costumes.

Compare that to Whedon's version of the Themyscira scene, Hippolyta seems to be afraid of Steppenwolf, as he goes on about "Fear" and "You will all love me" and such nonsense. I would've said the scene was sabotaged to make Snyder look bad, if I didn't know about Whedon was probably projecting his own issues on women. But of course, I have no doubt that both things were on the agenda in Josstice L.

Samantha Win, who played one the Amazons that died while guarding the Mother Box from Steppenwolf, outlines the differences between ZSJL and Josstice L.

In 2021, Snyder's four-hour vision of the film was finally released on HBO Max to acclaim from both critics and audiences for its stark differences.

If you watch the two cuts side-by-side, one of the biggest changes is how the 2021 film, often referred to as the "Snyder Cut," portrays its female characters on screen. The 2017 Joss Whedon version contains more than a dozen cringeworthy moments directed at Wonder Woman, Lois Lane, the Amazons, and more you can see here.

All of these moments are removed from the "Snyder Cut," instead highlighting women's strength in each scene.

In May, while speaking with Samantha Win about her role in Snyder's "Army of the Dead," Insider asked the actress about the differences in the two films. Win plays one of the Amazon warriors, Euboea, seen briefly early on in the films. She dies heroically while serving Queen Hippolyta to protect one of three Motherboxes from the film's villain, Steppenwolf.

"When I watched the 2017 version, it almost made me think, 'Oh, that's just the performance I gave and that's just what the story was,' because they had used much of what I had filmed, but it just looked different than I thought it was going to," Win said of watching the theatrical release. "The connection wasn't as strong. I just wasn't feeling it as much."

In the theatrical cut, a large focus was on Steppenwolf sexualizing the Amazons while trying to acquire the box. Instead of looking like powerful warriors, they were easily knocked around and looked like they were desperately on the run from a monster who was excited by the thrill of the chase.

Win didn't return for any reshoots of the film when Whedon took over the film. So when she learned "Zack Snyder's Justice League" would debut on HBO Max, she initially thought her scenes would look "somewhat similar."

That wasn't the case.

"It was very surprising to me how different it felt just edited and put together by someone else," Win said.

Snyder's cut put the focus back on the Amazons instead of on Steppenwolf, who comes off as a predatory creep in the theatrical release. Now, instead of them fearing him, it looks if he's at the mercy of these god-like warriors.

"Zack Snyder's Justice League" also restored a few moments with Euboea where we now see her saved by Hippolyta and wrangling up horses for the two to escape before her untimely demise. The scenes give her death more weight so when you see her slip away, there's more of an emotional attachment to the character's sacrifice.

When Steppenwolf escapes, the 2021 film has an extra beat to pay tribute to the fallen warrior.

"In Zack's version, I did feel the connection with the queen more. I felt like it meant more," Win said. "There was more significance put on my character, Euboea, as representing all of the Amazonians. It felt so much more significant and symbolic for all of the women on the island, instead of it just being kind of a random death."

"It meant something in 'Zack Snyder's Justice League,'" Win continued, adding, "I didn't know that it could be like that. So it was a very pleasant surprise. I just had no idea until I watched it and I felt a lot better about myself and my performance, but also it was a night and day difference in how I felt about women in the movie and the emotional journey of the characters. It just reinforced the idea that the director and the eyes putting it together is so important."

Snyder's version of the film also cut out a line where, after acquiring the Motherbox, Steppenwolf declares that all of the Amazons will love him.

Win said she didn't catch that difference while watching, but acknowledged how the line delivered "a change in tone."

"You will love me," Win said, repeating Steppenwolf's dialogue. "I think we've all, as women, met men like that, and it's a huge red flag. To put that into a character and have that in a movie that children and young people are seeing all over the world is not the greatest."

https://www.insider.com/zack-snyders-justice-league-samantha-win-amazon-scene-2021-11

This is one of the many reasons why I'll never take anybody seriously if they reckon Josstice L is better. Get the f*** outta here!

It makes me laugh when people accuse Snyder of being a creep while Whedon is the feminist. Say what you will about Snyder, but shows off female characters being brave fighters, even to the very end. Whedon, on the other hand, is far gratuitous when it comes to objectifying women. The falling down the chest joke was something that started in the original Buffy The Vampire Slayer back in 1992, and he recycled it ever since.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 21 Nov  2021, 08:12It makes me laugh when people accuse Snyder of being a creep while Whedon is the feminist.
Nobody says that anymore. Whedon's star has faded and it's not coming back. And I mean, Whedon's brand was always stronk wamen. So, when the brand gets broken, it's permanent. There's no coming back from that.

Whedon's halo is gone, never to return.