Joel Schumacher apologizes for "Batman & Robin"

Started by Sandman, Fri, 19 Jun 2009, 03:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  2 Feb  2010, 21:43
Let me get this straight.  You guys think B&R is worse than Steel, Tank Girl and Spawn???

Wow...

I haven't seen those Colors, but I'm guessing that they are at least as bad as B&R (the clips I've seen of Spawn certainly testify to that).  If we are simply judging B&R by other comic book movies, I would cite Howard the Duck, Supergirl, The Return of the Swamp Thing and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze as being worse.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

You know, I?m glad they made those god awful Schumacher films. Yes, glad. I?m glad the most horrible filmic Batman exists as a lingering reminder of exactly not what to do. That?s the only way to look at his era and contribution. After him, I think we?re basically guaranteed quality Batman films. From now on, they?re going to think things through clearly. You would hope so, anyway. So Schumacher, thanks a ton.

Wed, 6 Jul 2011, 05:09 #12 Last Edit: Wed, 6 Jul 2011, 19:10 by Slash Man
Appologizing for it? Despite the outcome, he should at least stand by his work, even with the studio interference.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 13 Feb  2010, 14:09
After him, I think we're basically guaranteed quality Batman films. From now on, they're going to think things through clearly.

You're tempting fate, DK.  ::)

Quote from: GBglide on Wed,  6 Jul  2011, 08:30
You're tempting fate, DK.  ::)
I may have been under the influence when I wrote that.

Just that post, though. Nothing else. I know that. I think.

Back then Warner Bros. didn't know how to control the Batman franchise. Still don't today really.

Here's how I see it, Schumacher wanted a dark Batman, but the studio said they wanted family-friendly, so Joel tried to incorporate both, and after substancial editing, we got Batman Forever. Seeing that they really want campy, he does just that. The studio didn't really care; they looked at the dailies, and they liked it. So he kept on going, and then we got Batman & Robin. Again, it didn't appear that there was any second opinion there, Joel just did exactly what the studio wanted. And after that failure, he saw this as his opportunity to finally make a dark Batman, but then the studio got rid of him for doing what they told him to.

Again, no one knows how it could've turned out, but I at least he his side as the story, and definately wouldn't place sole blame on him (which is probably the reason for that unnecessary apology).

There is definitely blame on both sides.
It does seem like WB got what they wanted. But there were things Schumacher fought for which clearly didn't work; Shumacher fought and won to get the nipples on the batsuit (WB did not want it or Robins earling). WB wanted Anthony Hopkins or Patrick Stewart as Mr. Freeze, Shumacher fought for Arnold.

I'm kind of glad it exists as well. There are many different versions of Batman ranging from light to dark. We got a modern lighter film. Most people don't like it but some do. I think it had to happen at some point but at least we got 2 and a half films before it did; What if Batman and Robin was made in 1989? That would have killed the franchise just as it got started. We got our light film, most people didnt like it, now it's gone.

Batman Forever did have some dark elements and there were  a couple ofdarker elements edited out from the final cut.