My biggest beef with Schumacher

Started by Sandman, Mon, 15 Sep 2008, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Clooney played the Batman he wanted to play. His Batman wasnt "dark". Wasnt depressed. Wasnt brooding. He was the 60's Batman.  He didnt want to do what Keaton did, he didnt want to do what Val did. If anything, he did what Adam West did.

Quote from: shadowbat69 on Fri, 12 Dec  2008, 03:21
Clooney played the Batman he wanted to play. His Batman wasnt "dark". Wasnt depressed. Wasnt brooding. He was the 60's Batman.  He didnt want to do what Keaton did, he didnt want to do what Val did. If anything, he did what Adam West did.
Shadow how dare you, West is one million times better than Clooney!!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: shadowbat69 on Fri, 12 Dec  2008, 03:21
Sad this is, he did it unintentionally. West wins by a mile.

Adam West is still the frickin man!!!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Schumacher would be the first to admit that Batman and Robin particularly was partly his fault. However, one look at the special features for each of his respective films and it becomes pretty obvious that WB is the one to blame for the downfall of the franchise. Maybe Schumacher wasn't the best choice, but apparently he originally wanted to do Batman: Year One with Michael Keaton, and I can't imagine even Schumacher would butcher a classic like that with neon lights and corny one-liners.

As far as Batman and Robin goes, though he is partly responsible undoubtedly, it was WB's idea to make the film more toy friendly.

Clooney was excellent in 'O Brother Where Art Thou?', 'Syriana,' and 'Good Night, and Good Luck.'

I'm sure he could do Batman justice with the right director. 

Sun, 4 Jan 2009, 08:46 #26 Last Edit: Sun, 4 Jan 2009, 08:47 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: Batmoney on Sun,  4 Jan  2009, 04:06
Schumacher would be the first to admit that Batman and Robin particularly was partly his fault. However, one look at the special features for each of his respective films and it becomes pretty obvious that WB is the one to blame for the downfall of the franchise. Maybe Schumacher wasn't the best choice, but apparently he originally wanted to do Batman: Year One with Michael Keaton, and I can't imagine even Schumacher would butcher a classic like that with neon lights and corny one-liners.

As far as Batman and Robin goes, though he is partly responsible undoubtedly, it was WB's idea to make the film more toy friendly.
WB made the decision for the films to be more "toyetic".  Shlockmaker made them suck.  A gifted storyteller can work within the parameters he's given.  WB wanted lighter, more kid-friendly films for merchandising purposes.  Nobody forced Shlockmaker to throw in bat credit cards, one liners so stupid that even David Goyer blushes and a goofy wannabe Two Face.

WB should be blamed for the decision.  Shlockmaker should be blamed for the films that we got.

Quote from: greggbray on Sun,  4 Jan  2009, 06:08
Clooney was excellent in 'O Brother Where Art Thou?', 'Syriana,' and 'Good Night, and Good Luck.'

I'm sure he could do Batman justice with the right director.
You are, of course, entitled to your opinions.  Even if, as in this case, they're totally wrong.  :)

Long time, no see.  Where you been keeping yourself, Bray?

I've been hybernating.  :)  It's been an intense semester, and I've had a number of professional developments, both in terms of productions and in terms of academic papers, etc.

Things are well.  :) Gearing up for January 15th, of course!

In terms of Clooney, I recall several interviews (they're archived on BOF), that included statements of remorse from Clooney.  That he really wanted to do a grounded, Frank Miller style Batman, and he felt he had let the fans down.

Yes, he bears responsibility for his performance, but we must remember that there was a maestro and a composter for this orchestra--a Schumacher film has little collaboration or direction with in it.  I have a friend who is a professional art director, and he worked with Clooney on 8MM.  He said the man was drunk every day, and what he was looking to express in the film altered from scene to scene without consistency.  Sometimes from take to take.

Clooney, as far as I'm concerned has redeemed himself.  And I'm right.  Absolutely right.  :)

Quote from: greggbray on Sun,  4 Jan  2009, 17:43
I have a friend who is a professional art director, and he worked with Clooney on 8MM.  He said the man was drunk every day, and what he was looking to express in the film altered from scene to scene without consistency.  Sometimes from take to take.

Don't you mean Joel Schumacher?

^ Whoops!  Yep.  My typing fingers moved faster than my brain.  :)