Favorite Shot In Any Batman Film

Started by BatmanFurst, Sat, 2 Feb 2019, 00:05

Previous topic - Next topic
This film deservedly gets a lot of hate, but I just wanted to give it a bit of love. Batman ejecting from the Batmobile in mid-air and gliding back down is amazing, one of my favorite shots in any Batman film thus far. I remember rewinding that part over and over again when I was a kid.

I agree. I rather enjoy all the wire work done in this movie: the surfing down the dinosaur tale, Robin's pole vault, all of it had a fun, eye candy quality to it.

Arguably my favorite shot was in that movie too. ;) :P

I've grown to love the visuals in this movie. There's an argument to be made that a modern Batman film shouldn't look like this, but Schumacher had a very specific vision in mind and he delivered that vision with aplomb. Some may call it gaudy, but I like the cinematography in Batman & Robin. I like the use of shadows and colour, and I like the production design. There are so many striking images throughout the film.

I wouldn't necessarily want a future Batman movie to look like this, but I've gained an appreciation for what Schumacher was trying to do. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and I get that. But for all this movie's problems, I genuinely enjoy the way it looks.

And since I've probably just lost whatever credibility I may have had by admitting that, I'll also say that this movie's version of Gotham City is one of my favourites. This Gotham feels like a fantasy city built entirely from the ground up, just like the Gotham in Batman Returns. In fact the architectural style isn't a million miles away from what we saw in BR. Just take away the colours, and many of the buildings look strikingly similar. Both cities were influenced by early 20th century fascist architecture; BR was influenced by German architects like Albert Speer, while B&R's production design takes many of its cues from Russian Constructivism.

Like the BR Gotham, this version is filled with statues. But these statues are designed to evoke a neoclassical aesthetic. This is further evidenced in Batman and Robin's cuirasses and the pediment above the portico of the museum at the start of the film. The influence of ancient Greek and Roman art adds a mythical dimension to the film's production design. This is something I would like to see more of in future Batman movies.

The B&R Gotham is also more Gothic than many people give it credit for. I've spotted a fair number of gargoyles on the rooftops, and the portrayal of Arkham Asylum is superb.

The visuals in the Arkham games were clearly influenced by Burton's films and Batman Begins, but I'm pretty sure they were influenced by Schumacher's movies too. I'm probably alone in this, but I'd love to play a free-roaming videogame set in the B&R version of Gotham. Imagine all the whacky locations you could visit: the Turkish baths, the ice cream factory, Gotham Observatory, the museum with the giant dinosaur. That'd be fun.

I rather enjoy B&R as a riff on 1950's Batman comics. People always mention the 60's show in reference to B&R and I think that's because the show is their clearest reference for a lighter approach to Batman. But the Betty-Kane-meets-Daphne-Pennyworth take on Batgirl, the oversized props and architecture and others things all seem more 1950's-based to me. This is sort of a Sprang or Moldoff version of Batman brought into a very neon light.

There have been several dark Batman movies in the past. There will be a lot more dark Batman movies in the future. So I value B&R was a lighter take on a very overlooked and underappreciated era of Batman.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  3 Feb  2019, 17:02
I've grown to love the visuals in this movie. There's an argument to be made that a modern Batman film shouldn't look like this, but Schumacher had a very specific vision in mind and he delivered that vision with aplomb. Some may call it gaudy, but I like the cinematography in Batman & Robin. I like the use of shadows and colour, and I like the production design. There are so many striking images throughout the film.

I wouldn't necessarily want a future Batman movie to look like this, but I've gained an appreciation for what Schumacher was trying to do. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and I get that. But for all this movie's problems, I genuinely enjoy the way it looks.

And since I've probably just lost whatever credibility I may have had by admitting that, I'll also say that this movie's version of Gotham City is one of my favourites. This Gotham feels like a fantasy city built entirely from the ground up, just like the Gotham in Batman Returns. In fact the architectural style isn't a million miles away from what we saw in BR. Just take away the colours, and many of the buildings look strikingly similar. Both cities were influenced by early 20th century fascist architecture; BR was influenced by German architects like Albert Speer, while B&R's production design takes many of its cues from Russian Constructivism.

Like the BR Gotham, this version is filled with statues. But these statues are designed to evoke a neoclassical aesthetic. This is further evidenced in Batman and Robin's cuirasses and the pediment above the portico of the museum at the start of the film. The influence of ancient Greek and Roman art adds a mythical dimension to the film's production design. This is something I would like to see more of in future Batman movies.

The B&R Gotham is also more Gothic than many people give it credit for. I've spotted a fair number of gargoyles on the rooftops, and the portrayal of Arkham Asylum is superb.

The visuals in the Arkham games were clearly influenced by Burton's films and Batman Begins, but I'm pretty sure they were influenced by Schumacher's movies too. I'm probably alone in this, but I'd love to play a free-roaming videogame set in the B&R version of Gotham. Imagine all the whacky locations you could visit: the Turkish baths, the ice cream factory, Gotham Observatory, the museum with the giant dinosaur. That'd be fun.

You aren't a lone ranger on this one. I love the look too. With the right story and script it could have been a classic. If I was in charge of the look and feel of making a Batman movie I would probably go for blending color with a '40s noir atmosphere like an old comic book. Smooth jazz soundtrack, a blue Batmobile that looks more like a Cadillac than a tank, etc. Mmm. I think it'd rock. And I'm totally with you on B&R Gotham game too.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  3 Feb  2019, 17:02

That shot of Batman in the Batmobile with his eyes highlighted feels like an homage to the Burton films. Speaking of which I've never liked that Schumacher ripped off Batman crashing through the skylight in both of his films. I always associate that with the 89 film.

Tue, 5 Feb 2019, 18:41 #7 Last Edit: Wed, 6 Feb 2019, 02:00 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  3 Feb  2019, 20:21There have been several dark Batman movies in the past. There will be a lot more dark Batman movies in the future. So I value B&R was a lighter take on a very overlooked and underappreciated era of Batman.

That's how I feel about it. This film holds tremendous nostalgic value for me. Every negative thing that can be said about it has already been said. So at this point, I just enjoy it for what it is.

It would take a brave filmmaker to attempt a lighter Batman film today. At least in live action. Batman: The Brave and the Bold and The Lego Batman Movie have shown that funny versions of Batman can still work. But they're difficult to pull off. The script and performances have to strike a very delicate balance. My favourite live action Batman film is still the 1966 movie, and I'd love to see someone attempt a lighter, funnier interpretation in the future. But I don't see it happening any time soon. Even if it did, a huge portion of the fan base would likely reject the film without giving it a fair chance.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun,  3 Feb  2019, 20:57You aren't a lone ranger on this one. I love the look too. With the right story and script it could have been a classic. If I was in charge of the look and feel of making a Batman movie I would probably go for blending color with a '40s noir atmosphere like an old comic book. Smooth jazz soundtrack, a blue Batmobile that looks more like a Cadillac than a tank, etc. Mmm. I think it'd rock. And I'm totally with you on B&R Gotham game too.

Now that's a Batman film I'd like to see. I imagine mixing a jazz club ambience with elements of film noir would result in an atmosphere similar to Batman: The Animated Series. Something dark, yet colourful. Gritty, yet stylish. And after the more grounded visual sensibility displayed in the Nolan and (to an extent) DCEU films, I'd welcome something different.

And I agree about the story and script in B&R. I think the key issue is that the film needed to be funnier. They needed sharper dialogue with more irony and fewer puns. And while I appreciate the energy that Thurman and Schwarzenegger brought to their respective roles, I think the performances needed to be a lot drier. If they'd accomplished this, then audiences might have been more receptive to the movie's visual merits.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  5 Feb  2019, 18:41
My favourite live action Batman film is still the 1966 movie, and I'd love to see someone attempt a lighter, funnier interpretation in the future.
I can see why. A wide range of villains, a good selection of vehicles and an engaging romantic subplot for Bruce. A fine template for a Batman film.

I rate the 1966 movie just for Bruce Wayne kicking the villains' asses while making his escape from captivity. Best Bruce Wayne scene ever.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei