The Making of Batman & Robin

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 10 Apr 2013, 12:53

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not sure if this was ever shown on this forum, but I found this behind-the-scenes featurette from another forum where Schumacher, O'Donnell, Kilmer, and Clooney express their regrets how the fourth movie turned out.

There were some comments being said I'm sure had been discussed here many times, but I thought Clooney showing his respect towards Keaton for being an icon as Batman was a highlight; including how Clooney admitting to feeling unsure of himself that he could ever rival Keaton or even Kilmer before he took the role...which sadly he turned out to be right in many respects.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Wed, 10 Apr 2013, 15:24 #1 Last Edit: Wed, 10 Apr 2013, 23:53 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 10 Apr  2013, 12:53There were some comments being said I'm sure had been discussed here many times, but I thought Clooney showing his respect towards Keaton for being an icon as Batman was a highlight; including how Clooney admitting to feeling unsure of himself that he could ever rival Keaton or even Kilmer before he took the role...which sadly he turned out to be right in many respects.
If we're talking about the dark, driven Batman, I would agree. But as far as being a lighter, less serious Batman, I have a hard time picturing anybody else in B&R. Normally it's not my business to put anything past Val Kilmer because the guy is Actor Par Excellence but Clooney brought a sort of fun, borderline whimsical energy to the role that I don't think Kilmer would've necessarily done. And Keaton... just no. Clooney succeeded at what Schumacher hired him to do in my estimation and after all when you come right down to it in retrospect ultimately when all is said and done at the end of the day once all the dust has cleared in the final analysis, that's what any actor is supposed to do. In the long run.

EDIT- That video is popping up all over the place on Facebook today. Are people only just now realizing it's out there or something?

QuoteEDIT- That video is popping up all over the place on Facebook today. Are people only just now realizing it's out there or something?
Must be a slow news day so everyone decided to relive this.

Nonetheless it's a shame WB demanded the film to be "toyetic" - no doubt that kind of pressure was responsible for the lame one-liners too. Funnily enough, I had for many years kept having false memories of the film being more gritty like it was depicted in the official comic adaptation. The comic itself wasn't great and still kept some of the dumb one-liners, but I still thought it was a bit of an improvement compared to the film.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei