David Ayer on deleted scenes

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 23:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Here is an extended version of the Batman-Harley Quinn flashback, albeit with missing sound effects and dialogue. Includes a brief moment of Batman trying to pry open the roof of the car, which was mentioned on the previous page.

#ReleaseTheAyerCut
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 25 Nov  2018, 01:37
David Ayer went on Twitter once again today to reveal something else was cancelled. It turned out there was concept art containing ideas that would've tied directly to BvS and JL.

Quote from: David Ayer
Enchantress was under the control of a mother box and Steppenwolfe was prepping an invasion with a boom tube. Had to lose that then the JL story arcs evolved.

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1066495270702145536

I need to revisit this again, because Ayer revealed the decision to scrap the Apokolips elements were made "late in the game".

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1211051765870628864

He's keeping mum, but it has fans speculating these plot points may have been filmed.

It's incredible how the original plans for the DCEU had a lot of world-building that complimented each film with one another...only to see it all scrapped.

The more I read into all of this, and the backstory surrounding key people like Geoff Johns getting involved, the more I believe the reshooting and studio meddling was a deliberate sabotage. Snyder's Justice League and possibly Ayer's Suicide Squad films are being withheld...and to think somebody here says we should just get over it and look forward to reboots?

Nah. Get f***ed.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I regard the DCEU as we knew it to be a bit of a cautionary tale about creative control. That should not be given lightly and it should not be given to very many people. One reason Snyder lost is because of a perfect storm of lukewarm audience reception to BVS and the appointing of certain people who know precisely jacknothing about the type of filmmaking Snyder was attempting to do.

One reason Marvel has been successful is because Feige is really the guiding creative overseer of the whole shebang. It's fine for one director or another to have a vision for something but in the end Feige is the final word on just about everything.

Ayer is probably bound by an NDA even now. So my guess is there are many things he's still forbidden from talking about publicly. But my guess is that these NDA's are likely why Snyder, Ayer and probably even Jenkins haven't been more forthright about what REALLY happened with the DCEU. My suspicion is that if they could be totally honest, Geoff Johns wouldn't be able to set foot in San Diego ever again without meeting some seriously torqued off fans.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 30 Dec  2019, 04:35
I regard the DCEU as we knew it to be a bit of a cautionary tale about creative control. That should not be given lightly and it should not be given to very many people. One reason Snyder lost is because of a perfect storm of lukewarm audience reception to BVS and the appointing of certain people who know precisely jacknothing about the type of filmmaking Snyder was attempting to do.

One reason Marvel has been successful is because Feige is really the guiding creative overseer of the whole shebang. It's fine for one director or another to have a vision for something but in the end Feige is the final word on just about everything.

Be that as it may, we need to acknowledge another factor: Hollywood studios are far too reactionary nowadays. As much as it is true that Feige oversees its overall direction, I'm not so sure the MCU could survive if it were starting out today. Don't forget that during the pre-Disney era, The Incredible Hulk had a rather modest box office run as the second film of the whole franchise. In today's era, where studios are desperate for instant financial success, I can only imagine they would hesitate to pursue any plans of making an Avengers film because of TIH's performance. Or any sort of further world-building, for that matter. So as much as these Hollywood executives want to cash in quickly, they're kidding themselves if they don't think it takes some time to invest in the long term for a shared universe. Basically, what I'm saying is Warner Butchers abandoned a fledgling franchise, and the fools still don't realise it.

Ayer is probably bound by an NDA even now. So my guess is there are many things he's still forbidden from talking about publicly. But my guess is that these NDA's are likely why Snyder, Ayer and probably even Jenkins haven't been more forthright about what REALLY happened with the DCEU. My suspicion is that if they could be totally honest, Geoff Johns wouldn't be able to set foot in San Diego ever again without meeting some seriously torqued off fans.

I agree that Ayer must be treading carefully because of the NDA. But as for Snyder? Even though he hasn't called out what happened behind the scenes, he still has been VERY outspoken. He even went so far to declare his JL movie still hasn't come out - never mind him saying he has never seen the theatrical cut to this day. And with the amount of unseen material he posted online this year, I would've thought Warner would've put a gag order on him in an effort to save face. After all, he's still credited for directing the theatrical cut, although we know untrue it is.

While I can expect Snyder and Ayer to have some unkind words for Johns, I'm not so sure Jenkins would. She and Johns worked together to write the story AND the screenplay for the upcoming Wonder Woman sequel. Plus, Johns apparently has story credit for Aquaman.

While Johns may no longer be the head of DC Films, his presence is still felt. Unfortunately. You know, for a guy who wrote a story as dark as Batman: Earth One Vol. 1, I find his complaints about Snyder's run in the DCEU to be very rich. His whole "hope and optimism" spiel while he was running DC Films seemed to be an opportunistic attempt to make a name for himself in the film industry at somebody else's expense. How gross.

A couple of months ago, Ayer released this never-before-seen photo of an injured Joker pointing a gun at Harley Quinn on his Instagram account.

In case he decides to delete this one day, I've copied and pasted Ayer's post below:

Quote from: David Ayer
Movies are fragile. They are like dreams, haunting moments that run from your vision. They have their own logic and truth.

If you change the destination after the trip is complete is it still the same journey? The spine of Suicide Squad was Harley's journey.

In many ways it was her movie, her escaping her relationship with Joker was the major emotional through line.

A director holds an invisible compass in their hands. It guides every shot, every performance. That compass points to the destination.

If the destination changes did the journey even happen?

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4adVBEgxZ_/

This is now the second time I've seen of Ayer declaring the theatrical cut wasn't what he really intended.

I watched a YouTube video by Chris Wong-Swenson, a Snyder and Ayer cut supporter recapping changes to Suicide Squad that was revealed recently together with some new revelations today.

David Ayer confirmed a couple of things.

• When asked about his confusing explanation over the Joker getting grills after Batman had knocked his teeth out following Robin's death
    and Harley supposed to be an accomplice to the murder, Ayer confirmed the timeline and arrangement of scenes were changed after filming had finished.

• He released a 3D mock-up of a Parademon, which ultimately became a completely new monster created the Enchantress. He confirmed that the Parademons
    would've tied together with Snyder's JL. Though whether this was a concept that was scrapped from early development or not is yet to be fully confirmed.

A scooper who claimed to have attended a test screening of an early Ayer cut claimed the following:

• There is still at least thirty five minutes more of footage missing from the final cut, as opposed to the measly eleven minutes we got from that
    Extended Cut.
  • Harley Quinn was originally focused as the main character; in the theatrical cut, Deadshot had more focus.

• Joker and Harley's relationship was far more abusive (no surprise), e.g. Joker pushed Harley out of the helicopter after capturing her. I guess
    that follows after that picture of Joker pointing a gun at her head, most likely she begins to defy him.

• Batman had more scenes, his screen time is allegedly comparable to Spider-Man's involvement in Civil War. Though how much screen time exactly is uncertain;
    it's already demonstrated here that the Joker car chase scene was supposed to longer than what was shown in theaters and home video.

• Deadshot fought the Joker.

Keep in mind though, there's no guarantee that scooper is telling the truth 100%. But now knowing Warner Butchers' track record with reshoots, it's without doubt that an Ayer cut does exist. Whether or not it's near completion as Snyder suggests for JL is another matter. Check out the video below if you're interested for more details.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 23 Sep  2019, 15:03
Here is an extended version of the Batman-Harley Quinn flashback, albeit with missing sound effects and dialogue. Includes a brief moment of Batman trying to pry open the roof of the car, which was mentioned on the previous page.

#ReleaseTheAyerCut

It appears the YouTube channel that edited that video had neglected to add another shot of Batman deflecting Harley Quinn's gunfire with his gauntlet.

Getting Keaton's Bat and Jack Napier vibes here.

I need to revisit this again.

A few weeks ago, I found this fascinating series of tweets and likes that heavily implies what Ayer really thinks of Johns.

Here is Ayer's reply to a fan...

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1248665916990095361

...and here is him liking that fan's tweet.

If you have doubts that Ayer thinks Johns is a culprit, then this should clear any.

https://twitter.com/DirectorTrench/status/1248671314505797633

Finally, this article chronicles Johns's negative impact on the DCEU, and unsurprisingly, Snyder follows Ayer and signals his distaste on Vero.

https://theculturednerd.org/2020/04/the-troublesome-history-zack-snyder-geoff-johns-and-the-fall-of-the-dceu/

First Clay Enos, then Diane Nelson (although she's not innocent either), now Ayer and Snyder...yeah, it's becoming obvious as time goes by - and in not so many words - that Johns was a key culprit behind the DCEU sabotage.

Which makes me question Jenkins's integrity for working with him in WW84.