Suicide Squad - Extended Cut

Started by The Joker, Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

It's official!

The Suicide Squad Extended Cut will be released on Digital HD 11/15 and Blu-ray 12/13.  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Good news. And a smart move on their part. The movie resonated at the box office, so it's bound to sell well with even more footage included.

Very good news. Hopefully this will be more of a director's cut? The beginning of the film was completely redone, so hopefully we see that alternate footage instead. I'd prefer to see the most radically different version of the film to better justify the new release. Although the promise of the deleted footage already has me hyped.

I also like the cover for this release, it's a creative way to bring the main cast together (even if Joker could have been better placed).

Its only about 13 minutes extra. So I'm guessing they'll include more of the Batmobile chase, the scene of Harley getting hit by the Joker and other scene extensions. I'm hoping the "bye bye" scene with Joker and the grenade appears.

Thirteen minutes?? Man, I guess I thought they clipped twenty or thirty minutes out.

Since action stuff seems less likely to be cut out ("We spent two fortunes and at least one eternity shooting that s**t, it's all going in!"), my hunch is the new stuff is probably character-oriented. Maybe some more with Deadshot and Harley (the breakouts of the movie) and maybe Croc and Katana since they didn't get as much development.

It does make me wonder if the extended cut will get an even warmer reception than the BVS extended cut got.

Ever since I've seen the BTS footage, I've been frothing at the mouth to see the Harley/Joker scene where Harley intercepts Joker's car, points a gun at him, and their often-cited abusive relationship fully displayed. Which is only highlighted, in the theatrical cut, with the hallucinogenic-edited electroshock scene.

Given how comics-to-film often changes things, I can swing with the notion that Joker and Harley have more of a loving head over heels (yeah I listened to the Tears for Fears song recently) Mickey & Mallory Knox type relationship following her convert from Harleen Quinzel to Harley Quinn, but given that this deleted scene clearly takes place prior to her dip in the vat of chemicals, and considering the prior electroshock scene, I felt the exclusion of this scene was unnecessary.

Fortunately, going off the teaser, it appears that scene will definitely be included in the extended cut!

So yeah, I'm a happy DCEU shipper right now.  :D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu,  6 Oct  2016, 06:40
Ever since I've seen the BTS footage, I've been frothing at the mouth to see the Harley/Joker scene where Harley intercepts Joker's car, points a gun at him, and their often-cited abusive relationship fully displayed. Which is only highlighted, in the theatrical cut, with the hallucinogenic-edited electroshock scene.
Indeed. That's my most anticipated scene for this extended cut.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  6 Oct  2016, 04:45
Its only about 13 minutes extra. So I'm guessing they'll include more of the Batmobile chase, the scene of Harley getting hit by the Joker and other scene extensions. I'm hoping the "bye bye" scene with Joker and the grenade appears.

Thirteen minutes of footage doesn't sound satisfying to me. When news broke out that the BvS Ultimate Edition was going to get an extra half hour of new scenes, I knew that time was enough to flesh out the story. But can SS benefit from such a shorter running by comparison?

While we'll definitely get that tense scene where Harley has a gun pointed against Joker's head, I've got an awful feeling that there will be a lot of Joker scenes still left behind in the cutting room floor. We'll see.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  6 Oct  2016, 04:45
An important question to ask; 13 minutes of additional runtime, or only 13 minutes of added footage? I'm optimistic about seeing a different cut here, because I'm sure many scenes in the final film wouldn't make sense in the context of the original cut. The reshoots made up a good portion of the film, so at best, we still could get a very different film with only 13 additional minutes tacked on.

New Extended Cut Trailer -