Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 3 Aug 2016, 18:59

Previous topic - Next topic
40% Friday-Saturday drop. Opening weekend predictions have been lowered to $130 million. For comparison, Batman v Superman experienced a 38% Friday-Saturday OW drop:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/suicide_squad/box-office-40-fri-sat-drop-for-suicide-squad-a144310

Sadly, I am not surprised. DoJ wipes the floor with SS.

Looks like WB's DCEU is one that continues to remain front loaded, huh? If a big drop off is the projection for Suicide Squad, which would make it the 3rd time in a row it's happened, that can't do anything positive for WB's confidence going forward.

I've read the idea that WB may just have to settle for being akin to Michael Bay's Transformers, where they will undoubtedly get panned nearly across the board, but make bank. Problem with that is, the DCEU isn't exactly generating Transformers kinda dollars either.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Suicide Squad (2016)
$268,405,000 WW in one weekend.

Ghostbusters (2016)
$179,511,936 WW in almost a month.

Sony execs aren't taking the news well.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  8 Aug  2016, 21:41
Suicide Squad (2016)

Ghostbusters (2016)
I'm really surprised, because the reviews for Ghostbusters (2016) have been so much better.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  8 Aug  2016, 21:41
Suicide Squad (2016)

Ghostbusters (2016)
The hunger for DC live actions films is there, regardless of reviews. Which is pleasing to see.

I don't think I buy the $600 million worldwide figure as the breakeven point. For one thing, that requires the marketing budget to be made back. Call me crazy but I thought that was the cost of doing business.

But for two things, it seems like only DC movies have to recoup marketing expenses. Every other movie in the stupid theaters is allowed to ignore their marketing costs.

No, I say $300 million is the break even point. After that, it's up to the number-crunchers in Hollywood to make sense of it.

Every dollar the studio puts into a film has to be recouped. You can discount the p & a costs under the assumption they'll be recouped through ancillary revenue (they usually are). But if you do that, you're not talking about the film breaking even at the box office; you're talking about the investment breaking even over a long-term period, factoring in money from merchandise, DVD sales, etc. That's not quite the same thing as breaking even at the box office. The marketing costs have to come from somewhere. A distributor won't simply donate $100-150 million out of the goodness of their hearts. They expect to get their money back and then some. And it's not just DC films. Ghostbusters had a production budget of $144 million, yet Paul Feig himself has confirmed it needs at least $500 million to break even. Cap 3 needed around $800 million. SS needs around $600 million (unless the budget really is $250 million, in which case it'll need around $800 million).

If Suicide Squad only grossed $300 million then I think Warner Bros would end up with a negative ROI of around -50%. It's crazy, I know. But that's the nature of modern film financing.

Suicide Squad saw a Friday-Friday drop of 79.4%. For reference, Batman v Superman's was 81.6%.

Estimated second weekend gross of $43.8 million for a total domestic haul of $222.9 million. It's still in first place, but that's a steep 67% drop.
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/764830857186144256

Estimated foreign weekend gross of $58.7 million for a total of $242.5 million. That's a drop of 56%. Estimated worldwide total is now $465.4 million.
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/764837909707063296

While the domestic drop is worrying, the foreign hold is more impressive. It's made over $240 million overseas in just over a week, while Ghostbusters took just $62.8 million in almost a month.