Spoiler free reviews

Started by Paul (ral), Tue, 2 Aug 2016, 15:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Just saw it today.

Personally I liked it way more then Batman vs Superman, and the Chris Nolan movies.

Still not as good as the Tim Burton Batman movies or the Marvel movies in my opinion.

I'll post more of my thoughts later.

I finally saw it today myself.

For all the talk about how divisive BvS, I'd say this forum is much kinder to that film compared to SS. The consensus from what I've seen on here so far is either you love SS or you hate it.

Me? I'm split in between. It's not the worst film I've ever seen (though it's definitely the worst of the DCEU so far), but it's definitely average. A very formulaic Hollywood blockbuster.

I liked Will Smith's Deadshot and Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn. Although my gripe about Harley is her hallucination of living together with Joker and having a normal life was off given how crazy she is.

Joker had no reason being in this movie beyond the flashback scenes and the ending. I have a hard time believing Jared Leto would star in such a small role, considering all the hype behind the scenes with his antics AND deleted material I saw last week. I won't go far to say the main villain is the worst ever, but she's generic as they come.

So yeah, I can't say I was that impressed. MOS is the best film for me so far, with the BvS: UE being a close second.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

^Let me be clear about one thing regarding the "deleted material" comment in my last post. I was talking about screenshots of the Joker behind the scenes and in the trailer that were removed in the movie's final cut. There aren't any deleted scenes released yet.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I've been watching some clips on Youtube recently, and I may give the film another shot. Over the coming days I'll write about the things I liked to balance my thoughts out.

The following isn't a review for Suicide Squad, but it's a comment against the hyperbolic and cynical nature of film criticism that's prevalent nowadays. 

The Most Disappointing: The State of Modern Film Criticism

Anghus Houvouras on the state of modern film criticism...

If you spend any time on the internet, you've probably come across any number of stories about the incredibly negative age of media we currently waft through on a daily basis. The perception being that our current worldview is nihilistic to a fault and that even the most basic thought can be a polarizing topic that anyone can tear to shreds with animalistic anger.

It's easy to see this kind of behavior exhibited in politics where the American election cycle is a 'knives out' affair and the Brexit has left our friends in the UK in a state of paralysis. But I don't write about politics, I write about film. So for the sake of this discussion, and our latest deep dive into Binary Theory I'm going to focus on film criticism.

Film criticism has devolved into a puzzling, maddening space. Our more traditional film critics are aging out of relevance. The classic era of writers like Kael and Ebert are well behind us. There's a few writers from that era still pumping out reviews and reminding us of their existence, but they are little more than echoes; reminders of a different, less contentious time in criticism.

Our middle-aged critics like Devin Faraci from Birth.Movies.Death and Drew McWeeny over at Hitfix have settled in nicely to mainstream roles after spending a decade and a half contributing to the ruination of the artistry of film criticism. These critics were inspired by the contentious nature that Siskel & Ebert created as they argued across the aisle. Though to be fair to both of them, their frustration was usually reserved for one another. The internet age of criticism brought forth a number of changes in the online critical voice, but the one constant that connected them all was indignation.

When sites like Ain't It Cool launched in the late 1990's, there was a shift in how films were criticized. There was a time when film critics analyzed the film. Where the movie and its contents were graded from the opening titles to the closing credits. The internet era started an uglier trend where films started to be judged based on so many ancillary factors. Studios were raked over the coals for their lack of vision. A failed adaptation was blamed on 'the wrong choice' of creative talent. The movies themselves weren't just being judged, but the entire process and the people involved with their creation. Executives were named in reviews as being poor shepherds of properties. The entire system came under frequent attack.

These critics and columnists with 'inside sources' began to see outside influences bleed into their reviews. And when asked about how negatively the pop culture landscape has skewed, Faraci told USA Today: "We're in that weird position where everything sort of seems terrible and so as a result, people become negative and combative."

'Negative and combative' is the foundation Faraci and many of his peers built their careers upon. They started young and angry, and now they've achieved mainstream success they're far less interested in rocking the boat. So the indignation birthed by Siskel & Ebert and betrothed to the Ain't It Cool generation of writers has been handed off to a new crop of critics even less interested in discussing the actual movie.

So it should be no surprise to see the new generation of online film writers have an even less respectful tone when it comes to cinema. Like this article from io9 contributor Eve Peyser, who has brought the concept of film commentary to a staggering new low.

This is the kind of brain seizure inducing, incoherent nonsense that passes as post worthy. Peyser's hatred for Suicide Squad is apparent, but she just doesn't attack the movie but everything involved with the movie. She looks for empirical evidence to back up her hate, for example mitigating the record-breaking opening and mentioning financial benchmark to be considered a success:

"Suicide Squad apparently has to make $750 million in order for the studio to just break even, so it still has a long way to go."

She brings up the fact that the box office was better on Thursday and Friday and saw a decline throughout the weekend.

"On the bright side, the Associated Press reports that although there were large audiences Thursday and Friday night, ticket sales sharply declined on Saturday."

'On the bright side?'. Here's a columnist, critic, or whatever a contributor at a Gawker site calls themselves these days actively rooting for the movie to fail. The strange, all too common perspective of malice towards anything that the writer is unable to appreciate.

Here's the thing: Film criticism should be smart and surgical. It's not a flamethrower. It should never be about burning everything (and everyone) to the ground. We're living in the aftermath of the scorched earth created by Ain't It Cool News and its ilk. All of these middle-aged movie critics who basically turned criticism into one long 'the sky is falling' argument are now asking 'how did this happen?' Well, party people, you created this acidic, bile spewing monster through years of engaging in epic, endless hyperbole. What did they think would happen when the most popular voices online were attacking the studios and executives in their reviews? Or taking their personal axe grinding bias into vitriolic, soapbox standing lectures of how creatively bankrupt Hollywood is. Did they think reviewing screenplays prior to production was going to help the creative process or hurt it or naming executives they believed to be worthless while hiding under the protective freedom of being nothing more than a passionate fan?

The answer is painfully clear in hindsight, but it should have been just as obvious in the moment.

And now we're raising a generation of critics who can't even articulate what they hate about the film. Hyperbole is the only language they know how to speak. Like the aforementioned Eve Peyser from io9 (or Gizmodo, or whatever part of the sticky Gawker web she resides) who decided to unleash her ire at Suicide Squad. But here's the most damning of her many poorly constructed thoughts:

"What turned out to be deeply mediocre film. Seriously, Jared Leto should get his Oscar revoked."

Deeply mediocre? That's it? You're this upset over a movie you found to be mediocre? Christ almighty. I wouldn't want to be the film you outright hated. And the second part of that sentence; do you genuinely think that? Do you believe Jared Leto should have his Oscar revoked for his role as the Joker in Suicide Squad? Or, like everyone else these days, are you someone who can only speak in the language of pointless hyperbole, turning your flamethrower onto the scorched earth that the last generation of internet critics have left you to continue burning away the center so that only the extremes exist?

A generation of people writing about film who can't even be bothered to articulate anything other than their indignation, and badly at that.

And that, my friends, is disappointing.

Source: https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/08/the-most-disappointing-the-state-of-modern-film-criticism

I've never liked film critics, but ever since BvS came out, I've started to notice that a majority of their reviews are inflammatory more than ever. And let's face it, there are some websites that like to produce clickbait articles to get hits, as I suspect many who jump on the bandwagon against the DCEU. Devin Faraci is guilty of this, and so is anything that's published on Gawker Media (which by the way, is thankfully reported to be bankrupt because of losing a massive lawsuit for violating Hulk Hogan's privacy, so hopefully their days of trolling the internet are outnumbered).

I want DC movies to succeed. So when I see people cashing in on their prior 'scepticism' with scathing, gloating comments, I get annoyed. Actually, more than that. I am so invested in these characters and their success that it hurts my soul. I didn't like Suicide Squad that much, but you know what? I know how the fans of the film feel. I don't want to go on and on about how much I disliked it. It becomes a broken record, much like how the BvS haters are. So I've decided to refrain from that behaviour. I've posted my review and that's enough. The DCEU doomsayers calling for a reboot are at the bottom of my list.

Critics lost their ability to sway me long ago. If it wasn't before 2013, it was by that summer with some of the nonsensical criticisms geared towards MOS. Why was Lois on Zod's ship with Superman? It's explained IN THE MOVIE! Once I realized how pretentious most were, I waved bye-bye to the critics. The fallout from BvS did nothing but validate my stance in continuing to steer clear of the critical hive mind approach.

I heard about the negative reviews prior to me actually seeing the movie, but like MOS/BvS, I ignored the onslaught and went in with an open mind, and left reasonably satisfied. Didn't love it, wasn't blown away by it, didn't think it was the worst movie of all time either. I had fun with it.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Joker, I highly recommend seeing Suicide Squad a second time. I have done so, and was pleasantly surprised. Knowing and accepting what the film already is does wonders. To the point I feel like writing a second review to encompass my new feelings. I do hope, however, that if WB don't release an extended cut, they release deleted scenes.

Sun, 14 Aug 2016, 22:57 #28 Last Edit: Sun, 14 Aug 2016, 23:02 by The Joker
Cool, bro! I'm glad you liked it better the second time around, and knowing how we're pretty much on the same page with MOS and BvS (and other movies/topics), your opinion is one I do take note of. I intend to check it out again, but trying to find the day is the tricky part. Maybe next weekend hopefully. I do wholeheartedly agree on the deleted scenes being given to us at the very least. It's better than nothing, and I really would like to see all that Leto Joker footage that was unfortunately edited out. If even just to form a better opinion on his performance. I mean, we never got to see that original cut of The Incredible Hulk that Ed Norton was pushing, but if memory serves, we did get a bunch of the deleted scenes that would have been in that cut. Like Suicide Squad, deleted scenes are better than absolutely nothing.

Oh, and I really need to start looking into video software editing one day. As I wouldn't mind just throwing back in the few scenes that were cut out of the BvS ultimate cut. As I kinda liked the shot of Superman flying in to save Lois, and boosting his speed right before he makes his entrance in that underground bunker.....  :)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Waller is one of the best live action villains in the DC film series. To the point her presence makes up for Enchantress. I could mount the case Waller is the real villain of the movie, serving as the counterpoint to Marvel's Nick Fury and for my money, being a lot more interesting. Will Smith shows why he became a big name with his charisma, and Harley comes across better on a rewatch. Those three characters make the film, and to an extent, Captain Boomerang.

Conceptually, I think they made the right decision to do Suicide Squad this early. It's the precursor to Bruce forming the Justice League. The same idea but with completely different types of people making up the team.

I still maintain MoS and BvS are better, and my type of movie. But ultimately, even with a tonal change and removed content, SS represents a decent movie. And I dare say it's better than certain Marvel films. I'd take this over Iron Man 2, for example.