Rob Liefeld

Started by Cobblepot4Mayor, Thu, 10 Oct 2013, 20:06

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought I had a vast knowledge of all things Marvel but it wasn't until this week I finally became aware of the controversial former Marvel artist Rob Liefeld. I'm not much of a Cable or Deadpool reader though I'm slightly interested in these characters and never knew Liefeld created them.

However I was shocked at how disliked this guy is. Not just his artwork but also the man himself. At first I felt sorry for him in all the criticisms. Perhaps his tendency to not be able to draw characters with feet was merely his style of drawing? But then I read achingly embarrassing accusastions of him stealing others artwork and passing them off as his original creations. Even offending people like John Bryne and Alex Ross. It really put me off buying any Cable or Deadpool books which I'd almost paid for this week.

There was also a very unpleasant rant by him on his twitter account in which he really insulted his own comic book colleagues, offending a Marvel editor over his weight. How do guys like this still get employed? Still I can't help but think that Liefeld is the greatest shining example of hope. If this guy could possibly work for Marvel surely anyone of us could? Couldn't we?!

So what do comic fans on this board make of him? What's his convoluted history? Is he truly a "hack" who got lucky or grossly misunderstood?

I think Liefeld is a classic example of 'too much, too soon'. As he found success at a early age, and ultimately got a ego which in turn, has caused alot of negative consequences to his career, and himself as a person. Atleast as far as alot of readers are concerned. Indeed, there was a time Liefeld's books were selling like hot cakes, and was also one of the 'hot' artists during the early 1990's during the unfortunate speculation boom, but from what I gather over the years, that period of being a comic book darling, where the art was being much more focused on than story, didn't last too long and it's been alot of ups and downs ever since.

I remember something about Liefeld and Todd Mcfarlane having a falling out over at Image Comics during the early-to-mid 1990's, but can't recall specifics. Though I do remember, by their falling out, the killer of Al Simmons (Spawn) was changed from Chapel (a Liefeld creation), to a character named Jessica Priest, who, I think, appeared in the 1997 movie. I also remember Liefeld's, and Jim Lee's return to Marvel for the whole "Heroes Reborn" during the mid 1990's being something of a big deal, however, with Liefeld, I don't believe he even finished out his run with the books he was assigned to. And because of this, I believe it was then at this time where his career took a turn, as Liefeld began working on his own independant projects like 'Fighting American'. Something of which I don't remember alot of people reading, probably due to a number of reasons. Constant lateness on getting the books out there, and fans tired of getting burned, being a few.

I think Liefeld will always have a smidgen of respect, even from the most adherent of readers who dislike him, for his contributions to the "New Mutants" book during the early 1990s, and perhaps to a lesser degree, other works, but I believe his ego, questionable artwork, along with his chronic tardiness on several books, ultimately did him no favors with the fan community, and have since formed a image of him that I sincerely doubt he has much interest in ever rectifying. Perhaps because it's fairly accurate?

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."