Batman: The Movie (1966) 45th Anniversary

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 30 Jul 2011, 23:29

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteThere's something very atmospheric and creepy about late 19th/early 20th century supernatural horror stories.  It's like they "got" this stuff much better than modern writers. Just like Gustave Dore's illustrations seem to be much more effective in setting a mood compared to everything the best PhotoShop artists can do today. I haven't read "The Mezzotint", but I remember being creeped out by some MR James stories like "Lost Hearts". Have to check it out.

Agreed 100%.  I love DorĂ©'s illustrations for Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. So bleak and atmospheric. And 'Lost Hearts' is one of the greatest ghost stories ever written. Even now I can't hear a hurdy gurdy without shivering. There was a brilliant BBC adaptation made in the 1970s. I think it's up on YouTube now.

It's strange there aren't more adaptations of James' stories. Especially when you consider how popular Sam Raimi's Drag Me To Hell was, which was essentially a contemporized adaptation of James' story 'Casting the Runes'.