Possible Heart of Ice reference

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 18 Feb 2016, 11:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Shortly before Mr. Freeze was freed from Arkham Asylum by Poison Ivy and Bane, we see him inventing a wind-up ornament modeled after his wife. This is could be a reference to the wind-up Cinderella toy in the BTAS episode Heart of Ice.

It's perhaps the only real poignant moment for Freeze in this movie.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I didn't realize that the link below already covered this. Oh well.

http://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=2625.0
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I was just thinking about this the other day when me and my little brother watched Heart Of Ice. I always liked that scene. Arnold does really well in that scene. The Lord works in mysterious ways, huh?

God bless you all! God bless everyone!

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 18 Feb  2016, 11:59
Shortly before Mr. Freeze was freed from Arkham Asylum by Poison Ivy and Bane, we see him inventing a wind-up ornament modeled after his wife. This is could be a reference to the wind-up Cinderella toy in the BTAS episode Heart of Ice.

It's perhaps the only real poignant moment for Freeze in this movie.

I agree. I noticed that before.

Yep. Mr. Freeze's origin in B&R is pretty much right out of Heart of Ice, save for Ferris Boyle's involvement.

Ironically, for a film that's constantly panned by comic fans, Mr. Freeze's origin story is probably more faithful to the comic origin than most of the other Batman movie villains' from B89 to present.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu, 18 Feb  2016, 17:44
Yep. Mr. Freeze's origin in B&R is pretty much right out of Heart of Ice, save for Ferris Boyle's involvement.

Ironically, for a film that's constantly panned by comic fans, Mr. Freeze's origin story is probably more faithful to the comic origin than most of the other Batman movie villains' from B89 to present.
This is very true.  It's pretty clear that Schumacher adapted Freeze's origin straight from "Heart of Ice" and that is now pretty much the canonical version, save for the New 52 (which somewhat subverts this particular origin).

I certainly have no problem with the way Schumacher conceived Mr Freeze in Batman & Robin; I even have no problem with the casting of Schwarzenegger as I've always thought of Freeze as having a Scandinavian/Northern European origin, and although Arnie is Austrian he can easily pass as Swedish or Nordic.  I also think the scene where he is watching home movies of Nora and himself in happier times starts out quite touchingly, until one of Freeze's henchmen appears and Arnie makes a glib wisecrack: "I hate it when somebody interrupts the movie".

Basically it was the tone that Schumacher and his collaborators got totally and utterly wrong; not the story or conception of the characters (even if I'd have preferred Barbara to be Gordon's daughter/adopted daughter rather than Alfred's niece).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think it was the constant quips that perphaps made some viewers forget that the character's origin and motives were well adapted.

Don't forget about Two-Face's backstory in BF.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 20 Feb  2016, 00:36Don't forget about Two-Face's backstory in BF.
True, but it was so brief it barely counts.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 20 Feb  2016, 00:36

Don't forget about Two-Face's backstory in BF.
Yep, that's why I said most. In fact, Schumacher had the most faithful villain origins out of any of the other directors.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...