I want a more comic book feel for Batman 3

Started by Bat-Wing, Sun, 9 Aug 2009, 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic
As much as I love BB and TDK (they embody aspects not covered by the Burton films) I think I like BB more because of its comic book feel.

There's way too much deconstructionist bullsh*t in movies and comics today, and it's destroying some great properties.

My point is, I have a few friends who completely trash Batman 89 in light of Nolan's films, but I point out often and passionately that 89 and Returns both featured a comic book fantasy feel that is integral to the mythos of The Batman.

I want that back after the super-realism of TDK. I want more atmosphere, shadow, and a Gothic feel. Crumbling buildings and ruined streets. The Narrows was a great start, but we need more of it.

Gotham may have started out as New York, but it long ago became rooted in the Gothic aesthetic.

Anyone else want this for Batman 3?

I don't want Nolan to destroy any sense of verisimilitude by going for a completely different tone in a sequel.  Instead, I would hope that whoever makes the next Batman franchise aims for a more comic-book feel.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I don't want Batman 3 to become Batman 89 or anything, I just think it would be nice to get some of the comic book atmosphere and tone that BB had.

And I would definitely like the next iteration of films to blend the realistic with the Gothic. Though I certainly don't want anything too out there, like supernatural villains or super powered characters. (Though seeing the Man-Bat would be pretty damn awesome)

My personal view is that although I like the movies made so far - the movie that I feel is a definitive sum-up of Batman still hasn't been made.

Ral, I gotta agree with you there.

For years, I was upset that even Batman 89--a watershed moment in my life--fell short in some key ways. Specifically, too great a focus on the Joker, and a Bruce Wayne/Batman who wasn't physically a match for the comic book character.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have corrected those two problems, yet brought new ones. The focus on realism is welcome, but it's pushed out the Gothic atmosphere that is integral to the character and his world.

I think the definitive on-screen version of The Batman remains Batman: The Animated series. If that could be adapted to live-action (ironically enough, it was inspired by Batman 89/Returns) then I think we'd have the definitive Batman on film.

Maybe they'll let Bruce Timm and Paul Dini have a shot at live action after Nolan is done.

Exactly Bat-Wing.  Of all the various Batman films thus far, The Mask of the Phantasm is in my opinion the closest to being the definitive cinematic version of the character.  I would love for someone to do a live-action Batman film that pays homage to the style of TMOFP and the animated series in general.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

My thoughts exactly...Mask of the Phantasm is amazing! 

Mon, 10 Aug 2009, 01:26 #8 Last Edit: Mon, 10 Aug 2009, 04:29 by The Dark Knight
I think the comic book feel will be felt a bit more when Wayne Manor and the Batcave return for Batman 3. For what Nolan is going for, I wouldn't want a drastic change. I'd rather him just return Batman to the Narrows - which is the result of the City's recession, building low cost dwellings that fell into disrepair. Plus, those people increase the crime rate due to their poverty. The rest of the City is gleaming and decent, and the Narrows area is bypassed, just like most real Western world cities.

If I've got a criticism about BTAS, it's how effective the GCPD seems to be.  In BY1, Frank Miller created a city that had no hope of ever dealing with their problems.  Burton tracked that same thought process (interesting too because there's no way BY1 could've been an influence on B89) and then Nolan did likewise later on.  Gotham City in B89, BR, BB and TDK is a city that desperately needs Batman (whether the citizens realize it or not).

In BTAS, the GCPD may have some problems but you get the impression that they're largely effective at dealing with crime, the city's infrastructure isn't entirely (or even partially) corrupt, etc.  Strictly speaking, I've gotten the idea that Gordon and his cops were capable of at least dealing with the mob.  That Gotham City isn't crying out for someone to work outside the law to deal with the city's problems.

Whatever mass audience appeal BTAS has, it's ultimately still a kid's show so maybe I should go easy on Timm and Dini on this front but it's really one of very few things that keep BTAS from being definitive in my book.

As for Nolan remaking Gotham more in line with the comics, I think the dye is cast on this one.  He's established a sorta real life Gotham City now.  Reinventing the city for the third movie would be a mistake.  I think the smarter play would be to finish off the trilogy as it is right now with the same basic aesthetics and then introduce a sort of anthology franchise which isn't necessarily associated with Nolan's world that more closely replicates the comics.

Just my two pennies.