Nolan slams post-credit scenes

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 5 Nov 2014, 09:34

Previous topic - Next topic
For anyone who saw any of marvels phase one films other than the avengers and saw the credit scene; can you honestly tell me you were not more excited for what's to come after seeing the credit scene? It works, it builds hype about what's to come. And if this is such a cheap marketing ploy, explain the purpose of the Joker card in Batman begins? Or is that sort of thing only okay if the credits hadn't rolled yet?

Quote from: riddler on Sat,  8 Nov  2014, 19:10
And if this is such a cheap marketing ploy, explain the purpose of the Joker card in Batman begins? Or is that sort of thing only okay if the credits hadn't rolled yet?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

The fact that Nolan doesn't deny banning the post-credit scene goes to show he still has some control over the live action DC films. Apparently he had a hand in Ben Affleck's casting as Batman (not that I disapprove of this casting, I'm only observing).

Off-topic: it looks like Interstellar is getting mixed to positive reviews - though some people have extremely opposite opinions of the movie. There is this one ***SPOILER-HEAVY*** article that criticizes the movie for Nolan's flaws as a storyteller i.e. heavy handed exposition, poor sound mixing etc. Here some excerpts that doesn't give the film away.

At our screening, the audio mix on the Interstellar presentation was so off, I had to ask a colleague if the speakers in our house were broken. There was a recurring buzz from the speakers in the mix. It would arrive during certain scenes, linger for a few minutes, then disappear. Our screening wasn't an isolated event. SlashFilm wrote about the problems in their own L.A. theater, where the sound mix on the IMAX presentation was drowning out important lines of dialogue, and taking emphasis out of vital scenes. They even collected tweets from global audiences who were complaining about the failed mix during Interstellar IMAX screenings. Many complained that they couldn't hear half of the dialogue, and that "[Hans] Zimmer's score drowned it out at times." (His score, for the record, is awful, and rarely is in harmony with the images on screen.)

Un-farken-believable, Nolan STILL can't get the volume right in his movies! There were times in TDK and TDKR where I couldn't understand what the characters were saying because the music and special effects were too loud.

I won't touch the science. I'm not smart enough to refute the suggestions that theoretical physicist Kip Thorne contributed to Christopher and Jonathan Nolan's screenplay. (Though I will point out that NASA has gone on the record to state that they didn't consult on the script in any way, shape or form.) And I found no issue with the wormholes, cryogenic sleeps and black holes sprinkled through Nolan's melodrama.

But I did laugh at the clumsy ways Nolan raced to his next info-dump of high-brow exposition (delivered, predictably, by the likes of a tired-looking Michael Caine). Interstellar has a number of massive "ideas." It just doesn't have the patience or insight on how to get to them properly. So it takes shortcuts in the screenplay, which often create hilariously silly plot leaps.

Getting a sense of deja vu here.

Interstellar has been billed as a full-throttle jaunt through the galaxies, an exciting ride that reconnects man with our previous desire to explore, to pioneer, and to persevere in times of trouble. Steven Spielberg initially wanted to make Interstellar, and I wonder if the picture could have achieved flight in his hands. Because Nolan suffocates it in his own self-seriousness.

I didn't think Christopher Nolan could write a passage of dialogue more self-serving, falsely important and obvious as Alfred's speech to Bruce Wayne about the café he dreams of in The Dark Knight Rises. Nolan might as well have included subtitles under that scene saying, "This will be important later, dummies, so listen!" And yet, the conversations shoe-horned into Interstellar drip with false intellectual bravado, as astronauts pontificate about gravitational anomalies, anti-gravitational equations that somehow can solve the food crisis killing people back on Earth...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/4-Big-Reasons-Why-Interstellar-Huge-Disaster-68087.html

See above.

In any case, the movie will still be hailed as a masterpiece by the masses.  ::)

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Has Nolan ever said what he thought of the Burton films?

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun,  9 Nov  2014, 15:29
Has Nolan ever said what he thought of the Burton films?

Not a lot although he dis basically say they were well done. Goyer trashes them quite a bit, early on he said Burton had no business killing the Joker.

I agree quashing post credit scenes would be a Nolan thing to do; they're fun and he clearly has no interest making fun films.