"How Batman Really Began- Comic Canon vs. Nolan"

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 15 Dec 2008, 01:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 17 Nov 2010, 05:35 #20 Last Edit: Wed, 17 Nov 2010, 09:15 by GothamAlleys
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Fri,  6 Aug  2010, 17:56
Thought I'd bump this thread with an update.

Got a PM on my Brother-Eye website from a lovely poster named ccwake who really loved my article (I have censored it for reading purposes here.  Obviously he did not use the !@#$%^&* symbols in his PM):

"hey dumb@$$

DONT WATCH IT THEN

You already said you werent a fan of Nolans' take on Begins.. so WHY WATCH TDK??

!@#$ing dumb@$$, btw the character had literally 20 different origin tales, you know why?

BECAUSE THERE ARE DIFFERENT TAKES ON BATMAN YOU NITWIT

just like the comics, the films are an ADAPTATION, !@#$ing idiot

GO KILL YOURSELF !@GG!T"

Some Nolan fans are really over the top and they wont allow anything even remotely similar to not being a huge praise to pass. The thing is, Goyer was the one running around and lying his butt off to promote the movie saying its a mirror image of comic books. He relies on the fact that most people didnt read all the Batman comics and I caught him on so many lies and truth spinning in order to make his statement that his Batman movies are 'just like the comics' and 'going back to roots' real, that I really took a dislike for the guy as a person. He did great with the scripts but I wouldnt trust one word from him, listen to Chris Nolan instead. He lets the movie do the talking, not the false advertising striving on general audience's lack of bat knowledge. And naturally, fans that know its a lie will challenge it and then uninformed , extreme Nolan Bat fans spit their venom

Anyway, very nice writeup. Learn quite few things myself too since its very hard to find much info on Ducard. I only remember him in Robin series and never read any other comics that he appeared in. And also, I cant really argue anything you said, you put great and firm arguments for every one of yuor preferences

Thu, 18 Nov 2010, 03:58 #21 Last Edit: Thu, 18 Nov 2010, 04:02 by BatmAngelus
Thanks a lot, GothamAlleys.  If you want to learn more about Ducard, check out Sam Hamm's Blind Justice.  There's also a bit in The Man Who Falls, but it's mainly a brief recap of what's already in Hamm's story.

By the way, LOVE the blog.   ;D
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I know he's in Blind Justice but I just never could get my hands on it. Anyway, going back to the topic at hand, I was just thinking how the comic book and Burton's  Batman was extremely smart and was a technician, engineer and chemist himself. He cracked the chemical code in Batman, he himself fixed his Batmobile and most likely constructed his own stuff. Nolan's Batman has all the techno and chemical work done and delivered by Lucius. Not bashing, I love Nolan's Bats but thats how it is

Quote from: GothamAlleys on Thu, 18 Nov  2010, 05:34
Nolan's Batman has all the techno and chemical work done and delivered by Lucius. Not bashing, I love Nolan's Bats but thats how it is
I think something has to change there. Perhps Lucius can meet an untimely end, and Bruce then resolves to take on equipment building himself. And by the end of TDKR, he's the final product.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 18 Nov  2010, 10:36
Quote from: GothamAlleys on Thu, 18 Nov  2010, 05:34
Nolan's Batman has all the techno and chemical work done and delivered by Lucius. Not bashing, I love Nolan's Bats but thats how it is
I think something has to change there. Perhps Lucius can meet an untimely end, and Bruce then resolves to take on equipment building himself. And by the end of TDKR, he's the final product.

But still, such engineering skills like that cannot be learned in months. It must be learned in years and years since youth, like in the comics and presumably in Burton's movies. The Nolan's Batman is basically an angry and buff guy with no technical, chemical or detective skills (every case and clue he solves with Lucius' toys). I dont know why but I havent realized it before

Quote from: GothamAlleys on Thu, 18 Nov  2010, 11:05
But still, such engineering skills like that cannot be learned in months. It must be learned in years and years since youth, like in the comics and presumably in Burton's movies. The Nolan's Batman is basically an angry and buff guy with no technical, chemical or detective skills (every case and clue he solves with Lucius' toys).
Well, yeah, I?m right with you there. Batman is the complete package. Training and gadget development. And Bale's Wayne is only half way there. I?ve said the same thing elsewhere on this site. But with Lucius out of the way, that progresses things along. Skilled or un-skilled, Bruce is now forced to think about something other than training. He has to learn somewhere and sometime, and Fox becomes his spiritual mentor. Even if technical savvy takes a decade or more, it's essential. With Lucius alive and breathing, Wayne is complacent, and he will continue to take with open arms.

I still think its too late for him now. To become such engineering genius who could not only construct but design such incredibly advanced machinery and equipment, one must study an entire life

Quote from: GothamAlleys on Thu, 18 Nov  2010, 16:14
I still think its too late for him now.
Basically. Learning on the job while being Batman isn't acceptable. All of that should have been covered in Batman Begins. But if Wayne is to start his gadget building journey, it's the best Nolan can offer.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 19 Nov  2010, 05:36
Quote from: GothamAlleys on Thu, 18 Nov  2010, 16:14
I still think its too late for him now.
Basically. Learning on the job while being Batman isn't acceptable. All of that should have been covered in Batman Begins. But if Wayne is to start his gadget building journey, it's the best Nolan can offer.

On the other hand, he doesnt have to learn it. Fox can do it for him and even if not,m theres still plenty of military toys lying around in Wayne Enterprises. Plus, its impossible to learn so late and in a short time such advanced technology from scratch.

I'm bumping this thread.  Due to our schedules, McAllister and I shut down Brother-Eye and decided to move the previous site's content to Batman-Online.

I have updated my posts in the first page so that you can now read (or reread) this article here at Batman-Online.com!
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...