Nostalgia Critic: Batman Begins Review

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 3 Mar 2022, 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic
I can't say I'm a big fan of the Nostalgia Critic, but it might interest some of our site members to know that he's doing a 'Dark Knight Month' in which he'll be reviewing Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman 89 and Mask of the Phantasm. Here's the first video.

I'll be diplomatic and say that I made it about halfway through the video before downvoting and calling it a day. I'm not a big NC fan either.

He needs to finally buy contact lenses and have a good shave.

Even though there was no new points presented in the Begins review, I appreciated them mostly compiled into this video. It truly is remarkable how Katie Holmes was even cast in this movie with her obviously too young for the part looks and that constant smirking Doug pointed out that I remember drove me crazy when I first saw this. I'll watch the rest of the videos because the Nostalgia Critic is only worth watching if it's something that Doug is really into. His whole career was made by complaining about the Bat credit card and he's expressed his love and admiration for Batman '89. I don't care for his lame attempts at humor and only care when valid forms of criticism are addressed.

Quote from: Kamdan on Fri,  4 Mar  2022, 11:26
It truly is remarkable how Katie Holmes was even cast in this movie with her obviously too young for the part looks and that constant smirking Doug pointed out that I remember drove me crazy when I first saw this.
I completely agree. Rachel Dawes as a character would be fine on paper but I don't like who they had playing her. The problem started with Holmes, and due to visual continuity they needed a similar looking replacement.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  5 Mar  2022, 05:20
Quote from: Kamdan on Fri,  4 Mar  2022, 11:26
It truly is remarkable how Katie Holmes was even cast in this movie with her obviously too young for the part looks and that constant smirking Doug pointed out that I remember drove me crazy when I first saw this.
I completely agree. Rachel Dawes as a character would be fine on paper but I don't like who they had playing her. The problem started with Holmes, and due to visual continuity they needed a similar looking replacement.
I mean, let's face it, Rachel Dawes has had some very flawed portrayals. Pick your poison. You've got the Katie Holmes smirk or Maggie Gyllenhaal being frigid and standoffish for no obvious reason.

If it has to be one or the other, I'll take Holmes. But I wouldn't say either actress was amazing in the role.

Sun, 27 Mar 2022, 17:45 #6 Last Edit: Sun, 27 Mar 2022, 17:59 by Andrew
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  3 Mar  2022, 16:31
I can't say I'm a big fan of the Nostalgia Critic, but it might interest some of our site members to know that he's doing a 'Dark Knight Month' in which he'll be reviewing Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman 89 and Mask of the Phantasm. Here's the first video.

A few of the complaints are petty but he seems to admit that. Although I guess he didn't get that the hurting the family name was supposed to be uncomfortable and unpleasant.

Holmes was questionable for being (not long before) on Dawson's Creek (I like teen angst and yet hate that) but I thought despite that she did pretty well in the role. Really don't get the view that Murphy was too young as Scarecrow, I thought he and all the villains were great challenges and contrasts to Batman. Though I wish Scarecrow had returned and been even better in the sequel.

The references to Silverstone Batgirl are oddly appropriate in that in '05 some people oddly did think it was still too soon after B&R.

I'm not a big fan of non-chronological but BB made it work really well except that on rewatch the 7 mostly missing years feels pretty excessive.

I've seen others complain about too much praise/goodness of Thomas and I don't think it's excessive or inappropriate.