Batman Begins Nostalgia

Started by Azrael, Tue, 15 Jan 2013, 22:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 23 Feb 2019, 23:22 #20 Last Edit: Wed, 8 Jan 2020, 23:08 by Silver Nemesis
I hadn't heard that about the Batman Begins Batsuits. I know the Schumacher Batsuits tore very easily, so they had to mass produce them. With the Burton films they made fewer suits, but they were tougher and less prone to tearing. The downside was that they were constrictive and difficult to move in, while Schumacher's Batsuits – despite being more fragile – were lighter and more flexible. I got the impression the Batman Begins costume was closer to the design of the Burton suits, but maybe it wasn't.

Another memory I have of Batman Begins is the disappointment I felt when I learned what the title was. I'd initially heard it was going to be called 'Batman Intimidation', which I thought was much cooler. I believe 'The Intimidation Game' was also a working title/codename used when the film was in production. But then they announced it was called Batman Begins. Looking back on it now, Batman Begins has an iconic ring to it and is much better than Batman Intimidation. But at the time I liked the other title better.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 23 Feb  2019, 23:22
I hadn't heard that about the Batman Begins Batsuits. I know the Schumacher Batsuits tore very easily, so they had to mass produce them. With the Burton films they made fewer suits, but they were tougher and less prone to tearing. The downside was that they were constrictive and difficult to move in, while Schumacher's Batsuits – despite being more fragile – were lighter and more flexible. I got the impression the Batman Begins costume was closer to the design of the Burton suits, but maybe it wasn't.

Another memory I have of Batman Begins is the disappointment I felt when I learned what the title was. I'd initially heard it was going to be called 'Batman Intimidation', which I thought was much cooler. I believe 'The Intimidation Game' was also a working title/codename used when the film was in production. But then they announced it was called Batman Begins. Looking back on it now, Batman Begins has an iconic ring to it and is much better than Batman Intimidation. But at the time I liked the other title better.
I didn't like Batman Begins as a title, then or now. It was good for marketing purposes to sell the concept of the reboot to mass audiences. Such a thing was a fairly new idea at the time, strangely enough. But I still despise that name. I can't even completely explain why.

I think I'd prefer anything at all to Batman Begins. Call it "Batman- Fear Fear Terror Dread Fear" or anything but Batman Begins.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 20 Mar  2020, 04:24
It was good for marketing purposes to sell the concept of the reboot to mass audiences.
I was at work last week and Boulevard of Broken Dreams came on the radio. I'm not a Green Day fan, but I quite like this song and it took me back to 2004/5. I'm okay with Batman films being 'dark and gritty', but I have to say I think a mainstream song supercharges promotion and makes it feel even more like a cultural event. I think Boulevard of Broken Dreams would've done that in a way reminiscent of the Seal and U2 songs for Forever. I think those days are over now, though.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 11 Dec  2021, 11:51I was at work last week and Boulevard of Broken Dreams came on the radio. I'm not a Green Day fan, but I quite like this song and it took me back to 2004/5. I'm okay with Batman films being 'dark and gritty', but I have to say I think a mainstream song supercharges promotion and makes it feel even more like a cultural event. I think Boulevard of Broken Dreams would've done that in a way reminiscent of the Seal and U2 songs for Forever. I think those days are over now, though.
You know, after thinking about it a bit, the only films I know of that ever managed to pull off the pop song tie-in thing are B89, BF and somewhat B&R. Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many other comic book movies that even attempted it, much less pulled it off. Maybe Dick Tracy? Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

But yeah, those days probably are gone at this point. Marvel probably could've pulled it off... but considering bland and interchangeable most of their film scores are, they clearly never had any ambition to try for pop song tie-ins.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 11 Dec  2021, 18:10
You know, after thinking about it a bit, the only films I know of that ever managed to pull off the pop song tie-in thing are B89, BF and somewhat B&R. Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many other comic book movies that even attempted it, much less pulled it off. Maybe Dick Tracy? Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

I would say that Nickelback's "Hero" for Spider-Man in 2002 fits the bill. Also, in 2003, I distinctly remember Daredevil using two prominently featured Evanescence songs (My Immortal and Bring me to Life) during the movie. I think even before the bands first studio album release? So I would say that counts too, as both songs initially got mainstream exposure from the Daredevil movie. 2003's HULK had Velvet Revolver's "Set me Free", and I also remember Staind's "So far Away" being used in adverts for the 2004 The Punisher movie, but I don't believe it was ever actually used in the movie itself.

Course all of these examples had varying degrees of success, but at least the studios were giving a attempt, or even half heartedly with some.

But, sure, the pop tie-in song deal kinda limped along during the early-mid 2000's, but was noticeably dropped  towards the end of that decade, and well beyond.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 11 Dec  2021, 18:10
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 11 Dec  2021, 11:51I was at work last week and Boulevard of Broken Dreams came on the radio. I'm not a Green Day fan, but I quite like this song and it took me back to 2004/5. I'm okay with Batman films being 'dark and gritty', but I have to say I think a mainstream song supercharges promotion and makes it feel even more like a cultural event. I think Boulevard of Broken Dreams would've done that in a way reminiscent of the Seal and U2 songs for Forever. I think those days are over now, though.

But yeah, those days probably are gone at this point. Marvel probably could've pulled it off... but considering bland and interchangeable most of their film scores are, they clearly never had any ambition to try for pop song tie-ins.
Face To Face fits Returns like a glove. Vindicated by Dashboard Confessional works so well as the end credits song for Spider-Man 2. I think It's On Again for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suits the atmosphere of that film. The Nirvana song for The Batman trailers is great even if it's not by current day artists, and I'd be fine with them featuring it in the film itself somehow. I'm guessing the sheer volume of comic book films is a factor now. In the 90s/2000s CBMs were a lot more spread out in their release schedules and thus more anticipated as an event. The CBM concept has become a mass produced occurrence now.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 21 Feb  2019, 22:43
Another thing I like about Batman Begins is that it presents a Gotham in which you can believe there are numerous comic book villains on the loose at any given time. The previous films generally adhered to the formula of one or two villains per movie. But while Batman Begins presents Henri Ducard/Ra's al Ghul as the main antagonist, it also features Joe Chill, the League of Shadows/Assassin, Victor Zsasz, Carmine Falcone and Scarecrow as secondary villains, as well as a reference to the Joker being at large.
One thing about Begins that was debated for like a year or so after the movie came out was the possibility of a sequel going in a more comic booky/science-fantasy direction. The big theory went that Nolan would gradually alter the tone of the movies so that by the third one, it would look almost exactly like the comics. Meaning, that a character like Man-Bat or something wouldn't seem out of place at all.

Obviously, that's not how things worked out.

Still, I do find it interesting that people even debated that at all. Because, honestly, Batman Begins had that kind of flexibility. You could've gone in a more fantasy-oriented direction for subsequent films and it would've fit well enough with BB.

Indeed. The fear gas being dumped all over Gotham could've been the perfect explanation as to why the city's psychosis and theatrically went into overdrive. The Narrows could've remained, along with the rain and Arkham Asylum. But at the end of the day a director should follow their sensibilities and what they're comfortable with. TDK and TDK Rises are the types of Batman films Nolan wanted to make. Like Gotham Knight, I enjoy Nolan's films for what they are now.

I'm interested to see where Matt Reeves goes next. The depiction of Gotham is sure to stay, which is the bedrock of everything. But does he go all in with another genre now he's already used The Riddler? What villains he uses next will factor in. Something even more horror themed rather than predominantly investigative would be good, while maintaining the close relationship with Gordon. Lots of possibilities, while maintaining a generally consistent atmosphere.

Saw this a while ago.

"League of assassins"? Pretty sure a fan wrote that Netflix blurb.

I'm pretty sure Nolan would have called the film just Batman (or maybe The Batman) if he could, The Dark Knight sounds much more like a sequel/follow-up to/progression of Batman than Batman Begins. But Batman Begins is still a fine, even still grand title the movie lives up to.

Rewatching the film a few weeks ago, it's great how it (like Superman) manages to be both grounded and pretty grand/epic.