Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 2 Oct 2018, 19:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Filming is well underway on the MCU's second standalone Spider-Man movie. Here's our first glimpse of Jake Gyllenhaal in the Mysterio costume.

I'm pretty detached from the MCU, particularly Spider-Man.

But Mysterio? In live action? In his comic book outfit? My inner fanboy is weeping with joy.

Joy.

I dig that the franchise has used a wide variety of villains from the back catalogue.

Green Goblin
Doc Ock
Sandman
Venom
Lizard
Electro
Rhino
Vulture
Shocker

And now Mysterio.

But Holland's Spider-Man doesn't do anything for me. The new PS4 game though? Sensational.

Sat, 6 Oct 2018, 15:19 #3 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Oct 2018, 15:21 by Edd Grayson
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  6 Oct  2018, 02:19

But Holland's Spider-Man doesn't do anything for me.

Nor for me.

I'm glad they're going to use Mysterio, but I have a feeling that I won't enjoy this movie much more than the first one, if they're going to be in the same vein.

This sequel's existence is one of the many reasons why Infinity War's ending had no impact on me whatsoever. It makes me laugh over the idea that people would get emotional or post stupid memes celebrating Peter's dumb "Mr Stark I don't feel so good" moment, but then criticise Superman's "This is my world" moment in BvS. At least that particular moment brings the character arcs closure in that film, and proves Superman's heroism and virtue in spite of everything he faced against. Spider-Man thus far is just a pop-culture referencing buffoon. Besides that, he has no real personality whatsoever.

I really wish the MCU never brought Spider-Man back. They made him one of the worst characters in the franchise.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Looks like a step up from Homecoming. Doubt I'll see it in theaters but an improvement is an improvement, that's for sure.

I think stepping out of New York is a good idea. New York IS Spider-Man, but when you're up to film number seven, variation of the concept is in order to avoid repetition. So I'll give them a tick there.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 17 Jan  2019, 01:41
I think stepping out of New York is a good idea. New York IS Spider-Man, but when you're up to film number seven, variation of the concept is in order to avoid repetition. So I'll give them a tick there.
How far is that supposed to go?

As you know, the drama of Uncle Ben is crucial to Spider-Man's character. But it's been covered quite well by previous movies. So it kind of made sense for Marvel Studios to skip it.

Peter's relationship (and eventual falling out) with Harry is one of Spider-Man's most important storylines. But it's been covered quite well by previous movies. So it kind of made sense for Marvel Studios to skip it.

As time goes on, Gwen Stacy becomes ever more important to the Spider-May mythos. But she's been covered fairly well by previous movies. So it kind of made sense for Marvel Studios to skip her.

New York is Spider-Man and Spider-Man is New York. But that's been covered blah blah blah so it kind of made blah blah blah.

Are we reaching a point where Marvel Studios has virtually nothing left of historical/traditional Spider-Man to explore in their movies?

All true. You've listed a lot of the reasons why the MCU Spider-Man doesn't work for me.

It lacks the innate soul of the character, as I discussed here:

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 30 Dec  2018, 06:44
Homecoming is just blah and Holland is overrated. You read how he can do his own stunts...as if that's meant to make his performance better. I'll tell you now, it doesn't. This Peter comes off as annoying, dopey and a lackey. We have Peter with Iron Man AI talking to him in his suit, looking to impress Tony Stark to become an Avenger...and what do I hear? How this is close to being a definitive portrayal. DEFINITIVE? Mary Jane is a homeless looking SJW and May is a young woman we're meant to think is attractive. Uncle Ben is completely absent from the mythos. The Elfman, Horner and Zimmer soundtracks were memorable, but this one? Utterly forgettable. The new Spider-Man PS4 game is vastly superior, and was a welcome reminder of why I like the character considering Holland's universe is so lacklustre. It's like they made a movie for millennials, which does nothing for me whatsoever.

I think a location change every now and then is fine, ala Washington DC in Homecoming, or even Hong Kong in TDK.

The problem is the integrity of the character and the character's world.