Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
It's possible we will get a real or Real Ghostbusters sequel soon, albeit an animated one: http://www.superherohype.com/news/367297-animated-ghostbusters-movie-finds-director
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Well folks, the international trailer has landed. And the first thing you'll notice is they've corrected the most glaring mistake in the first. Well that's not entirely true, since the most glaring mistake is the fact it was ever made to begin with. But in terms of content, the onscreen title which says, "30 years ago four scientists saved the world." Now as anyone who bothered to watch the 1984 film will know, only three of the original heroes were scientists. So now the new trailer has been proofread and altered to say, "30 years ago four friends saved the world." Personally I think it would've been better if it had simply said "four men saved the world," but I guess they're trying to avoid the 'M' word.

What's particularly funny about this trailer is that a few days ago an alleged Sony employee leaked a truly dire synopsis of the film on reddit. The Sony shills defending the movie claimed this synopsis wasn't real on the basis that Sony would never release such a terrible film. But lo and behold, several scenes detailed in that synopsis are clearly present in this trailer, confirming that the leaked synopsis – the one which was so bad, even Paul Feig's diehard defenders were saying it must be fake – is in fact real.

A few details from that synopsis include Bill Murray's character being killed by getting knocked out of a window, a female Slimer, complete with hair and lipstick, and an ending that rips off the finale of the original, except with the white ghost from the logo rampaging through New York instead of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Meanwhile Paul Feig has continued fighting the good fight on Twitter. His latest message to critics:

Quotef*** the haters.
https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/707293713299419137

Back at you, Paul.

Apparently he's planning to start a victim support group for Hollywood filmmakers who ignore source material, insult fans and deliver box office bombs. So far it's membership consists of himself and some guy called Josh Trank. Good luck to them, I say.

Sony have been trying to do damage limitation on this for a while now. Tell me one other film where the director is personally contacting websites to drum up support (fact).

Uh-oh.  This is sounding like this year's Fant4stic Four.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Wed,  9 Mar  2016, 20:22
Sony have been trying to do damage limitation on this for a while now. Tell me one other film where the director is personally contacting websites to drum up support (fact).

I know I should feel sorry for the guy, but...

What a sad, sorry state of affairs.

Why did Ghostbusters have to be the butt of this bad joke?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 10 Mar  2016, 01:16
What a sad, sorry state of affairs.

Why did Ghostbusters have to be the butt of this bad joke?
Let's not let this travesty tarnish the original movies anymore than the Star Wars prequels tarnish the greatness of Episodes IV to VI, or The Godfather Part III tarnishes the first two Godfather films.

I think it'll become a footnote. Something that happened, but something that's basically ignored. File it and forget it. Much like the atrocious Blues Brothers 2000, the sequel to the much loved original.

I told myself I wasn't going to watch the trailer or bother with anything about this movie. Then I clicked this thread and read it and morbid curiosity got the worst of me.

Trust your instincts, kiddies.

I mean it probably isn't the most horrible thing ever made and if the original never existed, well, if it never existed our lives would suck that much more but this would be some silly movie that wouldn't do great at the box office but build a cult following among those that watched it every other night on late night cable tv when their zombie cop show went off. Instead, it's fitting that the people keep saying f-you to the people who don't like it cause that's what it feels like. A big f-you. It makes me sick that they did a movie that forsakes the wonderfully witty and intelligent humor from the first in favor of stupid assed modern "comedy" under their self professed guise of breaking barriers for women (a big black woman screaming "Aw hell nah!" is just SO original and fresh and groundbreaking). It makes me even sicker that they pull the sexism card on anyone who dissents. It's like the morons who pull the racism card at every turn. All it does is make real issues with sexism or racism worse because you're diminishing the entire issue by making it about stupid sh*t like this. But I guarantee you're going to have ignorant Hollywood f***sticks do just that and make this sh*tty movie a cause. Cause that's what those thin-skinned left of center assholes are good at. Making a crusade out of a cow pie. Someone is going to try to turn this into a flag they can wave and cry "Outrage!" And it makes me sick. We have real issues but this is how we combat them. And that's why we're going to hell in a handcart.

I'm a girl. I'm also a huuuge Ghostbusters fan. When I played it with my male cousins, yes, I played a girl "fifth ghostbuster" (who took over and ran the team cause I was older and that's what I do). There was a time when I wanted there to be a girl ghostbuster or a whole team of girl ghostbusters or girl and guy ghostbusters who were screwing each other. Then I grew up. The ghostbusters were a male team and that didn't need to change. They were great. I love them. I love watching guys interact and save the world. We don't need this, and we don't really need a male/female mixed team either but I would have preferred that to this as long as the relationships were professional and platonic but in 2016 America that would be like them using a rotary telephone. So we got this mess that reeks of mock feminism. There are few things I hate more than false champions of a cause like the idiots who try to look SO progressive by changing a comic character's race, gender, and/or sexual orientation. sh*t like that and this pathetic excuse of a reboot are why this country's society is sliding down a slick slope to hell.

Ok, rant over. I'll catch my breath before I REALLY go off about the dying art of originality. Yall have been warned. Kitty is on the warpath now. And as cute as Melissa McCarthy is and as adorablle as Kate McKinnon's character seemed from pics and stuff (a part of me did totally go "A blonde ghostbuster that doesn't sound like the Brain! Hell yes!") there is no way in hell I'll waste my time with this. Ever.

Right on the money, Catwoman. Despite the cries of 'sexism', many of the most intelligently worded critiques I've seen have been penned by women. Feig should take note before going off on another Twitter rant.

On the subject of female Ghostbusters, it's worth remembering that Janine suited up several times during the animated series.

Her and Louis were de facto auxiliaries who'd don proton packs whenever the main Ghostbusters needed backup. They were essentially the fifth and sixth Ghostbusters. I had action figures of both of them when I was a kid, including this one.

If they were going to make a Ghostbusters 3, they should've done it in the early nineties. The last ship sailed when Ramis passed away. But even then, if Sony was truly determined to make a new Ghostbusters film, they still could have made a proper sequel to the originals. At the very least, they could have got Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts back as the surviving members of the original team. And if Murray and Weaver were willing to cameo in Feig's trash, I'm sure they would've come back for a proper Ghostbusters movie too. Slimer is a special effect, so there's no problem there. And Ramis could've appeared as a ghost. He recorded hours of voice acting for the 2009 Ghostbusters videogame (which is ace, by the way). They could've used some of that material in conjunction with special effects to bring Egon back. It probably still would've sucked, but it would've been truer to the original franchise than this debacle.