Batman: Arkham Origins

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 9 Apr 2013, 16:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu, 17 Oct  2013, 14:38
TV spot for Arkham Origins

Loved it...even bald Bruce is a bamf

Right, so this game is coming out next week. I will be getting it ASAP - and playing it over the weekend and beyond.

AA will always have nostalgia, but I actually think this could be the best Arkham game yet.

Not one, but two great OSTs by Drake this month. Both are IMO his best Batman scores yet. I think TDKR has the edge when it comes to listenability without the film, but I've yet to play Origins, so how the music works with the visuals, it remains to be experienced. One thing in common, though..

The Joker has the best tunes

Game arrived yesterday. its the baffo edition. The art book is tops. If anyone wants pics of anything specific or anything, let me know and I'll upload 'em.

Alright folks, I have played the game through and here's my verdict.

All the environment and gameplay staples of an Arkham game are there. I found the story solid enough - however for me it doesn't hit the same heights as AA/AC. Don't read this as me bagging Origins, or labelling it a disappointment. It's not. It's a very good game and other fictional characters would love to have it in their library.

As soon as I assumed control of Batman, I noticed the difference. It's effectively the same open world as AC, however it *feels* different. I think it's in part to the graphical style WB Montreal went for which is evident on the main menu, loading screens and everywhere.

There are some very nice moments in the game indeed. I won't type them here yet out of courtesy. I enjoyed Gordon in this too, and Barbara's cameos.

WB Montreal did add to the Arkhamverse, even though some will call it a cut and paste job. They finally showed the real batcave, the electric gloves were a good addition and the forensic kit is much improved. They also did a fine job with Bane, setting up Rocksteady's template.

In short, Origins is not earth shattering. But it is solid and doesn't make any mistakes. There are bugs in the game that will freeze cinematics and gameplay minutely, though. From what I have experienced they are not bad enough to be a deal breaker.

I still have to do the side missions and other things. And I will, though I don't have the same hunger as I did with AA/AC. I would rank AO third in the series, though as I emphasise, it's not a disappointment. I just think the others had that added spark.

Mon, 28 Oct 2013, 19:37 #65 Last Edit: Mon, 28 Oct 2013, 19:50 by Gotham Knight
I was pretty critical of this title in the beginning (card carrying knee jerk club member.) All in all, I'd say if you distance yourself from the hype and the expectations, and just accept what this is supposed to be IE an inbetweenquel, you'll come away sated. It doesn't break new ground, but it doesn't trip up by reinventing the wheel. The story is sturdy but a tad hollow. 

My only grip is the glitches. Been pretty bad. Freeze and save issues( I had to beat Deathstroke four or five times, though the last time was satisfying because I made him look like a chump.) have plagued me.

I have noticed there is even more of a Zimmer influence this time around with the soundtrack. The main title cue starts of with subtle elements of 'Imagine The Fire'. The rhythm of the drums is almost exactly the same as the Bane theme in Gotham's Reckoning. The main melody, featuring no electronics, is hands down the best part.

The Night Before Christmas and Winter Comes to Gotham are my favourite cues. Nice wintery gloom vibe. I Have Left Enough Life in Him for some final Words is also quite good, particularly the end statement of the main theme.

Carol of the Bells is effectively the end of Elfman's Face Off/Beddy Bye stretched out over a cue.

Arkham Origins End Titles begins very similarly to 'Why Do We Fall?' from Zimmer.

I'm only at 20% completion but my thoughts so far;

not as enjoyable as AA or AC.AC had the close quarters going for it, AC had the outstanding open world concept.

That being said one improvement is that detective skills get used quite a bit more here.

The prequel aspect is pretty good too, it takes place around year 3 or 4. Gordon is a lieutenant. I like the gotham aspect of it.

man this game is glitchy. it keeps knocking me back one save every time I return to story. Snipers can follow my movements through walls (x-ray vision...etc

Thu, 28 Nov 2013, 00:34 #69 Last Edit: Thu, 28 Nov 2013, 00:44 by SilentEnigma
Backing-up the save game (PC users - Game Save Manager is good for doing it with two clicks) before playing is almost mandatory. It's recommended for any game, but especially for this.

Didn't have much time to do a full playthrough yet... Maybe will finish in late December, quite fitting for the season.

Loved the city - maybe just me, but it definitely has a Batman Returns vibe.

I wonder what role Thieving Magpie plays - the performance on the OST album sounds very similar to a certain movie.