Favourite Elseworlds novel?

Started by Paul (ral), Tue, 13 Sep 2011, 15:07

Previous topic - Next topic

You know how I said I was going to get Year 100? I rang all of the comic stores in my area (their telelphone, then their necks) and none of them had it in stock. And apparently it cannot be ordered in at the moment.

That's very odd. Batman: Year 100 only came out in 2006, so it's a little early for it to be discontinued. Perhaps they'll reissue it when The Dark Knight Rises comes out.

There is one I own called "The Tyrant" and it was excellent. The story is intricate involving anarchy, johnathan crane and practically every other villain in Gotham. Batman actually turns out to be sort of the villain because under the mentorship of Crane, he did things to the people of Gotham which he ought not too. Let's leave it at that. I have read several others years ago, but this one really stuck with me and I'll read it every few months and still enjoy it. The last few lines in it or some of the most haunting ever put to a comic book, movie or tv show.

If you find this, pick it up!!

I remember that one. It was published in one of the Shadow of the Bat annuals. It's very overlooked.

One of the things that struck me about it was the inconsistency in how the Penguin was drawn. In some of the panels he had normal hands, in others he had fused digits. It was a little confusing.

I love "The Batman of Arkham," in which Batman is re-imagined as a doctor as Arkham in the early 1900s. Also, Superman/Batman Generations is phenomial, if you haven't known of it. It's entirely by John Byrne and it's cool: what if Batman and Superman aged in real-time from their debuts in '38 and '39? They evolve with the times and it's fascinating!

I'm also a fan of "Speeding Bullets," where infant Kal-El crashed down into Gotham, and is adopted by the Waynes and is named Bruce. I think you know where this goes!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sat, 16 Jun  2012, 05:31
I'm also a fan of "Speeding Bullets," where infant Kal-El crashed down into Gotham, and is adopted by the Waynes and is named Bruce. I think you know where this goes!
I have that comic. I like it as well. A good mix of the two characters.

Gotham By Gaslight has always been my favorite. I understand it's a limited concept but I do wish it could've been an ongoing series or, short of that, a miniseries. But back then, Elseworlds were supposed to be done-in-one books. If it were to come out now, odds are it'd be a good five or six issues long.

I guess TDKR is technically Elseworlds now. So that'd be on the list.

The vampire trilogy is neat too. Kelley Jones' line style is an acquired taste but I dig it.

Always felt like Speeding Bullets had a lot of potential but it devolved into being a Batman/Superman mash up rather than simply giving Bruce superpowers (which, I don't care what anybody says, was where the real interest of the book was). Neat concept, horrible execution. Of course, In Darkest Knight is even worse, wowzers...

Mon, 19 Nov 2012, 21:15 #19 Last Edit: Mon, 19 Nov 2012, 21:18 by SilentEnigma
Speaking of Gotham by Gaslight, the concept was almost made into a game (too tired now to look up the footage, it can be found easily and Batman Online shared it in the past). Looked promising, fans are glad that we got AA instead, but since this was apparently made by a different developer and was to be published by a different company, I wouldn't mind for it to co-exist with the AA/AC series.