Best Comic Adaptation of a Batman Movie

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 20 Aug 2013, 20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Five of the live action Batman films were adapted into comic books. Which do you consider to be the best? And take into account we're judging the comics, not the films they're based on.

I voted for Batman and Robin, simply because it's the only adaptation that actually improved on the movie.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 20 Aug  2013, 20:57
I voted for Batman and Robin, simply because it's the only adaptation that actually improved on the movie.
I voted for 'Batman'.  As with the entire Burton/Schumacher franchise, the quality, in this case the artwork including the coloring, declined each time.  The 1989 'Batman' comic-book adaptation was clearly done with a degree of loving care, and the 'Batman Returns' comic-book adaptation also suffices, but the subsequent two just look like cheap cash-ins.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 20 Aug  2013, 20:57
Agreed which is why i voted for it.
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 18:06 #3 Last Edit: Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 18:12 by SilentEnigma
One has to check out the fairly rushed comic adaptations of some great films (e.g. Marvel's Robocop) to see how good and close to the films the Batman adaptations really are. On the other hand, there are comics like Conan the Barbarian (1982, drawn by John Buscema) or Dracula (1992, by Mike Mignola) that are on another level, more like an "interpretation" of the film rather than an adaptation. Conan the Destroyer (1984, also by Buscema) is, just like Batman & Robin, much better than a terrible film. That said, the Begins comic is the weakest - it feels like an afterthought.

He didn't even bother with actor likeness, and in this case, it works.

I've just been looking over some samples from Roy Thomas and Mike Mignola's adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), and it's making me wish Mignola had been the artist on the Batman Returns comic adaptation.

Imagine Batman Returns rendered in this art style.

I'll have to give them another read before I vote. Though I will say that Batman and Batman & Robin were the most memorable for me.

It's strange how movies recreate comic stories and characters for film while the adaptations are more literal with their film source material than the movies themselves are.

An adaptation that attempts to reconceptualize the film for a comic book would probably be a tremendous creative success.

I can't remember if this has already been posted in another thread, but late last year Jerry Ordway shared a picture he was commissioned to draw of Pfeiffer's Catwoman. It offers a glimpse of what the Batman Returns adaptation might have been like had he been the artist.