Frank Gorshin

Started by Paul (ral), Sun, 5 Apr 2009, 20:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Though he died in 2005, today would have been his birthday.

Given the camp of the tv series, were he at the hight of his powers now him as the Riddler with a serious spin under the Nolan helm would be quite something.

I've always felt that if the old Batman show had been a serious take on the dark knight, Gorshin could have played the Riddler the exact same way!
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Mon,  6 Apr  2009, 02:15
I've always felt that if the old Batman show had been a serious take on the dark knight, Gorshin could have played the Riddler the exact same way!

How do you mean?

Well, his portrayal has a massive amount of insanity to it. If the show had been done "realistically" this would have made the Riddler very dark and scary and Gorshin wouldn't have had to alter anything. He radiates so much intensity that he was even scary at times on the campy version!

I agree somewhat, Gorshin always had this crazed look in his eyes when he played the riddler. He might have needed to change very little, to convert to the big screen I guess.

Oh i see what you mean now, i can agree but i think he would have to drop the laugh it always seemed abit to Joker for The Riddler.

Well, everybody was a little too Joker on that show, except Joker!

Quote from: Sandman on Wed,  8 Apr  2009, 00:09
Oh i see what you mean now, i can agree but i think he would have to drop the laugh it always seemed abit to Joker for The Riddler.

Oh it's very apparent that Gorshin's Riddler REALLY enjoyed giving a riddle.

Perhaps, a bit too much. But hey, it worked for it's time, the show itself, and he was incredibly entertaining!  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I had the good fortune of meeting him a few years back. He was a nice guy.

He certainly could have played the role in a dark version of Batman. But the same could be said of a lot of those actors, many of which had pretty accomplished careers. Still, I think that if the show had been done in a non-campy manner it wouldn't have lasted long. Kind of like the Green Hornet show, which was canceled after one season. Let's face it, the Adam West Batman was the hero the 60's deserved, not the one it needed.

Or maybe it's the other way around...

Gorshin was amazing at times sometimes he would just be standing in a corner with his arms folded and deep in thought and it radiated intensity even in such a campy show as the 60s show.