Man of Steel

Started by Grissom, Tue, 15 Jan 2013, 16:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 21 Apr  2013, 03:41
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 21 Apr  2013, 01:58
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53Again I get robots. I get super powered villains. I slightly accept aliens. But humans? This is where you guys are losing me y'see?
There is no shortage of precedent for it.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53In an age where we are constantly being told realism must count in a superhero story you honestly feel Superman will kick the crap out of a human enemy?
I don't see why he wouldn't or shouldn't or what bearing "realism" has on the argument.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53We're talking about a Hercules-like being, the most powerful man on the planet here.
Your argument then is that he can't control his strength well enough to smack a regular human around? If so, how would such a strong and powerful character, say, hug a non-powered person?

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53As a character that has always been written to be someone to aspire to I feel it's immensely out of character for DC writers to have Superman use untold force against any species lesser than him.
I don't see how a more aspirational Superman should be such a pacifist. He's chosen an odd line of work if that's how he feels.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53Perhaps they have
Yes.  They have.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53This is why we have characters like General Zod who enjoys abusing humans with his powers. It doesn't make any sense to me to have Superman do that also.
That's a bit of a false comparison. Zod's targets, his motives and lack of restraint are part of what distinguish him from Superman. Just because Zod might use his heat vision to fry a small child to death doesn't mean Superman shouldn't backhand some bank robber or something. His use of force was clearly understood and defined in the comics after DC became slightly less uptight about the comics code starting in the late 60's and lasted until just about the time Donner tried to convince us that Superman wouldn't smack a regular human around.

Nobody's arguing he should use lethal force; just that he could, would and has beat some serious ass when someone needs it. The historical record is simply not on your side here.

Dude all I can say from all this is this advice, go and get yourself laid lol Seriously right now before you have yourself a heart condition. I mean you've got this weird fetish of absolutely hating anything to do with the Reeve Superman pictures. You understand we're talking f***ing movies and comics right? Or are you a retard by any chance? Now I'll accept somebody's opinion gladly but your tone on the subject I find unnecessarily harsh, unfriendly and slightly more creepy. I get the feeling your one of these daft f***s out on a mission on forums throughout the world to purge all trace of the Donner movies lol Good luck to yer pal! Do you not need psychiatric help? Some time away from chat forums should help.

I think you and I both know your intent here. Your tone in these messages above seems very much like a smart arse. I didn't feel like I'm having a mature discussion (hence my regression to childish name calling since that's a level your aiming for). So hopefully you'll sense my tone right now. I won't be having discussions with pricks trying to rule over message boards with their total opinion in place of others kay? Or ganging up on somebody to smash apart their views to suit their own. I have more of a life than to waste my time such as yourself doing that I'm afraid. I'm here for friendly discussion not heated debate or bullying competitions.

I had a similar run in like this once on imdb with a guy who went by the name "Unlimited Vertigo". Seemed to enjoy irritating serious fans by being the end all and be all of discussions. You wouldn't be that little sh*t stain by any chance huh? Wouldn't be too surprised. The nature of your responses to every line I previously wrote seems quite familiar. Either way your clearly one of these forum twats who likes to rule the roost so what's the difference eh? lol
I don't know if to burst out laughing or to frown with concern. thecolorsblend rebutted your points in a calm manner and you just spat the dummy.

You are the one who is behaving childishly. You did not even bother to rebut the points.

Filibustering: The use of obstructionist tactics, especially prolonged speechmaking, for the purpose of delaying legislative action.

You called colors a prick. You are the prick and if you can't have a discussion, get out. This shameful post you have made should be sticked to the forums to forever highlight your moment of madness.

I kind of have to agree. I don't think I have said anything especially provocative to him during this exchange. If he's tired of this line of discussion, he can change the subject or allow it to wither on it's own. It just seems strange to lash out that way over essentially nothing.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 21 Apr  2013, 04:32
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 21 Apr  2013, 03:41
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 21 Apr  2013, 01:58
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53Again I get robots. I get super powered villains. I slightly accept aliens. But humans? This is where you guys are losing me y'see?
There is no shortage of precedent for it.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53In an age where we are constantly being told realism must count in a superhero story you honestly feel Superman will kick the crap out of a human enemy?
I don't see why he wouldn't or shouldn't or what bearing "realism" has on the argument.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53We're talking about a Hercules-like being, the most powerful man on the planet here.
Your argument then is that he can't control his strength well enough to smack a regular human around? If so, how would such a strong and powerful character, say, hug a non-powered person?

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53As a character that has always been written to be someone to aspire to I feel it's immensely out of character for DC writers to have Superman use untold force against any species lesser than him.
I don't see how a more aspirational Superman should be such a pacifist. He's chosen an odd line of work if that's how he feels.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53Perhaps they have
Yes.  They have.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sat, 20 Apr  2013, 14:53This is why we have characters like General Zod who enjoys abusing humans with his powers. It doesn't make any sense to me to have Superman do that also.
That's a bit of a false comparison. Zod's targets, his motives and lack of restraint are part of what distinguish him from Superman. Just because Zod might use his heat vision to fry a small child to death doesn't mean Superman shouldn't backhand some bank robber or something. His use of force was clearly understood and defined in the comics after DC became slightly less uptight about the comics code starting in the late 60's and lasted until just about the time Donner tried to convince us that Superman wouldn't smack a regular human around.

Nobody's arguing he should use lethal force; just that he could, would and has beat some serious ass when someone needs it. The historical record is simply not on your side here.

Dude all I can say from all this is this advice, go and get yourself laid lol Seriously right now before you have yourself a heart condition. I mean you've got this weird fetish of absolutely hating anything to do with the Reeve Superman pictures. You understand we're talking f***ing movies and comics right? Or are you a retard by any chance? Now I'll accept somebody's opinion gladly but your tone on the subject I find unnecessarily harsh, unfriendly and slightly more creepy. I get the feeling your one of these daft f***s out on a mission on forums throughout the world to purge all trace of the Donner movies lol Good luck to yer pal! Do you not need psychiatric help? Some time away from chat forums should help.

I think you and I both know your intent here. Your tone in these messages above seems very much like a smart arse. I didn't feel like I'm having a mature discussion (hence my regression to childish name calling since that's a level your aiming for). So hopefully you'll sense my tone right now. I won't be having discussions with pricks trying to rule over message boards with their total opinion in place of others kay? Or ganging up on somebody to smash apart their views to suit their own. I have more of a life than to waste my time such as yourself doing that I'm afraid. I'm here for friendly discussion not heated debate or bullying competitions.

I had a similar run in like this once on imdb with a guy who went by the name "Unlimited Vertigo". Seemed to enjoy irritating serious fans by being the end all and be all of discussions. You wouldn't be that little sh*t stain by any chance huh? Wouldn't be too surprised. The nature of your responses to every line I previously wrote seems quite familiar. Either way your clearly one of these forum twats who likes to rule the roost so what's the difference eh? lol
I don't know if to burst out laughing or to frown with concern. thecolorsblend rebutted your points in a calm manner and you just spat the dummy.

You are the one who is behaving childishly. You did not even bother to rebut the points.

Filibustering: The use of obstructionist tactics, especially prolonged speechmaking, for the purpose of delaying legislative action.

You called colors a prick. You are the prick and if you can't have a discussion, get out. This shameful post you have made should be sticked to the forums to forever highlight your moment of madness.

Wanna bet you'd try saying that line you highlighted above there to my face huh? lol Yeah. Love to see it. Learn to keep your big snout out of arguments that either have nothing to do with you or weren't even directed at yourself in the first place. f***in dickhead lol  (You might wanna "stick" this to your forehead with those other "forever highlights" you mentioned there)...

Bob, no need for offensive comments directed at TDK...I don't care if there is an LOL at the end of it. Directing "f***in dickhead" at anyone isn't cool around here.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 22 Apr  2013, 00:45
Bob, no need for offensive comments directed at TDK...I don't care if there is an LOL at the end of it. Directing "f***in dickhead" at anyone isn't cool around here.

Sorry mate. The "lol" was for my own amusement by the way, wasn't attempting to smooth over any tension. You mistook me there I fully meant what I said. The guy butted his nose into something I hadn't considered directing at him and felt the need to swear at me at the end of it. Maybe you missed that line. If somebody had said that to me in person I'd have sent him to the emergency ward by now. Given the language I sometimes see on here in comments I wouldn't have thought it that big a deal to insult back? Anyway if it bothers him that much you can always buy him a tissue for his tears. Just informing the bugger to stay out of my argument when it wasn't his. It won't happen again provided he doesn't needlessly continue with an insult of his own.

(Love the Anchorman quote there).

I never did see the Anchorman is it good?  :-\
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

^Yes, good movie. A fun movie. A sequel is being made.

bobthegoon, you're the one who unnecessarily set the tone here. Nobody else.

You are the user that said colors was a 'retard', creepy, a daft f*** who needs psychiatric help, a smart arse, a prick, is wasting his life, a sh!t stain and a forum twat. And you've just gone on and called me a bugger, a 'f**** dickhead who has a 'big snout'.

You are the one throwing all the insults. I threw one back at you – a word that you brought into play, not me. And your behaviour warrants it. Your type of behaviour is not cool around here. This conduct affects everybody. Get in line or leave.

On the contrary, I'd like you to say this stuff to our face. You are in no position to preach morality. I don't recall you behaving like this before.

Anyway, moving on from that...episode.....I'm looking at purchasing some Superman graphic novels. What are the ones I should be looking at?

Mon, 22 Apr 2013, 08:07 #88 Last Edit: Mon, 22 Apr 2013, 08:14 by BatmanFanatic93
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 22 Apr  2013, 08:03
^Yes, good movie. A fun movie. A sequel is being made.
Hm i might look into it thanks for the heads up dark knight
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 22 Apr  2013, 08:03Anyway, moving on from that...episode.....I'm looking at purchasing some Superman graphic novels. What are the ones I should be looking at?
There are some good ones.

For All Seasons- This was a four issue miniseries by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. It runs with/ties in to the John Byrne version of Superman. The first issue was partly was inspired Al Gough and Miles Millar with Smallville (which Loeb himself later worked on).

Birthright- This is Mark Waid's take on Superman's origin. I mention it here (A) because it's a good story if you divorce it from DC's efforts to set it up as the origin rather than the vaguely "what if" or "imaginary story" or "Elseworlds" thing it was originally supposed to be and (B) it's supposedly part of the inspiration behind Man of Steel. For example, the S-emblem being a symbol on Krypton representing hope or some such is taken from this series.

Man of Steel- The John Byrne miniseries which rebooted Superman in the 80's. Nobody has said so but implicitly this seems to be an influence on MOS as well (beyond just the name, I mean). The concept of Kryptonians being genetically engineered for specific purposes was introduced here. Also, this miniseries went pretty freaking far out of its way to "humanize" Superman. This isn't your dad's Superman. Byrne developed a Superman with a far reduced level of superpowers. He's tough, sure, but not the god-like character he was in the 60's and 70's.

I feel like the above should be good primers for Man of Steel.

Since there's probably nowhere else to say so, I picked up some Man of Steel t-shirts the other day. A medium for me and a small for my lady. I like them. They're much better quality than the godawful Singerman shirts, which came off like iron-on shirts with the Singerman poster emblem pressed on there. Freakin cheap! These MOS shirts are pretty far ahead of the curve. The coloring and texture work are all first rate. Hot Topic has a deal going where you can get one shirt at regular price and then a second one at a pretty significantly reduced price (half off or some such). It's worth doing, if you ask me. Of course I'll be wearing my MOS shirt to the MOS midnight premiere.