Man of Steel

Started by Grissom, Tue, 15 Jan 2013, 16:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Thu, 18 Apr 2013, 12:11 #60 Last Edit: Thu, 18 Apr 2013, 12:20 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 00:12Er well, okay then lol

I really can't recall Superman beating the crap out of humans. I get the villains side of that they deserve a kicking (provided they can actually SURVIVE it). Unless your referring to the early early comics of Siegal and Shuster where he's beating on corrupt mine owners? They toned it all down I guess later on. Frankly if Superman went around "beating the crap out of anyone" less than himself he'd look a genuine total jerk than he already is in the eyes of non Superman fans lol I think it's on "The Mythology of Superman" documentary where Greek God theorists and such stated it's in keeping with classic mythology of Superman not wishing harm and using his powers respectably on the ideals and education of his human parents upbringing. So I really don't see how the movies violated that and there are plenty of comics (before and after the movie) where Superman defeats his enemies without deliberately attempting to "murder" them lol For instance he snaps the barrel of a gunman's machine gun in an issue of the "Man Of Steel" miniseries and nothing much else.

As for him spinning people around (ala General Zod) first of all they did that cos it's entertaingly funny and still is lol Secondly as I said it made a change from seeing him punch/punch/punch/punch all the time. Otherwise then you just have "Rocky" in a red cape.

Also if Superman was not a "hippie pacifist" as you claim the plot of say Superman IV would be extremely shorter than it already alas is. He'd be launching those nukes on behalf of the Ruskies for thrills dude lol Aren't all superheroes pacifists at heart??? Otherwise what the heck are they standing up to fight for? But let's keep this forum on the subject matter of the new film trailer so as not to cause confusion further.
-- Human

-- Not Human

Human or not, Superman will beat your ass.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 08:48
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 21:23
The one thing I haven't yet seen is Cavill as Clark Kent (that is the Daily Planet Clark). We still don't know exactly what will happen plot-wise. I'm assuming hopefully he'll eventually work at the Daily Planet? So surely he'll be wearing glasses at some point. I can't see Cavill playing Clark without something like those to wear. Anyway I'm slightly worried this concept has been totally jettisoned.

Similarly the final moment of Lois suggesting his S could stand for "Super...." holds another geeky worry for me. Is he even going to be called SUPERMAN? I mean Kal-El just isn't catchy. Have we fallen into Nolan territory of "let's not call them what their actually supposed to be"? Hope not.
I predict that Clark won't be employed by the Daily Planet until the end of the movie. This movie looks like it will set up how he'll come to terms with embracing his destiny as Superman and then he'll be working as a reporter when the story reaches its conclusion. Maybe he was inspired to become a reporter by Lois Lane? We'll wait and see.

And I have no doubt Superman will be called by his name towards the conclusion too. It's one thing to refuse to call Selina Kyle "Catwoman", but I doubt that they'll be too afraid to call Superman by his name for this and the future movies. It would be funny if they did though.  :P

Yes I see. I am calmed slightly now lol The Clark Kent thing is still a total worrisome mystery though. He could turn up as "reporter Clark" by the end (that would have a nice tie in with John Bryne's "Man of Steel" series which has a similar ending scene in one issue). A relative of mine suggested on seeing the trailer maybe they'll keep Superman as a drifter type character without his alter ego at all. This would be dreadful. It sounds like an impossible nightmare but critics have always complained about the absurdity of Clark merely wearing a pair of glasses that fools everyone. This got me thinking have they decided to dump it utterly? Surely Nolan/Snyder/Goyer wouldn't be foolish enough to dispose of that "Clark" altogether? Superman practically wrote the book of the superhero double identity (although that concept did exist in pulp adventure stories before comics). To not have it is to me a dreadful mistake and more silly than having a female "Jimmy Olsen"...oh jeez wait, yes we've already got that crap! You can mess with the basics too much and this would be rule 1 to me in that book so fingers crossed this won't happen.

If Cavill is going to play glasses laden Clark I gather he'll be different doing it than Reeve. Perhaps more like the "Man of Steel" comics Clark. No bumping around buffoon like. Course he has to do it his way but I worry about dropping the humor side Reeve brought into it. That was always entertaining stuff for me and made the transformations between Clark and Superman all the more convincing and exciting (going from the clumsy geek to the all powerful heroic side). It was just a nice contrast. More variety. I worry having a 100% serious Clark the audience might get bored of his civilian side. Will he be convincingly different from Superman also? I'm not sure.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 04:21
Saw this comparison thingy:

That is quite depressing seeing that. In all due respect I don't wanna nitpick these type of things. I'm just happy their making a new Superman film in whatever form. All writers say steal from the best anyway lol Nothing really is entirely original. Actually on seeing the trailer myself, while I liked it, there was an awful lot of Reeve-like Superman in it. Scenes with the same intent, just different dialogue, actors e.c.t

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 12:11
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 00:12Er well, okay then lol

I really can't recall Superman beating the crap out of humans. I get the villains side of that they deserve a kicking (provided they can actually SURVIVE it). Unless your referring to the early early comics of Siegal and Shuster where he's beating on corrupt mine owners? They toned it all down I guess later on. Frankly if Superman went around "beating the crap out of anyone" less than himself he'd look a genuine total jerk than he already is in the eyes of non Superman fans lol I think it's on "The Mythology of Superman" documentary where Greek God theorists and such stated it's in keeping with classic mythology of Superman not wishing harm and using his powers respectably on the ideals and education of his human parents upbringing. So I really don't see how the movies violated that and there are plenty of comics (before and after the movie) where Superman defeats his enemies without deliberately attempting to "murder" them lol For instance he snaps the barrel of a gunman's machine gun in an issue of the "Man Of Steel" miniseries and nothing much else.

As for him spinning people around (ala General Zod) first of all they did that cos it's entertaingly funny and still is lol Secondly as I said it made a change from seeing him punch/punch/punch/punch all the time. Otherwise then you just have "Rocky" in a red cape.

Also if Superman was not a "hippie pacifist" as you claim the plot of say Superman IV would be extremely shorter than it already alas is. He'd be launching those nukes on behalf of the Ruskies for thrills dude lol Aren't all superheroes pacifists at heart??? Otherwise what the heck are they standing up to fight for? But let's keep this forum on the subject matter of the new film trailer so as not to cause confusion further.
-- Human

-- Not Human

Human or not, Superman will beat your ass.

I admire your courage in merely going out there on the net, swiping some images and videos and wrapping it all up with a well placed last line to win the argument lol Exactly the response I expected friend. Those are fairly small examples I must say. Now the non-human stuff is what I was telling you about. No probs with Superman hurling a character like Bizarro through a wall or any other super powered foe. If he did that sort of thing to the Prankster or the Toyman however.... :-\

As for the videos they are not the comics. Furthermore they are from modern cartoon and television shows that have attempted their own Batman-like takes of modernising Superman. We're also talking about nearly 70 or so years of previous comics here buddy (especially in relation to the Reeve movies of the 70's). Some stuff some modern show did a few years ago hardly counts as true canon in comparison to decades of previously established characterization. In Smallville's defence Clark seems to be battling a super powered enemy so throwing a few super punches is acceptable indeed there.

Now the comics images you selected looks like 60's/70's Superman images. Note the sound effect on the first one: "Tapp". Superman is not exactly delivering an uppercut here Mohammed Ali would be proud of. He's clearly limiting his strength so the guy will not end up in a coffin, something he's done plenty of. He even rolls from a punch delivered by Batman in "A Death in the Family" for Batman's well being. I think the other two sound effects are a tad overzealous on the letterer's part: bonk and thud. I'm assuming though their slightly powerful enough to knock these guys out in a harmless manner.

Despite "Man of Steel" being evidently influenced by Nolan's Batman vision, the latest trailer is nothing but aces with me. As it was, most definately, what Superman fans deserved back in 2006, but didn't receive. But yeah, I'm loving the images, trailers, and viral stuff that's been coming our way.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/17/man-of-steel-mysteries-new-trailer/

^

There's a few spoilers in the article.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 19 Apr  2013, 05:23Despite "Man of Steel" being evidently influenced by Nolan's Batman vision, the latest trailer is nothing but aces with me. As it was, most definately, what Superman fans deserved back in 2006, but didn't receive.
Absolutely.

I am very pleased about the lack of trunks on this costume. But what do people think about the overall darker colour the suit has, ala in the interrogation scene?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 19 Apr  2013, 07:17
Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 19 Apr  2013, 05:23Despite "Man of Steel" being evidently influenced by Nolan's Batman vision, the latest trailer is nothing but aces with me. As it was, most definately, what Superman fans deserved back in 2006, but didn't receive.
Absolutely.

I am very pleased about the lack of trunks on this costume. But what do people think about the overall darker colour the suit has, ala in the interrogation scene?
The colour palette is actually a big turn-off for me; muted, dark tones are overdone and not a very good fit for this particular character IMO.

I'm afraid that I'm the hold-out when it comes to MoS; I can't really get excited by it. Despite all the efforts to do more with him, Superman works best (for me) in a much brighter, cartoony, tongue-in-cheek (yet still sincere and intelligent) environment, and not only does this seem a very different (and valid) take, it seems to be overcompensating in its efforts to be a clean break from earlier incarnations. Ironically, the fact that we'll be seeing the origin story - again - and that so many elements of the last major filmic interpretation of that story (Jor-El's inspiring speeches and communicating from beyond the grave, Zod, etc.) seem to be getting revisited undermines that effort at making distance. I really don't know why everyone jumping on the "reboot" wagon feels the need to literally start from square one; James Bond hit the reset button once in 40 years, and otherwise handled changes in lead actor, director, composer, editor, studio overlords, etc. by continuing on, hanging on to key visual and musical signatures, and letting the tone of the series naturally drift. I think it would help these film series' maintain momentum and longevity if they followed that path instead of starting from scratch every time a new team comes on.

And I don't like Zimmer's theme. Sorry.

The music isn't outstanding, but it is uplifting...and somehow has gotten stuck in my head.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 22:50I admire your courage in merely going out there on the net, swiping some images and videos and wrapping it all up with a well placed last line to win the argument lol Exactly the response I expected friend. Those are fairly small examples I must say. Now the non-human stuff is what I was telling you about. No probs with Superman hurling a character like Bizarro through a wall or any other super powered foe. If he did that sort of thing to the Prankster or the Toyman however.... :-\

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 22:50As for the videos they are not the comics.
That doesn't diminish their relevance.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 22:50In Smallville's defence Clark seems to be battling a super powered enemy so throwing a few super punches is acceptable indeed there.
He was throwing down with Deadshot. That's why he went down and stayed down so easily.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Thu, 18 Apr  2013, 22:50Now the comics images you selected looks like 60's/70's Superman images. Note the sound effect on the first one: "Tapp". Superman is not exactly delivering an uppercut here Mohammed Ali would be proud of. He's clearly limiting his strength so the guy will not end up in a coffin, something he's done plenty of.
He's using a comparable amount of force, whether he has fist balled up or whether he's serving the ol' pimp salad.

Further, the comic panels I included depict Superman fighting only one super-powered being- Bizarro. The rest, their appearances notwithstanding, do not have powers.

^Good rebuttal, colors. If you're human, robot, alien or whatever and bad...Superman will kick your ass. I don't see why he wouldn't. If you stand in his way, you can decide to get out of it. People have got to learn lessons. Learn not to do things. Getting a knock on the head is as good warning as any. Superman has values and morals, sure. But he's not Jesus Christ. He's a fighter for Earth and its people.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Fri, 19 Apr  2013, 10:16
The music isn't outstanding, but it is uplifting...and somehow has gotten stuck in my head.
Agreed.

The Donner crowd who accept the Williams theme and nothing else are going to slam Zimmer regardless. So I feel a bit of, I don't know, sympathy on Zimmer's side here. Judging things by saying "he didn't make something as memorable as Williams thus he failed" is silly, frankly. His job is to capture the vibe of this 2013 movie. If he does so, the job will have been successful. So I say good luck to him. I wish him all the best, genuinely so. This new sound should've happened in 06.