Man of Steel

Started by Grissom, Tue, 15 Jan 2013, 16:00

Previous topic - Next topic
 ???

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm suddenly looking forward to this film!

The last trailer really didn't do anything for me, it came across as too dull and didn't show very much either. But this one shows the movie seems to have emotion and a convincing character arc (even from a few glimpses I get the idea that were being shown why Superman should be a symbol of hope, not only told). And judging from what I read about the movie so far, I don't see the changes made to Superman come across as objectionable look I saw in Nolan's Batman. We'll see how it goes, but so far I can honestly say I am more positive towards this movie than what I was a couple of weeks ago.

I also hope that trailer music will be in the movie, the piano reminds of Lost and the drums remind of NYPD Blue.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 03:24All in all, this should be good. I'd say it's one of the better Superman outputs already.
I don't think that's open to debate. Just this trailer has more action, heart, drama and humor than all of Singerman combined times whatever number you care to throw out there. Somewhere, I'm sure Bryan Singer wet the bed.

Also, Superman punched Zod, zipped around him and punched him again. None of that Richard Donner "protector" sh!t here; just an old-fashioned butt-kicking. Bring it! I SO can't wait for this movie!

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 10:54
Also, Superman punched Zod, zipped around him and punched him again. None of that Richard Donner "protector" sh!t here; just an old-fashioned butt-kicking. Bring it! I SO can't wait for this movie!
I'm excited for it too, and I'm not the biggest Superman fan out there. Which is a good sign for this movie in terms of winning over audiences.

And indeed, at last Superman has punched somebody, and not just a tap, but a smashing like he means it. Down and dirty Matrix Revolutions style in the air. And also showcasing his super speed, evading those missiles/bullets.

Not just the action, but the story seems engaging - even if 'old' ground is being covered. They seem to be doing it more interestingly this time. And if an alien force arrived on Earth - how modern society would react.

Shannon's Zod should be scene stealing. His shouting seems promising, an unabashed comic book villain having a good time in the role ala Jack Nicholson in 1989.

An updated suit minus trunks - check.
New music - check.
Emphasis on action - check.

All this should have been the go in 2006. But it wasn't. Here it is now.

No matter the end result, they absolutely stepped in the right direction.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 11:38
Shannon's Zod should be scene stealing. His shouting seems promising, an unabashed comic book villain having a good time in the role ala Jack Nicholson in 1989.
I have to admit that I laughed at his hammy shouting "I WILL FIND HIM!"  :D Hopefully this is the first Goyer-scripted movie that I will truly like.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 03:24All in all, this should be good. I'd say it's one of the better Superman outputs already.
I don't think that's open to debate. Just this trailer has more action, heart, drama and humor than all of Singerman combined times whatever number you care to throw out there. Somewhere, I'm sure Bryan Singer wet the bed.

I hope we're going to see Superman use other powers in battles and not just endless slug punches. I'd like his heat vision and super breath to be used in some way to broaden the canvas of action. This is what Superman II did so well. Hopefully the filmmakers will give us all that too.

By the way what the heck do you mean anyway by that "Richard Donner "protector" sh*t"??? lol

A very good trailer indeed. But I'll remind myself of producer Peter Guber's comments on the Batman dvd documentary of "might've been a great trailer but would it be a good movie". So until I actually sit in my local theater and see the thing I won't be raving this is the greatest thing ever.

I want to know about that music. Is this really the new Superman theme? Because if it is I am impressed. It's nowhere near a masterpiece as what John Williams provided but like the Nolan Batman movies theme I could accept something like this. Part of my enjoyment of it is that it had a similar thumping base line as what the John Williams theme had that got your adrenaline going. That sort of thing would be nice and exciting to maintain. Now this is the part where somebody tells me it is merely temp music sourced from other film trailers lol

I also noticed Kevin Costner's line about him believing his son to be "for a reason". Now surely that's a nice tribute to Christopher Reeve's Superman? (Glenn Ford had a similar line). Going back to what somebody else said about covering similar ground I don't mind little homages like this. I hope we will have a few little moments such as this (not too overblown as Superman Returns made the mistake of doing). I recently bought Geoff John's "Secret Origin" book in which David S. Goyer provided an introduction and recalled his memories of going to see the original movie on opening night. I'll quote former Dr Who actor Tom Baker's comments on writing in this way: "They don't call it plagiarism anymore, they call it...homage!" lol

Pleased we can actually see Superman flying. Was worried after reading about "supersonic flying" we'd hardly see him. The up close flying shots on Henry Cavill also looked very Christopher Reeve in shot construction except now using the technologies of today.

Krypton has a new mechanical look (further reflected in the Kryptonian's armor). This is a similar idea to the Krypton of the original movie with it's crystalline structure and magical crystal-like robes of the council. Even Jor-El's farewell scene to his son has a Donner vibe going through it. Is that the new Fortress of Solitude Superman is emerging from?

The one thing I haven't yet seen is Cavill as Clark Kent (that is the Daily Planet Clark). We still don't know exactly what will happen plot-wise. I'm assuming hopefully he'll eventually work at the Daily Planet? So surely he'll be wearing glasses at some point. I can't see Cavill playing Clark without something like those to wear. Anyway I'm slightly worried this concept has been totally jettisoned.

Similarly the final moment of Lois suggesting his S could stand for "Super...." holds another geeky worry for me. Is he even going to be called SUPERMAN? I mean Kal-El just isn't catchy. Have we fallen into Nolan territory of "let's not call them what their actually supposed to be"? Hope not.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 20:51I hope we're going to see Superman use other powers in battles and not just endless slug punches. I'd like his heat vision and super breath to be used in some way to broaden the canvas of action. This is what Superman II did so well. Hopefully the filmmakers will give us all that too.

By the way what the heck do you mean anyway by that "Richard Donner "protector" sh*t"??? lol
Superman isn't afraid to beat some ass, human or not. Donner and/or his acolytes, for whatever reason, seem to think Superman can't or won't or doesn't know how to throw and so he does all those lame ass kicks or spinning someone on a bar stool or something. Sorry, no, Superman will beat a maternal-fornicator to the floor without hesitation. Unfortunately, Donner's influence has long permeated comics and fandom to the point where we long had this strange hybrid of Jesus mixed with a hippie pacifist. Pisses me off.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 23:17
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 20:51I hope we're going to see Superman use other powers in battles and not just endless slug punches. I'd like his heat vision and super breath to be used in some way to broaden the canvas of action. This is what Superman II did so well. Hopefully the filmmakers will give us all that too.

Superman isn't afraid to beat some ass, human or not. Donner and/or his acolytes, for whatever reason, seem to think Superman can't or won't or doesn't know how to throw and so he does all those lame ass kicks or spinning someone on a bar stool or something. Sorry, no, Superman will beat a maternal-fornicator to the floor without hesitation. Unfortunately, Donner's influence has long permeated comics and fandom to the point where we long had this strange hybrid of Jesus mixed with a hippie pacifist. Pisses me off.

Er well, okay then lol

I really can't recall Superman beating the crap out of humans. I get the villains side of that they deserve a kicking (provided they can actually SURVIVE it). Unless your referring to the early early comics of Siegal and Shuster where he's beating on corrupt mine owners? They toned it all down I guess later on. Frankly if Superman went around "beating the crap out of anyone" less than himself he'd look a genuine total jerk than he already is in the eyes of non Superman fans lol I think it's on "The Mythology of Superman" documentary where Greek God theorists and such stated it's in keeping with classic mythology of Superman not wishing harm and using his powers respectably on the ideals and education of his human parents upbringing. So I really don't see how the movies violated that and there are plenty of comics (before and after the movie) where Superman defeats his enemies without deliberately attempting to "murder" them lol For instance he snaps the barrel of a gunman's machine gun in an issue of the "Man Of Steel" miniseries and nothing much else.

As for him spinning people around (ala General Zod) first of all they did that cos it's entertaingly funny and still is lol Secondly as I said it made a change from seeing him punch/punch/punch/punch all the time. Otherwise then you just have "Rocky" in a red cape.

Also if Superman was not a "hippie pacifist" as you claim the plot of say Superman IV would be extremely shorter than it already alas is. He'd be launching those nukes on behalf of the Ruskies for thrills dude lol Aren't all superheroes pacifists at heart??? Otherwise what the heck are they standing up to fight for? But let's keep this forum on the subject matter of the new film trailer so as not to cause confusion further.

Saw this comparison thingy:

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Wed, 17 Apr  2013, 21:23
The one thing I haven't yet seen is Cavill as Clark Kent (that is the Daily Planet Clark). We still don't know exactly what will happen plot-wise. I'm assuming hopefully he'll eventually work at the Daily Planet? So surely he'll be wearing glasses at some point. I can't see Cavill playing Clark without something like those to wear. Anyway I'm slightly worried this concept has been totally jettisoned.

Similarly the final moment of Lois suggesting his S could stand for "Super...." holds another geeky worry for me. Is he even going to be called SUPERMAN? I mean Kal-El just isn't catchy. Have we fallen into Nolan territory of "let's not call them what their actually supposed to be"? Hope not.
I predict that Clark won't be employed by the Daily Planet until the end of the movie. This movie looks like it will set up how he'll come to terms with embracing his destiny as Superman and then he'll be working as a reporter when the story reaches its conclusion. Maybe he was inspired to become a reporter by Lois Lane? We'll wait and see.

And I have no doubt Superman will be called by his name towards the conclusion too. It's one thing to refuse to call Selina Kyle "Catwoman", but I doubt that they'll be too afraid to call Superman by his name for this and the future movies. It would be funny if they did though.  :P