Superman: Dark Knight Over Metropolis

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 18 Jan 2014, 19:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 18 Jan 2014, 19:10 Last Edit: Sun, 19 Jan 2014, 13:12 by Silver Nemesis
This classic 'World's Finest' story was reissued in trade paperback format last year, and I got a copy for Christmas on thecolorsblend's recommendation (I miss that guy :(). The titular story is a three parter, but they also included some additional issues leading up to that storyline. Amongst the extras is 'Skeeter!' (Action Comics Annual #1, November 1987), the Superman/Batman team-up that gave us this classic scene.

Also included is 'The Limits of Power' (The Adventures of Superman #466, May 1990) which depicts the origin story of Hank Henshaw; who'd later return during the Return of Superman arc under the guise of the Cyborg Superman.

But the real highlight of the collection is the 'Dark Knight Over Metropolis' storyline that lends the book its title. The relationship between Batman and Superman here is one of distrust, in keeping with their first team-up against Magpie in John Byrne's 'One Night in Gotham City' (Man of Steel #3, November 1986). But over the course of the story they gradually grow to respect each other, culminating in the pivotal scene where Superman entrusts Batman with the kryptonite ring.

This is a good TP for any 'World's Finest' fans. Two of the stories included having nothing to do with Batman, but the first story and the titular three parter do. And they're good examples of the uneasy alliance that characterised Batman and Superman's partnership in the early Post Crisis comics. A good read.

Not sure if I've ever read that story so I may just pick this one up. That era (at least through the mid 90's) defined the big two for me, at least in terms of being the "definitive" characterization.

If you do pick up a copy, make sure to let me know what you think of it. It may not be a great story, but I enjoyed it.

If they'd included 'One Night in Gotham City' then this TP would be a comprehensive collection of Batman and Superman's major team-ups during the 1986-1990 period. But I guess they felt they didn't need to include that one since pretty much everyone's already read Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries.