Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  8 Jun  2016, 16:21
I think people are mixing up "dark" with "intense". I don't think Batfleck is the darkest, but I do think he's the most intense.
Intense is the right word. In fact, I think it's the term I used upon leaving the cinema.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  8 Jun  2016, 16:21
I think people are mixing up "dark" with "intense". I don't think Batfleck is the darkest, but I do think he's the most intense.

Do you still believe Keaton is darkest, Travesty?

In my opinion, Affleck's Batman was the darkest because of how badly disillusioned and brutal he became following his experience in Metropolis and how his painful experience as a crimefighter for twenty years took a toll. As everyone else who discriminated Superman, Affleck's Batman fell into the dark side of human nature by fearing something he didn't understand, and only saw him as a threat because of the power he possessed. Always preoccupied by the idea he would turn against the human race.

Having said all that, you may argue Affleck regained a new sense of purpose thanks to Superman's own "humanity" and sacrifice by the end of the film. Whereas Keaton is still lost and lonely, making every triumph of his bittersweet.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

That's it. Affleck's Batman is ruthless in BvS. But he has an arc. He'll still be a dark, detached kind of guy who has secrets in the remaining films. But he will be part of a team with faith that "men are still good." Whereas Keaton's Batman tries to reach out to Selina but is rebuffed and remains alone. Affleck's Batman used lethal methods like Keaton, but by all accounts Affleck's incarnation puts that behind him. Keaton's didn't.

Affleck is my new favourite, but Keaton is still fantastic and to be praised.

Keaton is still the darkest, and I'm not saying Batfleck isn't dark, but I think his character is much more intense than dark, whereas with Keaton, he's more dark than intense.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  8 Jun  2016, 12:49If people do have a problem with the mere mention of child predators in BvS, then they should condemn BR, TDK and TDKR for showing an attempt on children's lives.
I don't think child predators being mentioned is something many people have a real problem with.
QuoteI get that some people felt uncomfortable over Batman's ruthlessness in BvS, but the film did establish why he became this way. In fact, the dialogue spelled it out for you in many instances.
It being explained doesn't mean that people think that the explanation is true to the character or makes real sense.
QuoteAnd let's face it, apart from Clooney in B&R, Batman on screen always had serious mental issues. Keaton's Batman was not that sane and used crime-fighting to fill the void in his life, Kilmer's Batman (who was supposed to be a continuation of Keaton) had severe memory issues before recovering and getting over his guilt for good. Bale...well, he was definitely a mess, but thanks to shoddy writing rather than well developed characterisation.
Bruce in B&R had a crippling fear of loss that made him controlling. His arc is about learning to accept that he can't really accomplish things without relinquishing control. Clooney's is a continuation of Keaton and Kilmer's. With Bale, your pretending that things in TDKT are badly written when those things aren't again. Have a very great day you and everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Thu,  9 Jun  2016, 19:40
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  8 Jun  2016, 12:49If people do have a problem with the mere mention of child predators in BvS, then they should condemn BR, TDK and TDKR for showing an attempt on children's lives.
I don't think child predators being mentioned is something many people have a real problem with.
QuoteI get that some people felt uncomfortable over Batman's ruthlessness in BvS, but the film did establish why he became this way. In fact, the dialogue spelled it out for you in many instances.
It being explained doesn't mean that people think that the explanation is true to the character or makes real sense.
QuoteAnd let's face it, apart from Clooney in B&R, Batman on screen always had serious mental issues. Keaton's Batman was not that sane and used crime-fighting to fill the void in his life, Kilmer's Batman (who was supposed to be a continuation of Keaton) had severe memory issues before recovering and getting over his guilt for good. Bale...well, he was definitely a mess, but thanks to shoddy writing rather than well developed characterisation.
Bruce in B&R had a crippling fear of loss that made him controlling. His arc is about learning to accept that he can't really accomplish things without relinquishing control. Clooney's is a continuation of Keaton and Kilmer's. With Bale, your pretending that things in TDKT are badly written when those things aren't again. Have a very great day you and everyone!

While Bruce needed therapy in Batman and Robin and certainly had his own issues he wasn't bordering on insanity like the others. His issues were more along the lines of trust issues.

Bale's character was extremely inconsistent and hypocritical. BB he wanted to be a symbol for good to stand up to evil, TDK he attempted to stop anyone else from doing it. TDKR he continued to trust Selina Kyle for no reason despite all the criminal acts and times she betrayed him. That is bad writing.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 10 Jun  2016, 13:55While Bruce needed therapy in Batman and Robin and certainly had his own issues he wasn't bordering on insanity like the others. His issues were more along the lines of trust issues.
I wasn't necessarily talking about insanity perse, just trauma based issues.
QuoteBale's character was extremely inconsistent and hypocritical. BB he wanted to be a symbol for good to stand up to evil, TDK he attempted to stop anyone else from doing it. TDKR he continued to trust Selina Kyle for no reason despite all the criminal acts and times she betrayed him. That is bad writing.
It's not an inconsistency. Even Bruce himself states in TDK that people dressing up like him isn't what he meant and he says straight to the guys that they're not equipped to help. There's a big difference between trusting Selina because he literally has no other choice and it's the only way to accomplish his goal to stop the nuking of a city and a severe threat and allowing a lot of guys in hockey pads to help him with street crime. It's not comparable and can't be judged as similar. It's not. The abridged scripts aren't a very good point of a reference for real many strong flaws. Have a very great day you and everyone!

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 10 Jun  2016, 13:55
While Bruce needed therapy in Batman and Robin and certainly had his own issues he wasn't bordering on insanity like the others. His issues were more along the lines of trust issues.

As a sequel to BF, B&R shows Bruce has made massive progress compared to the past. You may refer his relaxed attitude with the one-liners while on duty is an example. The only real obstacle, other than losing Alfred, is he and Robin struggle to work together as a team. It's quite natural for Bruce since he has never worked in a partnership before, and Robin's immaturity didn't help matters either. But they learned to put any pettiness aside to save the day - and Alfred - in the end.

Even if we judge each Burton and Schumacher as separate movies unrelated to each other, there's no doubt Clooney was certainly more stable than Keaton, Kilmer. Same when comparing him to Bale and Affleck.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

There's room for all types of interpretations, but a stable Batman isn't one which excites me all that much.

It seems the film is succeeding in home video sales at the moment..

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was just released on Blu-ray, DVD and digital download. Following the continued onslaught of critical panning long after the movie's theatrical debut, the film's new release on disc must have been impacted, right? Well, according to sales charts assembled by industry monitor NPD VideoScan First Alert, Batman v Superman sailed to the top of the disc charts in its first week of availability last week.

The market research firm said that 70% of BvS disc sales were the pricier Blu-ray as opposed to DVD, which makes sense considering the special three-hour extended cut of the movie is only available on disc in the "Ultimate Edition" Blu-ray for the time being (though it's also available as a digital download).

Here's NPD's top-20 for last week:

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (New)
2. Allegiant
3. Miracles From Heaven
4. Zootopia
5. Kung Fu Panda 3
6. Deadpool
7. Ghostbusters
8. Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens
9. The Perfect Match (New)
10. Kill Zone 2 (New)
11. The Bourne Classified Collection
12. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
13. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
14. London Has Fallen
15. Gods of Egypt
16. Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League — Gotham City Breakout
17. Now You See Me
18. Ghostbusters 2
19. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
20. The Goonies

Source: http://bgr.com/2016/07/29/batman-v-superman-blu-ray-dvd-sales/