Graphic Novel Suggestions

Started by Gotham Knight, Wed, 18 Feb 2009, 16:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Tomorrow's my birthday (oddly enough, according to DC, it's Batman's also) and I feel like buying myself a present (sad right) and I'm thinking I want to get a Batman Graphic Novel (one complete story). I have a okay collection, but I'd like to add to it and I'd like suggestions from you guys on what to get. I'd like something with great story and if possible, something Burtonesque (wont hold my breath).

So post your suggestions here.

It's not a graphic novel, but there is an Elseworld's Comic Book for Batman entitled "The Tyrant". It's really good, shows an alternative Batman who was actually saved by Jonathan Crane when his parents were murdered and who was manipulated by Crane to poison Gotham's water supply to subdue those with criminal tendencies. It's really good, I must know I own it and also there are some great twists and turns in the story that will surprise you.

Wed, 18 Feb 2009, 18:01 #2 Last Edit: Wed, 18 Feb 2009, 19:04 by The Batman Returns
First off, let me say congratulations for sharing the same birthday as Bruce. :)

As for something w/ the style of Burton, I'd suggest getting Batman: The Last Arkham. Conveniently enough is that it came out in June of 1992, like Returns did. It's not a graphic novel, but it feels & looks like a Burton Batman film through & through (the story, as well). ;)

Happy Birthday!

The last GN i read was Batman: Face The Face, And i thought it was pretty good, If you wanna check that one out ;).

Fri, 20 Feb 2009, 10:22 #4 Last Edit: Sun, 14 Jul 2019, 15:23 by thecolorsblend
Have you ever read Ego? If not, you may want to check it out. I find the overall themes resonate with Burton nicely. The art style is more BTAS/Bruce Timm'ish (which isn't a criticism, just forewarning) but with slightly more, I dunno, "grit". It's a one shot special and you may have to go to a comics shop to pick it up but it's worth it. It's more about Batman's psychology than it is him defeating another supervillain's plot to take over the world, or what have you.

If you've never read the Doug Moench/Kelly Jones Elseworlds vampire trilogy (Red Rain/Bloodstorm/Crimson Mist) you may want to check it out. In short, Batman becomes a vampire. It's an acquired taste but I've always found Kelly Jones' art style to be pretty Burton'ish (exagerrated gothic architecture, extremely dark Batman, etc). Truth in advertising, it's an R-rated storyline. This Batman is no virtuous hero and the world in which he lives is darker than most other depictions of Gotham. You may be able to find these at Barnes & Noble.

Another Doug Moench/Kelly Jones Elseworlds thing is Haunted Gotham. It's not quite as dark as the vampire thing but it's very atmospheric. Visually Burton'ish (in my mind). The art alone makes it worth every penny to me, but your actual mileage may vary.

It's not really Burton'ish at all but I still recommend the Prey storyline (from Legends of the Dark Knight #11-#15). Visually, I think it's got more in common with Chris Nolan but the art is too good for me not to recommend it. Paul Gulacy is one of those few artists who know how to show Batman using martial arts without looking too stiff, too loose or, in general, goofy. The storyline itself is fairly psychological (as one would expect of a story with Hugo Strange as the antagonist) and that's a Burton'ism there but in terms of visuals and characterizations, I'd say the piece has more in common with Nolan's films. Still, it's worth checking into, esp if you're looking for an overlooked follow up to Miller's Year One. You may be able to find this as a compilation at Barnes & Noble. Comics shops definitely have it. Worst case, you can buy the individual comic issues for about what you'd pay for the collected edition anyway.

Fri, 20 Feb 2009, 10:59 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 20 Feb 2009, 11:02 by The Dark Knight
A Burton styled graphic novel, hm?

Alright, here's my suggestion.

Batman: Gothic.

It has the moody, dark atmosphere of a horror movie. (Burton loves the horror genre). The book is also dripped in fantasy and un-ashamedly features supernatural elments. I don't really care either, since Batman and his world are not real, and it's not meant to be. It's escapist entertainment.

The expressive artwork is old school enough to appeal to "classic" Batman fans while still obviously dark enough to appeal to modern fans.

Set during Batman's early career, mobsters are dying and Batman doesn't really mind. Batman also has a personal link and grudge against the child killing villain, and there is a showdown in Gotham City Cathedral. Sound familiar?

^ Don't forget that Gothic also features the Anton Furst/Burton Batmobile as well  :)
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Fri, 20 Feb  2009, 15:55
^ Don't forget that Gothic also features the Anton Furst/Burton Batmobile as well  :)
Indeed. Gothic is my recommendation for sure.

I ended up getting a gift card to boarders as luck would have it, from a friend at work. I went to Boarders and none of your sugestions were there, so I ended up getting Dark Victory, the sequel to Long Halloween (Which I have).

However, I plan on still getting Batman: Gothic very soon. I'm very interested in reading it. I'll also look into the Batman/Vampire series as soon as my money situation gets better.

Hey! Just bought Batman: Gothic on Amazon.com. Thanks guys!