Batman: Three Jokers

Started by thecolorsblend, Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 21:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  4 Sep  2020, 23:49
Quote from: The Joker on Fri,  4 Sep  2020, 20:04There appears to be a theme of the 3 Joker's having made a tragic impact on the lives of the 3 protagonists (Batman, Jason, Babs). The Clown Joker with Jason. The Comedian Joker with Batgirl, and if I were to surmise, there's something linking The Criminal Joker with Batman. Although exactly what between batman and the Criminal Joker remains to be seen right now.
I don't have access to special inside spoiler info or anything. But if I were a betting man, I'd say that the criminal Joker will be revealed as (1) Jack Napier and (2) the killer of Thomas and Martha.

The B89 angle there is obvious.

But Fabok drew Batman in a very Bob Ringwood uniform and a very Anton Furst Batmobile. Are the uniform and Batmobile meant to visually foreshadow something? Hmm.

Glad someone mentioned it. Batman's suit is like a mix of comics and Bob Ringwood. Also, Monarch Theatre makes an appearance, plus the architecture of some building facades looks inspired by Anton Furst - the Aquarium with those Flugelheim-like windows.

This comic feels like a Joker tribute/Best Of with obvious references to the past (B'89, Killing Joke, Death in the Family, Laughing Fish, Batman #1), The Criminal Joker being Jack Napier is not unlikely.

Yes, the art is fantastic and looks like a lot of thought and work went into almost every panel. Like said above, this feels like they try to do a prestige title. I don't know if it is, but I know that the first time I browsed through its pages, I just admired the craftsmanship without reading the balloons.

I've read issue #2, and I have to say this is a damn good book. I'm hoping the series maintains this level of intensity and enjoyment. It's a pleasure to read, and the character work is strong.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 29 Sep  2020, 12:14
I've read issue #2, and I have to say this is a damn good book. I'm hoping the series maintains this level of intensity and enjoyment. It's a pleasure to read, and the character work is strong.
Goings on with Chill sort of up the ante with Bruce's origin. My little conspiracy theory about criminal Joker being the killer of the Waynes may yet come true.

People can say what they lack about Three Jokers's lack of canonicity. But the instant a comic book Joker is implicated in the deaths of the Waynes, it's canon of some kind.

#2 is weaker than #1. But that's to be expected. The stakes were set in #1 so #2 has to develop the story for a big climax in #3. It makes sense.

Looking forward to how this all plays out.

Tue, 29 Sep 2020, 22:41 #13 Last Edit: Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 12:07 by Travesty
I've been debating on whether I should pick up both issues, or just wait for it to go up in a vol set?

How many issues? Is it 4?

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 29 Sep  2020, 22:41
I've been debating on weather I should pick up both issues, or just wait for it to go up in a vol set?

The collected volume has it down as 160 pages.

I liked this issue as much as the first, possibly more. It's a dark tale but it doesn't forget to show Batman is still inherently a fun character to read with cool gadgets at his disposal.

The artwork, the scenario and byplay going on with Batman, Batgirl, Red Hood, the Jokers and now Chill feels meaningful and considered rather than throwaway.

It's something I haven't really felt with Batman comics since the Scott Snyder run, the War of Jokes and Riddles or Cold Days. Fingers crossed they nail the landing.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 30 Sep  2020, 03:30
Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 29 Sep  2020, 22:41
I've been debating on weather I should pick up both issues, or just wait for it to go up in a vol set?

The collected volume has it down as 160 pages.

I liked this issue as much as the first, possibly more. It's a dark tale but it doesn't forget to show Batman is still inherently a fun character to read with cool gadgets at his disposal.

The artwork, the scenario and byplay going on with Batman, Batgirl, Red Hood, the Jokers and now Chill feels meaningful and considered rather than throwaway.

It's something I haven't really felt with Batman comics since the Scott Snyder run, the War of Jokes and Riddles or Cold Days. Fingers crossed they nail the landing.
This is the first new Batman comic book I've bought in years. Maybe the #Comicsgate model is rubbing off on me. But I think this type of presentation is how superheroes should be done going forward. A miniseries or two each year and then allow the character to have a break for the rest of the time. Then come back the next year with another short miniseries.

There's absolutely zero chance of that ever happening. But it would be effective.

Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 05:58 #16 Last Edit: Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 06:01 by The Dark Knight
I'd be for that. I'm more excited about Earth One Volume 3, and Three Jokers #3, than the ongoing Batman series.

Standalones are special events, and like I said above, of the entire King run I only liked two of his arcs. Those two were good, but give them to me as singles, rather than an album full of disappointing filler.

It's like handing out merit certificates at school – someone has to get one. But they should only be printed and awarded if they're truly deserved.

A struggling comics industry should inspire creativity and excellence – an elite product almost akin to waiting for a movie. Earth One has reached that platform from my point of view. We need more consistency, and to produce content THE FANS want. It has to be good or the company could go under.

If the industry embraces SJW garbage it deserves to die.

The GN collection of "The Three Jokers" is set for November.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Yeah, I'll just pick that up and read all at once. That looks good.

Just finished reading #3. Can't wait until others have finished the series too, because there's juicy material to discuss. Three Jokers lived up to the hype. Reading that last issue was gripping. Every conversation and panel meant something and carried weight. Definitely one of the best Batman stories in recent years.