Batman: The Dark Prince Charming

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 12:55

Previous topic - Next topic
I read this two part story the other day. It's essentially about Batman racing against time trying to rescue a child called Alina, who is held captive by the Joker; except this particular case is very personal.

I found it to be quite a fun read, but perhaps don't think too much about the plot. Contains BIG SPOILERS below.

As soon as Bruce notices the birthmark on Alina's eye when they first met, I knew the girl's real father would be the Joker. The shape of the birthmark looked too identical with his eye make-up, so the twist ending wasn't very surprising to me, despite moments where they tried to make you believe Bruce is the father. But despite the ending was predictable, I still thought the story was entertaining to read, mainly because the characters were their recognisable selves, for the most part. Enrico Marini, who wrote and drew this story, claimed to have had been given freedom to do whatever he wanted, and other than introducing Alina, I'd say the relationship between Joker and Harley Quinn was much less abusive this time around, as Joker holds Alina ransom to force Bruce to get a diamond necklace as Harley's birthday present. Although there is one comical moment where Joker attempts to shoot Harley because her nagging got on his nerves. Some people might hate the relationship wasn't as complex as it normally is, but I don't mind if their romance is straightforward sometimes. The story is dark enough as it is.

Even though Batman isn't biologically Alina's father, he doesn't shy away from increasing the brutality against crooks getting in his way because of his fear for the girl's safety. As a matter of fact, not only does his combat style remind me a bit like the BvS Batman i.e. impaling somebody with the grapple gun and fracturing somebody's arm, the cowl and Batman's face has a strong resemblance to Ben Affleck. The Batmobile itself has a resemblance to the DCEU version too.

It's an odd new dimension introduced in Batman and Joker's relationship now Bruce assumes custody of Alina as her guardian, secretly with Joker's blessing, but honestly, I kind of dig it. With Alina appearing to be very bright for her age and definitely looks destined to do great things unlike her father and opportunistic mother, what better person is there look after her other than Bruce himself? Plus, it's a great step for Bruce to shed away from his playboy persona that got him into trouble with these paternity accusations in the first place, and learns a new level of selflessness and responsibility.

My favourite moment in the story are the scenes when Batman strangles Joker near the end, and the Joker recognises the grasp being very similar to Bruce Wayne in an earlier altercation he had while making the ransom in person. The Joker had to have figured out Batman and Bruce were one and the same at that very moment. In his twisted point of view, it probably makes Bruce adopting his daughter even sweeter.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei