Batman: Hush

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 11:36

Previous topic - Next topic

It seems Jim Lee feels Hush had revitalised his career.

I enjoy Hush, but I believe Court of Owls is better. It's a lot more focused, whereas Hush makes me remember the character interactions more than the main plot. I'll will have to read it again some time in the future.

Without a doubt, though, Hush is definitely one of the best drawn Batman comics ever.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 20 Jan  2022, 10:52

It seems Jim Lee feels Hush had revitalised his career.
That's probably true. DC bought Wildstorm and after that, Jim Lee didn't do much of anything. Until Hush. And it's undeniable that Hush put him back on the map. There was a ton of interest to see Lee's take on Batman's world. He's been a fan-favorite ever since.

Hush really gave Jim Lee a platform to show off his talent as an artist storyteller. I was just getting back into comics right around the middle of the Hush story line, and distinctly recall 1st printing back issues commanding fairly high prices even then. Given that DC teamed up Jeph Loeb (a fairly high profile writer ... especially in terms of writing Batman), with Jim Lee's art in a Batman title, the mystery over who was Hush, plenty of villains appearing and supporting cast, there would have had been some major missteps for this thing to not succeed.

Actually, I was a little surprised this approach wasn't mandated to be replicated when Lee was teamed up with Brian Azzarello for Superman a year or two following Batman Hush. Cause, where Hush succeeded, and remains fairly popular to this day, Superman "For Tomorrow" comes across like a big swing and miss by comparison. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

His X-Men #1 was also very popular back in the early 90s.

Hush is pure entertainment and it remains one of the best Batman comics of the modern era. The art is obviously good, but the story isn't to be laughed at. Batman feels both vulnerable and strong all at once - getting injured and opening up to Catwoman while surviving Superman. It's a nice mix. It's Batman's world at full potential - the man himself in the prime of his career with a full roster of supporting characters. They bungled the animated adaption but we'll always have the comic.