Batman: Earth One Series

Started by phantom stranger, Thu, 10 Dec 2009, 09:16

Previous topic - Next topic
As I mentioned elsewhere, I enjoyed the heck out of this book. I really had no problems with Bruce being, frankly, incompetent at the beginning of his career, as it's much more believable than the uberman he's typically portrayed. I really liked his initial reasoning for becoming Batman, and this new take on Alfred as well. If they ever decide to give us a new full blown film origin for Batman, this would not be a bad place to start at all.

I read it today.

Not too long ago in the thread i created about where to go with the next film I pondered whether or not a true film based on year one would be logical. Definitely after reading this, I think this one should be the route they go if another origin reboot is required.

I know it's somewhat controversial that action stories get told on a non-linear manner; meaning non-chronological, the time line jumps forwards and backwards. But i think it can work. Sometimes it's only done as a way for the writers to cheat; get action in earlier in the story to help the pace. But in cases such as this one it's to tell parallel stories. It doesn't spend a long time on the initial waynes murder from what we know but it does add to his guilt; instead of Bruce blaming himself because they went to go see his film, he actually was kind of acting like a brat running off, leading his parents to the murder.

It's very obvious that year one was used as an inspiration but there's quite the departure; bruce is sloppy and lucious fox is added to the mix. Because of this there's no batmobile yet. I felt it did honour both previous series; the fox character as well as the Penguins mayor aspirations. As well the ending which I wont spoil did have shades of batman forever.

Anyone know if the plan is to continue this or is it basically a one shot?

They definitely intended to produce more books in the DC: Earth One line. But I suspect DC's gotten sidetracked with the whole New 52 thing. So I wouldn't hold my breath on a sequel coming out any time soon.

No sequel but apparently a prequel is coming; year zero. Might be interesting but kind of sucks because it means there wont be batman.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 17 Mar  2013, 15:19
No sequel but apparently a prequel is coming; year zero. Might be interesting but kind of sucks because it means there wont be batman.

Actually, there are plans to release a Volume 2 for this year after all:

Gary Frank Confirms "Batman: Earth One" Vol. 2 For 2013

Mon, November 19th, 2012 at 2:45pm PST
Comic Books
Steve Sunu, Staff Writer/Reviews Editor

Geoff Johns and Gary Frank have a second volume of "Batman: Earth One" in the works for 2013.

This year, DC Comics launched its long-awaited "Batman: Earth One" graphic novel by Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and fan-favorite artist Gary Frank. The original graphic novel detailed the very beginnings of the Caped Crusader, and it should come as no surprise that Johns and Frank plan to reunite for a second volume to continue the adventures of a fledgling Batman. While in conversation on Twitter, Johns tweeted "Batman: Earth One" was one of Barnes & Noble's "Best Quirky, Beautiful, Different Books of 2012," tagging Frank in the post.

"Honored 'Batman: Earth One' by me and the amazing [Gary Frank] was chose as one of Barnes & Noble's best of 2012!" Johns said via Twitter.

Frank's reply to Johns was at first coy about a second volume, seeming to indicate there wouldn't be one.

"It's just a shame that there won't be a Vol. 2...." Frank tweeted, before continuing, "...until next year!!!" Frank further elaborated, stating Johns is "cooking up a great chapter 2."

The second volume of "Batman: Earth One" would match the franchise in volumes with J. Michael Straczynski and Shane Davis' "Superman: Earth One," the second volume of which released this month.

"Batman: Earth One Volume 2" is set for release 2013.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42275

I enjoyed Earth One, it had that grit and feel like it could be adapted into a movie. The only complaint I have about it is the creepy use of using children as murder victims.

I still got a laugh at Batman's failure at the start of the book though.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

QuoteNo sequel but apparently a prequel is coming; year zero. Might be interesting but kind of sucks because it means there wont be batman.

Actually that's gonna be the new New 52 Batman origin. Not related to the Earth One continuity.

^ Oh dear. I find all of this stuff messy. Which is why I tend to give continuity a miss for the most part and focus on individual stories. At the end of the day all stories can be contained to a core, contained narrative. Like - the Penguin wants to rig an election and Batman has to stop his plot. If another story is about Joker trying to poison a water supply but it doesn't match up with that 'world', I'm not really bothered.

The sequel to Earth One has a front cover, but the book itself won't be released till next year.

Given that this front cover superimposes four different faces together, I assume one is Alfred, the other Gordon, and the other two...don't know. Let's not forget that Riddler was revealed by the end of the first book, so I guess he'll be here. The third face on the cover kinda looks mutated, like Killer Croc I guess. The female face on the left could be Barbara Gordon.

Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/10/dc-releases-covers-for-batman-and-superman-earth-one-graphic-novels/

Off-topic - front cover for Superman: Earth One Vol. 3 has been released too.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It seems that Killer Croc will be the main villain in Earth One Volume 2.

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/21661-first-look-2015-s-batman-earth-one-volume-2.html

I thought it would be the riddler as the main villain but still I'm excited for this. I have vol 1 as my collection and in a way I kind of enjoy it more than year one.