Batman: Earth One Series

Started by phantom stranger, Thu, 10 Dec 2009, 09:16

Previous topic - Next topic
Despite the name, it doesn't appear as if this has anything to do with a DC galactic cross-over. Rather, it's another attempt to create a line of books like Marvel's successful Ultimate universe. Sounds pretty cool. I don't really keep up with the monthlies like I used to so it looks like it's up my alley. Alfred's look will take some getting used to though.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091208-Gary-Frank-Batman-Earth-One.html

I like it.  Although, I'd love to know how the villains are going to be portrayed.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Thu, 10 Dec 2009, 11:38 #2 Last Edit: Sat, 12 Dec 2009, 09:45 by The Dark Knight
I really like the sound of it.

Batman/Bruce Wayne looks a bit like Bale in a Burton styled suit. I like it.

Alfred looks different, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Ah, finally the equivalent to Marvel's Ultimate line.

About time.  :)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Hey look, Bruce's new butler is Sam Elliot!

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 10 Dec  2009, 22:28

Spot on!  Maybe he could play Alfred in a new franchise, although if he's in the Royal Marines he might need to put on a British accent.  Hmmm, pity Sean Connery's retired from acting.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 10 Dec  2009, 22:28
Looks a bit like Sean Connery, too.

Wow. As I hurriedly looked at the pics, I thought Alfred is an aging Bruce Wayne.

I'll lay it all out there.

Geoff Johns is one of the most overrated writers in the comic book industry.  It seems that every single character he writes has to have some kind of loss to be a hero.  On paper, that might seem to make sense... but (before Johns) what was Barry's motivation to be the Flash?  Who did Superman tragically lose that inspired him to put on (or keep on) the cape?

Frankly, loss and tragedy very much define Batman so Johns is more in his element.  So maybe this is a good move.

Plus, Batman's been overdue for full, genuine reboot for quite some time now.

As to the format, I'm down with it... but honestly, even this feels like a concession on DC's part.  The comics industry in general has become so focused and insular that newbie readers can't pick up a comic without understanding a lot of intricate details, parallel realities and, oh yeah, 15+ years of continuity!

Does DC make the sensible decision of resuming primarily self-contained storylines?  I mean, that method only sold a few million Superman comics per month back in the 50's, 60's and 70's so heavens no, they've simply decided to skip the monthly comics format and go straight to the trades.  In English business terms, I believe that's called "redundancy".  In American business terms, we call it "downsized".

DC COMICS TO COMIC BOOK SHOPS: "YOU'RE OBSOLETE."

BE1 is symptomatic of something that's deeply wrong with the comics industry.  It's the motherfu(king pink elephant in the room that nobody's talking about.  Monthly comics aren't selling.  And that's not strictly because of video games, iPods or global warming.

It's because people don't like feeling lost in a story by page 2.

Seriously, if you knew nothing at all about comics and picked up any issue of Infinite Crisis... holy crap!!

But that's a mega-crossover, right?  Those aren't designed to be newbie-friendly, right?

Fair enough.  Pick up any issue of Superman: World of New Krypton.  Hell, pick up any issue of Detective Comics from the past six months.

Do you honestly think comics virgins stand a chance of following all that?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 12 Dec  2009, 07:50
Do you honestly think comics virgins stand a chance of following all that?
No, I do not.

I think Batman: Earth One will be the entry point for many. It's going to be much more "user friendly" for newcomers. A linear path from the beginning with no headaches.