Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 3 Aug 2016, 18:59

Previous topic - Next topic
it's now surpassed 500 million which means it is officially not a flop. The IMDB rating is beginning to settle at 6.8 and keep in mind many Nolanites are voting 1 on it.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 19 Aug  2016, 20:02
it's now surpassed 500 million which means it is officially not a flop. The IMDB rating is beginning to settle at 6.8 and keep in mind many Nolanites are voting 1 on it.
Surely, relative to its budget and expectations, it's done better business than BvS.  After all, it's an August release featuring an ensemble of mostly b-characters (save for the Joker and Batman cameos, and the arguable exception of Harley Quinn).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 19 Aug  2016, 20:02it's now surpassed 500 million which means it is officially not a flop.
Where are you seeing that? Box Office Mojo pegs it at $484 million worldwide as of August 18. So it'll probably be at (or beyond) $500 million worldwide by Monday, I suppose.

Apparently, the thinking goes that a movie has to triple its production cost worldwide in order to "truly" be profitable. That means Suicide Squad will have to hit $525 million... which seems pretty doable.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 19 Aug  2016, 20:02The IMDB rating is beginning to settle at 6.8 and keep in mind many Nolanites are voting 1 on it.
They're seriously doing that? Seems rather petty.

Am I right in thinking the DCEU is performing better at this stage in comparison to when Marvel began their universe?

-- Iron Man
Production Budget- $140 million
Worldwide Gross- $585 million

-- Incredible Hulk
Production Budget- $150 million
Worldwide Gross- $263 million

-- Iron Man 2
Production Budget- $200 million
Worldwide Gross- $623 million

Marvel CU Total Budget- $490 million
Marvel CU Total Gross- $1.471 billion

-- Man of Steel
Production Budget- $225 million
Worldwide Gross- $668 million

-- Batman v Superman
Production Budget- $250 million
Worldwide Gross- $872 million

-- Suicide Squad
Production Budget- $175 million
Worldwide Gross- $485 million (and counting)

DECU Total Budget- $650 million
DECU Total Gross- $2 billion (and counting)

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 20 Aug  2016, 01:38Am I right in thinking the DCEU is performing better at this stage in comparison to when Marvel began their universe?
Yeah, I'd say so.

Thought so. That's why the doom and gloom downtalking of the DCEU is like bizarro world. There is a clear hunger for these characters and that is reflected in the numbers. Drop offs and such are irrelevant if you're banking doe. I don't know about anyone else, but I usually only see a movie once, and at most, twice. Movie tickets aren't cheap, and once the general public see something, they've seen it. They move on. For all the hoopla about CW making more money than BvS, it wasn't exactly a flogging. It was the same ballpark. So for BvS to be considered a failure raises my eyebrows. Wonder Woman and Justice League have buckets of potential, so I foresee good money there too.

The film has officially passed half a billion dollars and stays on top of the box office for a third week in a row.

Source: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2016/08/20/Suicide-Squad-passes-500M-box-office-milestone/8771471694592/

I may not have been a great fan of SS, but I'm glad that it's continuing to defy the DC naysayers.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 21 Aug  2016, 04:04
I may not have been a great fan of SS, but I'm glad that it's continuing to defy the DC naysayers.
That's what it's all about.

BvS is still #1 on disc sales for the fourth consecutive week, too.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/batman-films-remain-top-dvd-blu-ray-disc-sellers-1201840573/

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 21 Aug  2016, 04:04
The film has officially passed half a billion dollars and stays on top of the box office for a third week in a row.

Source: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2016/08/20/Suicide-Squad-passes-500M-box-office-milestone/8771471694592/

Yes indeed! It's not very far away from the $600 million worldwide mark.

By any reasonable standard, this is a successful movie.

SS has now overtaken Ant-Man and X-Men: Apocalypse at the Box Office.

Suicide Squad did way better than I thought it would once the initial "critic" reviews came out. However, once the regular folk got a chance to check the movie out, it became apparent that it was consistently getting better word of mouth reviews than the trashy combination of so-called "critics".

In addition, it's good to see that BvS remains #1 on disc sales for the fourth consecutive week, as TDK reported. I'm sure the adamant detractors will maintain their schtick that it all equals out to doom and gloom, but responding to such goofyness is just wasted labor.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."