the brave and the bold?

Started by Catwoman, Sun, 14 Jun 2009, 00:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm halfway finishing the second season, but I must say that Chill of the Night! is not only probably the best episode of the entire show, but one of the best stories ever told on Batman-centric media outside of the comics ever.  :o But who else other than Paul Dini would write something like that - no wonder it felt like I was watching BTAS again.

I loved how dramatic the confrontation between Batman and Joe Chill was, yet Batman decided not to cave in and kill Chill despite the Spectre's protests (voiced by Mark Hamill, of all people).

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Dini only added the Spectre/Phantom Stranger wager...the rest of the story was in the comics almost panel for panel

I love how closely this episode sticks to the original comic. You might expect them to leave certain things out, like Thomas wearing the early Batsuit. But no, they embraced the whole thing and ran with it. And it was a stroke of genius to get Adam West as the voice of Thomas Wayne. It makes up for him not playing the part in Batman 89.

I think this episode also exemplifies the brilliance of Diedrich Bader's vocal performance. He's perfect during the funny scenes in other episodes, but he really nails the serious dramatic moments in this episode too. His was perhaps the most flexible and diverse Batman performance of any actor so far. He could be the light funny Batman, but he could just as easily be the tortured Dark Knight version.

Mon, 29 Apr 2013, 16:18 #43 Last Edit: Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 00:49 by Silver Nemesis
It occurs to me that this show is probably the only time the Clooney Batman has appeared outside of the 1997 movie and its tie-in products. He appears in the season 1 episode 'Legends of the Dark Mite!' where his nipples stick out about a mile in front of him.

Then he appears again in the season 3 episode 'Night of the Batmen!' where he's one of the Batmen from other dimensions who show up at the end. You can see him on the left side of the screen, just beneath the Adam West Batman.

Has anyone else spotted any more Clooney sightings on the show?

Watched Night of the Batmen yesterday. My boy gave out a big chuckle when they all appear at the end...thought it was funny.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 27 Mar  2013, 23:20

But alas, the haters won out. The show was cancelled. And now there's this new darker series, Beware the Batman, looming on the horizon.

Another great write-up by SN, and I agree with pretty much everything you wrote but...it wasn't cancelled because of the haters. Apparently, there's some rule that no cartoon is able to exceed 65 episodes, no matter how popular it is. It affects a lot of animated series.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 19:05
Brave and the Bold, along with Batman Beyond, got added to Netflix. :)

Now we need the animated series then us nerds can just watch straight through!

When does beware the batman start? I only just heard Abt that one.

It was supposed to be April

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sun,  5 May  2013, 04:29
Apparently, there's some rule that no cartoon is able to exceed 65 episodes, no matter how popular it is. It affects a lot of animated series.

There isn't any rule. Back in the day, 65 episodes was the usual minimum amount if you wanted to sell a series to syndication.
There are many series that go far beyond 65, SpongeBob for example.