Batman and Robin: Deleted Scenes

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 2 Feb 2014, 21:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Does anybody have a list of scenes that were shot for Batman and Robin (1997) but edited from the final cut? I'm specifically thinking of scenes that were filmed rather than scenes that were scripted but never shot.

There's this scene, where it's revealed that Barbara isn't actually Alfred's niece.

This scene completely buggers up my comparisons with Betty Kane and Daphne Pennyworth, so I'm glad it was cut.

There are a few moments in the trailer that aren't in the finished film. Arnold has some lines here that I don't remember from the film. There are also some fighting clips that I don't recall making it into the final cut: Batman simultaneously kicking two goons at the 1:04 mark, and Robin taking out three of Freeze's henchmen with a spinning back kick at the 1:06 mark.

Also notice the different takes for the "Hi Freeze, I'm Batman" line and Ivy's "So many people to kill..." line.

I've read that a scene was shot where Ivy stabs Julie Madison to death at the observatory, supposedly using the same knife she wields against Batgirl later in the film. It's said that Schumacher had the scene cut because it was too dark. Can anyone confirm this?

Then there's this scene in the comic book adaptation where Batman's arctic suit repels a blast from Freeze's gun.

The 'Making Of' documentary contains some behind-the-scenes footage that shows them filming this scene. At the 9:40 mark.

Are there any other scenes anyone knows about?

QuoteI've read that a scene was shot where Ivy stabs Julie Madison to death at the observatory, supposedly using the same knife she wields against Batgirl later in the film. It's said that Schumacher had the scene cut because it was too dark. Can anyone confirm this?
Well if that scene was filmed which i doubt it would have appeared in the comic book adaptation as every comic book adaptation from certain superhero film insert both deleted scenes & dialog that didn't make it in the final cut.
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

I'm not so sure. There are rumours that Schumacher shot another exit scene for Madison, only this one involved her catching Bruce flirting with Pamela at the shindig towards the end of the movie. Outraged by his behaviour, she walks out on him and isn't seen again for the remainder of the film. The reason for this scene being cut was that Schumacher allegedly wanted Madison to return in a potential fifth film, so he didn't want her breaking up with Bruce. If it's true that he shot both of these exit scenes for Madison, but neither of them were considered canonical, then they'd be unlikely to have been included in the comic adaptation.

Mon, 3 Feb 2014, 01:00 #3 Last Edit: Mon, 3 Feb 2014, 01:08 by BatmanFanatic93
QuoteI'm not so sure. There are rumours that Schumacher shot another exit scene for Madison, only this one involved her catching Bruce flirting with Pamela at the shindig towards the end of the movie. Outraged by his behaviour, she walks out on him and isn't seen again for the remainder of the film.
Well i can vouch for that scene cause with movie cards like topps which use images from movies that were ether cut or have made to the film have a picture of bruce & pamela holding hands at the party which i can tell is a deleted scene from the one you described but anyways Silver Nemesis if you need any info about the burton/schumacher batman movie deleted scenes i'm your guy cause using my time looking for every little deleted footage of batman forever over the years i've come across alot scenes from the other batman movies that didn't make to the final cut so if you need anything answered just ask me & i'll tell you what i know  :)
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Just chipping in to say I love threads like these. Silver Nemesis really knows his stuff.

These days I'm leaning on the side of preferring B&R over BF. It's "the fun one".

Quote from: BatmanFanatic93 on Mon,  3 Feb  2014, 01:00
Well i can vouch for that scene cause with movie cards like topps which use images from movies that were ether cut or have made to the film have a picture of bruce & pamela holding hands at the party which i can tell is a deleted scene from the one you described but anyways Silver Nemesis if you need any info about the burton/schumacher batman movie deleted scenes i'm your guy cause using my time looking for every little deleted footage of batman forever over the years i've come across alot scenes from the other batman movies that didn't make to the final cut so if you need anything answered just ask me & i'll tell you what i know  :)

Cheers, mate. I've tracked down a scan of the card you mentioned.

So that scene was definitely shot. Do you know of any other deleted scenes from B&R, BatmanFanatic93?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  3 Feb  2014, 02:08
Just chipping in to say I love threads like these. Silver Nemesis really knows his stuff.

These days I'm leaning on the side of preferring B&R over BF. It's "the fun one".

Glad you're interested in this stuff too, TDK. And I know what you mean about B&R being more entertaining. My own opinion of the movie has improved a lot over the last couple of years. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's from discussing it with the regs on this site. Or maybe it's just nostalgia making me more tolerant towards Schumacher's vision. Whatever the reason, it's a perfectly legitimate adaptation of the Batman comics, and a very entertaining one provided you watch it in the right frame of mind. I think it's time we had some more threads like this to discuss it in greater depth.

Tue, 4 Feb 2014, 00:38 #6 Last Edit: Tue, 4 Feb 2014, 00:41 by BatmanFanatic93
QuoteCheers, mate. I've tracked down a scan of the card you mentioned.

So that scene was definitely shot. Do you know of any other deleted scenes from B&R, BatmanFanatic93?

Hmm let's see i know for one that the final fight between batman & mr freeze was longer but was probably cut ether cause it was too violent or too long ether way i know for a fact that this scene

was filmed cause when watching the making of batman & robin there was a shot similar like comic panel where mr.freeze shot batman with his freeze gun & batman blocked the ice beam with his cape so that part was filmed but was deleted from the final cut which sucks cause i bet it would have looked quite "cool" to see happen  :P

Deleted scene # 2 i know about happens during final fight of the film only this one is an extended fight between bane,robin & batgirl cause during the part where bane appears behind batgirl & robin & holds them against the wall i noticed the whole scene was edited kinda abruptly mainly cause he grabs them by the shoulder then next shot it shows him holding them against the wall so it's my understanding that the scene was longer but was cut ether cause of the violence or it was too long which is a real shame cause it would shown how strong bane really was in B&R.

Deleted scene # 3 happens during the downtown battle where batman,batgirl,& robin head towards gotham observatory & talk about their attack along with batgirl humming the 60's batman theme as they discuss their plan (silly girl  :D)

Deleted scene # 4 Is just more fights scenes that happen during the museum battle & when batman is inside mr.freezes ship trying to talk him out from killing thousands of people using the bomb inside his ship.

& i think that's all of them except for the alternate shots & dialog used in the trailers for the movie but that's about it...if i find out more i'll post them here.  :-X