should DC get moving on a live action Justice League?

Started by riddler, Thu, 2 Aug 2012, 03:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Live action Justice League movie...

Sorry , I made all these myself because I think Burton's Superman would have been interesting even if it sucked... I guess 'entertaining' would probably be the word I'm looking for.  Think sci fi burton popcorn movie...  and YES , I made these artworks of Superman Lives myself (lol). 

I think 70% of people would prefered Burton's whacky take on Superman over the god awful boring Superman Lives by Bryan Singer where Superman DIDN'T EVEN THROW ONE PUNCH in a 2.5 hour movie!!!

I think I would have preferred a Burton misfire over Superman Returns, but that's an entirely personal bias I have against the Singer film.

QuoteAnd not to turn this into Marvel vs. DC, but I find the JLA stories far more interesting than any of the Avengers ones, in terms of playing off different personalities and exploring themes of power and responsibility, whether it's the animated series or the animated movies or Tower of Babel or even Kingdom Come.

They tried to do this years ago with director George Miller with a script written by Kieran and Michele Mulroney.  Due to the writers strike and tax issues with Australia, it didn't go through.

But the script itself was solid.  Not perfect, it still had cheesy moments and could've used a dialogue polish.  But the characterizations were dead-on.  The plot itself was an adaptation of Tower of Babel and The OMAC Project, with elements of Kingdom Come.  The action was intense.  The ending was completely risky, but I dug it.  In terms of "big superhero team-up" scripts of recent years, I thought it was stronger than both X-Men: First Class and The Avengers.  Hell, compared to the scripts of this year's superhero movies (Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Dark Knight Rises), it was better written than all of them, in my opinion.  I hope that Will Beall's script captures the same elements and ideas.

I also feel like establishing a DC film universe would allow for an onscreen Batman universe that's closer to the comics, that could bring in the more fantastical villains and elements that Nolan didn't think would work in his world (Clayface, Man-Bat, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, need I go on?).  The animated series was able to do this well and tie in their established Batman with the JLA setting, so it's not impossible.

Yes.  I think a JL film would work quite well, and I honestly can't decide on solo films (though I've read some compelling articles articulating this notion) or if JL should launch a series. 

Also, when I saw this:

it more or less showed in a fan made trailer/sizzle reel how one could be done.  :)  (I know, I know, it will be different actors, new dialogue, etc., but this is more or less what I'd hope for)

I have to admit, I'm a little apprehensive about this movie. However - if they hire the right people and get a good script together, I can be won over. Something a lot more fantastical can't be too bad. Something like the Tower of Babel would be fantastic, although I think that plot line is perhaps too overused.

I doubt we'll ever get confirmation of this but you could almost say the Avengers movie could have easily lifted ideas from the justice league comics; i'm speaking mainly about the personalities and how they clash

-Captain America's Role could be interchanged with the Flash; both have tragedy in their past (though so do every superheroes). Both got their powers completely by accident in a manner which could happen with anyone.
-green arrow and hawkeye, this ones obvious.
-wonder woman and black widow.
-batman/green lantern and the hulk/iron man. I know this one seems odd but 3 of the 4 are very intelligent. Batman and the hulk characters are the most disrespected in the eyes of the public in their respective universes as they are deemed dangerous and unintelligent. Bruce Wayne and Tony stark are of course millionaires. All 4 of these characters are without fathers. Green Lantern and Iron man are deemed by their fellow heroes to bee too reckless and seem to be accused of having too much fun being heroes. Iron Man's weapons are similar to Gren Lanterns constructs. Hal Jordan does become villanous to the other DC heroes in the comics similar to what happens with the Hulk (caused by corruption).
- Superman and Thor: neither are from earth but both enjoy it, they have flight capability and strength. They are likely the noblest with the clearest intentions in their universes.
-DC has plenty of villains who could rival Loki including  general zod, or just about any green lantern enemies.

Remember the huge argument among the egos in the avengers film? Plenty of those in the JLA universe.

By the way on the previous point, I'm in agreement that seems the JLA teamup is better than the avengers ones. Marvel has more great characters than DC but that can be a bad thing when it comes to team ups because there are stories involving teamups of Spider-man, Ant Man, Wasp, Phantom, Spider-woman, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Ms Marvel PLUS the 7 heroes, we got in the avengers. That's over 15 heroes and over 25 if you include the fantastic four and Xmen (all marvel heroes do exist in the same universe) and so the threat needs to be catastrophic to have  a decent story involving them.

DC on the other hand has a strong base of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman, You could squeeze the black canary, deadpool, aquaman, and the side kicks in but such is not required. But even the biggest DC teamups are around 10 heroes MAX and generally closer to 5.

As much as I loved the avengers, part of me thinks it was too soon. Aside from sidekicks (Batman/Robin, Iron Man/War Machine) and teams which always work together (X-men and the fantastic 4), we hadn't had 2 heroes fighting together on screen and then we got 57 (depending on whether you count Nick Fury since he doesn't fight or Black Widow since she was already an iron man sub character).Not sure if marvel could have done a 2 man team up but I wish DC got their feet wet with the Batman vs. Superman which was rumoured from 1999-2004. That would have been perfect timing in hindsight with the previous batman films only having loose continuity, 15 years since the last superman fim (and us still 30 years since the last good one).