Batman 1943

Started by Slash Man, Sun, 5 Feb 2023, 05:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Slash Man on Thu, 17 Aug  2023, 23:53Can anyone think of a reason why the film shouldn't be put alongside the golden age comics continuity?

There are some discrepancies, like Bruce's postal address being Los Angeles, California, even though it's stated elsewhere that he lives in Gotham City.

Or the fact Batman and Robin are agents working for the government. But it's not hard to reconcile these things. The early comics were inconsistent about Bruce's home city anyway. Originally it was New York, then it was Gotham. And the Golden Age Batman was a deputised officer who served his country during World War II by battling foreign spies, so it's not too much of a stretch to think he might have taken the odd assignment from the US government.

And as you point out, other changes, such as the addition of the Bat's Cave or Alfred's appearance, were later incorporated into the comics anyway. So I don't have a problem accepting the 1943 serial as part of the Golden Age canon. It fits the spirit of that era perfectly. I'd say the same thing about the 1949 serial, which could fit into the Earth-Two timeline at some point after Bruce met Vicki Vale in Batman Vol 1 #49 (October 1948).

Quote from: Slash Man on Thu, 17 Aug  2023, 23:53While it's far after the fact, writers for Batman's Earth-2 adventures in the 80s considered the film canon due to referencing Daka. I forget the source, but a writer did confirm such.

That was Roy Thomas in All-Star Squadron Vol 1 #47 (July 1985).

Quote from: Lewis Wilson's Batman"Besides, on account of our special assignment from Uncle Sam, our success depends on keeping our identities a secret."

Silver's right. There's enough wiggle room in that statement that it can be interpreted as the 1943 Batman and Robin taking on unique assignments, rather than actually being federal agents. I don't think the Earth-Two Batman taking on such assignments during the war years would have been something considered blasphemous.

I think Roy Thomas was considered the main custodian of the Earth-Two continuity at DC Comics during the 1980's, and since he saw fit to slide the serial into the Golden Age Batman's history, that gives it another point of credibility.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Thank you, Silver Nemesis! I had forgotten both of those facts as well. Maybe it's not as black and white as I once thought, but it's a lot easier to reconcile than assuming any modern Batman film could be part of the comics. A lot of it boils down to retelling characters' backstories.