Joker (2019) Accolades Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 6 Jan 2020, 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 20 Jan  2020, 19:53
Surely he's locked for the Oscar now.
He has a very good chance. The necessary momentum is there.

Joaquin is a great actor but it does feel like this will become his trademark role.

While we're on the subject of JOKER, I've seen commentary arguing Arthur wouldn't be intelligent enough to plot intricate heists or become a threat to Batman. Way I see it, this is a self continued story, so it's a moot point. However I think the content still makes the case for Arthur.

Even in the early stages of the film he bypassed security and used a disguise to meet high profile Thomas Wayne - a nod to the Joker being an elusive improviser. He also evaded the police on the train and got the crowd to bash them via a diversion he himself created. And the big one is he had no problem killing. Years embracing that persona would only strengthen pre-existing traits.

My Bafta predictions were mostly on point. The one major thing I got wrong was in predicting The Irishman would do well – it didn't win anything, despite having 10 nominations. But that aside, it went pretty much as I was expecting.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 11 Jan  2020, 18:19I doubt Joker will win best screenplay, picture, director, production design, sound or casting. I'm guessing Sam Mendes's 1917 is more likely to dominate most of those categories, what with it being a British period drama.

1917 was indeed the dominant film of the evening and won more awards than any other movie, including best picture, direction, production design and sound.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 11 Jan  2020, 18:19So I'm predicting Joker will win the Bafta for best actor and maybe one or two other categories.

Joker won best actor, music and casting.

The Academy Awards is introducing new diversity rules that will limit which films qualify for best picture nominations.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/oscars-inclusion-standards-best-picture-diversity-1234762727/

This reads like a parody, but it's real. They're actually doing this. The ratings for the Oscars have been consistently declining for years now, and this is their solution – to get even more woke.

Under these new guidelines, Joker would not have qualified for best picture. Neither would most other classic films.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  9 Sep  2020, 10:40
The Academy Awards is introducing new diversity rules that will limit which films qualify for best picture nominations.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/oscars-inclusion-standards-best-picture-diversity-1234762727/

This reads like a parody, but it's real. They're actually doing this. The ratings for the Oscars have been consistently declining for years now, and this is their solution – to get even more woke.

Under these new guidelines, Joker would not have qualified for best picture. Neither would most other classic films.
Man, Peter Jackson would get cancelled if he tried making the LOTR movies today.

The absolute state of Hollywood...

What a joke, but they're deadly serious about it.

Woke politics destroys everything it touches. Take a knee to it.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  9 Sep  2020, 10:40

Yuck.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."