Joker (2019) Accolades Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 6 Jan 2020, 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic
In light of the hostility certain sections of the media have directed towards this film, it's going to be very interesting to see how it performs during award season. Commercially, it's unquestionably been a colossal success. But will the industry celebrate the film as enthusiastically as audiences have? So far, it's off to a flying start. It won the prestigious Golden Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival last year.

And now it's won two Golden Globes. It was nominated in four categories: best dramatic performance, best score, best motion picture (drama) and best director. It won best dramatic performance and best score.

Phoenix is the third actor to be nominated for a Golden Globe for portraying the Joker, following Nicholson and Ledger. He's the second actor to win a Golden Globe for portraying the Joker, following Ledger.

Next up is the SAG Awards, where Joker has been nominated for best stunts and best lead performance. After that it's the Oscars. But feel free to use this thread to list any other nominations or awards the film might garner.

Joker is dominating the Baftas with a total of eleven nominations:

•   Best Screenplay (Adapted)
•   Best Leading Actor
•   Best Director
•   Best Film
•   Original Music
•   Best Cinematography
•   Best Editing
•   Best Production Design
•   Best Make Up/Hair
•   Best Sound
•   Best Casting

To put that in context, Batman '89 was nominated for six Baftas, while The Dark Knight won one and was nominated for an additional eight. Ledger posthumously won a Bafta for his portrayal of the Joker. Nicholson was nominated for his performance in the 1989 film, but didn't win.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 10 Jan  2020, 23:54To put that in context, Batman '89 was nominated for six Baftas, while The Dark Knight won one and was nominated for an additional eight. Ledger posthumously won a Bafta for his portrayal of the Joker. Nicholson was nominated for his performance in the 1989 film, but didn't win.
In your opinion, how likely is JOKER to win any of its nominations?

Sat, 11 Jan 2020, 18:19 #3 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 15:20 by Silver Nemesis
The Baftas are generally biased towards British films, and for that reason alone I'm already surprised to see Joker leading with so many nominations. As with the Oscars, political factors have a big influence on the Baftas (just look at the current backlash about the lack of diversity in this year's nominations), so we can't predict the outcome based purely on quality.

I doubt Joker will win best screenplay, picture, director, production design, sound or casting. I'm guessing Sam Mendes's 1917 is more likely to dominate most of those categories, what with it being a British period drama. The Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will also be serious contenders. I reckon Joker has a good chance of winning best actor, though Adam Driver might nab that category for his performance in Marriage Story. Ordinarily I'd have thought Taron Egerton the favourite for best actor, what with the Batfas' preference towards British biopics and anything with an LGBTQ flavour. However they already awarded Rami Malek best actor for playing Freddie Mercury last year, and they mightn't want to prioritise another gay British musician biopic so soon after Bohemian Rhapsody. So there's a very good chance Phoenix will win best actor. Best editing, score, cinematography and makeup are also up for grabs.

So I'm predicting Joker will win the Bafta for best actor and maybe one or two other categories. But no more than that. It has the most number of nominations, but it won't have the most number of wins.

Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 15:18 #4 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 15:21 by Silver Nemesis
Joker's been nominated for 11 Oscars! :o Not only is that the most number of nominations for any CBM in history, but it's also the most number of nominations for any film this year. The nominations include:

•   Best Motion Picture of the Year
•   Best Achievement in Directing
•   Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
•   Best Adapted Screenplay
•   Best Achievement in Cinematography
•   Best Achievement in Costume Design
•   Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
•   Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)
•   Best Achievement in Film Editing
•   Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
•   Best Achievement in Sound Editing

The Dark Knight won 2 Oscars and was nominated for an additional 6. Avengers: Endgame has been nominated for just 1 Oscar, and that's for Best Visual Effects. Marvel has overtaken DC in Oscar performance over the last couple of years. But it looks like DC is about to retake the lead, and by quite a margin.

Joker also won 2 Critics' Choice Awards, including Best Actor. It was nominated in another 5 categories.

Considering the seriousness of the competition, the only award I must insist upon is Music Written for Motion Pictures . Everything else legitimately could go either way.

A best actor win for Phoenix is looking more and more likely.

Here's a quick recap of Batman's record with the Oscars.

BATMAN (1989)
•   1 win

BATMAN RETURNS (1992)
•   2 nominations

BATMAN FOREVER (1995)
•   3 nominations

BATMAN BEGINS (2005)
•   1 nomination

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)
•   2 wins
•   6 additional nominations

SUICIDE SQUAD (2016)
•   1 win

JOKER (2019)
•   11 nominations

So as things currently stand, the Batman movie franchise has won 4 Academy Awards and received an additional 23 nominations. If you count The Lego Movie (2014), that's 24 nominations.

Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 00:25 #7 Last Edit: Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 02:39 by The Dark Knight
Hopefully the film wins a good share of these nominations, because it'd be getting what it "f***ing deserves".

I consider JOKER to be legitimate in the same breath as the other Batman films (Burton, Nolan, etc) in terms of existing inside a Batman universe. I still see commentary elsewhere that Fleck not being Batman's chief rival reduces that, to which I say B89 had Napier making an everlasting impact on a young boy who would become Batman years later. The movement Fleck unintentionally inspired but later came to embrace will do the same for the JOKERverse Bruce.

For me, the following content makes it legitimate as a Batman product:

Wayne Manor
Arkham State Hospital
Thomas Wayne
Alfred
Young Bruce
Wayne murder sequence

Each incarnation exists in its own cinematic universe anyway. This film is no different. Placing this film inside the Batman tent elevates its cinematic brand. The Burton films are always going to be 1 and 2 for me, but JOKER is right up there next to them.

At the very least if I had to choose, I'd take Phoenix as best actor. Anything else is just gravy.

Phoenix has won best actor at the SAG Awards. During his gracious acceptance speech he paid tribute to the other nominees (which included Christian Bale) as well as Heath Ledger.

Surely he's locked for the Oscar now.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 20 Jan  2020, 19:53
Phoenix has won best actor at the SAG Awards. During his gracious acceptance speech he paid tribute to the other nominees (which included Christian Bale) as well as Heath Ledger.

Surely he's locked for the Oscar now.
Interesting. His Golden Globe win was a step away from Eddie Vedder's famous "This doesn't mean anything" speech. The SAG speech was a lot more, as you say, gracious.

The Academy probably is watching. I'm not predicting anything. But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised.