Superman Lives!

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Fri, 20 Mar 2009, 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic
After seeing these new pictures and skimming through Strick's script (not perfect, but very interesting), I am REALLY sad this wasn't made.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 31 Jan  2013, 03:27
Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Wed, 30 Jan  2013, 08:06And Kevin Spacey as Lex? That was Tim's casting choice.
Would have been interesting to see Spacey portraying Lex without having to adhere to the script of the Donnerverse love letter.
I'm not convinced that it would've made much of a difference with his performance, which I never thought was very Hackmany to begin with.

Kevin Spacey was one of the best things about Superman Returns for me. He had the menace and the humor and felt like a continuation of Hackman but without playing it like Hackman (as colorsblend stated previously). If you want to talk about actors stuck playing roles like the originals, lets discuss Routh ;D.

I was expecting alot more out of the performance from Kevin Spacey, but was severely disappointed with the end result. And this is coming from someone who went in thinking, if anything, Spacey would be the saving grace of the film. Well, his performance didn't exactly get there, and to a large extent, was pretty forgettable overall due to having to adhere to elements of Hackman's Lex, as well as delivering some hammy lines that I think would have been more enjoyable coming from Hackman than Spacey. Especially considering I feel Hackman is much more talented on the comedic front than Spacey ever could hope to be. And that was a major flaw in the said performance as well.

With Routh, I wouldn't even say he played it like Reeve. That's an insult to Reeve's portrayal. It was NEVER that wooden!!!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Routh wasn't cast to play Superman/ Clark, he was cast because he looked and sounded similar to Reeve. Because he didn't have a lot of acting experience at the time, and because he was put into this box to begin with, it came across wooden. I would like to see what he would do with it now after he's had a few more films under his belt.

And I still disagree about Spacey, I loved him in the role. To each his own.

Routh has worked with some big name directors (Bryan Singer, Kevin Smith, Edgar Wright) as well as several TV directors. Some of these directors have pulled good performances out of people who aren't even actors by trade to begin with. In everything Blandon does, he comes across wooden and awkward. Sooner or later, you have to conclude that the actor, not the director, is the problem. And Routh is the problem.

Quote from: gordonblu on Tue,  5 Feb  2013, 15:47
Routh wasn't cast to play Superman/ Clark, he was cast because he looked and sounded similar to Reeve. Because he didn't have a lot of acting experience at the time, and because he was put into this box to begin with, it came across wooden. I would like to see what he would do with it now after he's had a few more films under his belt.

See, I didn't think neither the first time I saw a picture of Routh shortly after being announced as being cast, nor when the laughable first official image of him in the suit, that he resembled Chris Reeve. I'm aware that's what Singer probably had in mind, and was ultimately aiming for considering the storyline he had put in place, but again, I just never saw it.

If anything, Brando looks more like Chris Noth's younger brother than he does Reeve's.

QuoteAnd I still disagree about Spacey, I loved him in the role. To each his own.

That's cool. To me, Spacey as Lex is just one of those things that will fall into that category of what COULD have been provided a better script and direction (Similar to Tommy Lee Jones as Harvey Dent/Two-Face in '95) that, in this particular case, wasn't so smitten with what was already previously established.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Jon Schnepp's managed to get Tim Burton for his documentary!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1270411036/the-death-of-superman-lives-what-happened/posts

He's also interviewed Wesley Strick, Steve Johnson and Kevin Smith. Now if he can just land an interview with Nicolas Cage...

Wow!  This sounds awesome Silver Nemesis.  I love these 'what if' type documentaries.  Have you read David Hughes' 'The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made' by any chance?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I haven't, but it sounds like the sort of thing I'd enjoy reading. Presumably it covers near misses like Jodorowsky's Dune adaptation?