Nicholson "furious" over Ledgers Joker?? Praises Burton

Started by shadowbat69, Thu, 8 Nov 2007, 03:57

Previous topic - Next topic
Jack Nicholson was giving a rare interview to MTV. He was asked about his thought on Heath Ledger being cast as Joker in Nolan TDK.

Heres what he had to say:

MTV: What do you think of another actor, Heath Ledger, playing the Joker in next summer's "The Dark Knight"?

Nicholson: Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious. [He laughs.] They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker. I know how to do that! Nobody ever asked me.

MTV: It was never brought up?

Nicholson: No. It's like, in any area, you can't believe the reasons things do or don't happen. Not asking me how to do the sequel is that kind of thing. Maybe it's not a mistake. Maybe it was the right thing, but to be candid, I'm furious.

MTV: I'm surprised to hear you sounding competitive about a role like that.

Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. That's how I got involved with it in the first place. It's a part I always thought I should play.

MTV: Will you see the new film?

Nicholson: I'm not inclined to watch it because of what I said. But if it's a good movie, I'll catch up with it somewhere. I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit [since he stopped being involved]. They kind of drove the franchise into the ground. Tim Burton's a genius. He had the right take on it. That's why I did the movie. I did the movie based on a single conversation with him. We both come from the cartoon world originally. We had similar ideas. Tim said [the Joker] should have a humorous dark side to him. [Burton is] one of the great moviemakers. I think the world of him. He's the most unassuming man. And he doesn't feel pressure. That's what I love about him. Once he's in there, he's smiling making the movie. That's it!

The full article can be read here:http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1573617/20071106/story.jhtml

So, what do you think?

i assume he is being sarcastic about being furious, is he?!

either way, he is right on the money.  His Joker was a pretty funny and a pretty scary guy.  The scene when his bandages are removed is a classic "Joker" scene, if the Dark Knight can capture that essence then it should do well.

But for me, Jack will always be the Joker - his make-up is better for a start!!

I honestly dont think he was kidding. I think he was being quit serious. Nicholson has a passion for the role of Joker, and he knows, tho some like to deny it, that they did something great in 1989. Because of that, he feels that there should be a level of respect given to the previous actors. I see alot of Adam Wests attitude in his statements, which can either be seen as a respect and passion for the character or arrogance.

In my opinion, and this might not be worth much, but in my opinion I think he was serious - "in a way."  Meaning, he would rather not see anyone play the Joker again but I would imagine he wasn't being a jerk about it or trying to start something negative in the press. 

If you all watched ANY interviews with Jack - he is one of the most charismatic interviews I have EVER seen.  And he is not afraid to say whatever he wants about anything.  I LOVE watching interviews with him on the Rare DVD when he gets going.

But, I think he was being honest but slightly tongue in cheek.  Just my opinion.  You know I have SOOOO much experience with TONS of insanely famous people!   ;D :D ;D

I LOVE Jack's performance as the Joker.   LOVE it.  He is fantastic.  And I think Heath Ledger will be amazing too. 

To me, it's apples and oranges.  I think the movies are TOTALLY different and are two different interpretations.  I love them both.  But I love Tim Burton's just a wee bit more!

--Chuck

Quote from: shadowbat69 on Fri,  9 Nov  2007, 03:20
I honestly dont think he was kidding. I think he was being quit serious. Nicholson has a passion for the role of Joker, and he knows, tho some like to deny it, that they did something great in 1989. Because of that, he feels that there should be a level of respect given to the previous actors. I see alot of Adam Wests attitude in his statements, which can either be seen as a respect and passion for the character or arrogance.
--
--
----It's not who I am inside, but what I do that defines me!!!!!!

I don't think he was kidding. I think he was throwing a "Baby Fit", ha ha!
That's kinda sad because I really love Nicholson as an actor.
CHECK OUT THE NEW BAT-BLOG!
http://www.bat-blog.com

Facebook Member?   ADD ME!
http://www.facebook.com/batblog

Now Jack Nicholson is a great man and I have a lot of respect for him, but The Joker is not JUST the one-note, over-the-top funny man that Nicholson portrayed in 1989. I have no idea how Nolan is gonna direct Ledger in the role, but you can bet that it will be considerably different from Burton's Joker. The biggest mistake Burton made with the Joker (besides killing him off) was that he never made us HATE him. We were supposed to LAUGH at the Joker in that film, not fear him. The thing is, no one is supposed to think that what the Joker does is funny, except himself. We're supposed to feel uneasy when he is onscreen, not be smiling. But I was never scared of Nicholson in that role. His two most menacing moments in BATMAN 89 were when he killed Jack Palance's character, and when he was at the museum with Vicky Vale. Even in those moments, he was funny. He was loopy, and wild, but he was never scary. The now-canonized portrayal of the modern Joker is way darker than what we were given in 1989. The Joker of THE DARK KNIGHT is going to be more of a psychopath and basically the funnyman stuff that Jack did in the original Batman is gone. But I do feel that Ledger might be a better Joker than Nicholson, will just have to wait and see for ourselfs in July I can't wait til The dark Knight comes out. All I no is that Nolan did not screw up his sequel like Burton did.

After reading the news last night, I think we can discount Nicholson's comments.

He and Ledger were good friends.  It is not likely that he was furious about Heath getting the Joker role!