Fans launch #ReleaseTheSnyderCut website

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 13:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Apparently, a "journalist" working for the Wall Street Journal had interviewed Jay Oliva and a member of the fan group in support of the Snyder Cut, but decided to spin the story that the intended version doesn't exist, and wrote an article taking things out of context.

Here's Oliva's reaction:

I guess my interview with you didn't fit your narrative of crazy fans. Really disappointed in you Ben. You had the chance to write an article that helped bring understanding to a movement about keeping the artistic integrity and creative freedom of future filmmmakers.

https://twitter.com/jayoliva1/status/1019993153737068544

Journalism today.  ::) I guess Superman's saying "I don't know, no one stays good in this world" before fighting Batman rings true more than ever.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Yeah that interview was major league BS. Oliva's more relevant comments about the actual state of Snyder's cut were conspicuously absent. It's good to know I was right to smell a rat while reading that POS article.

Henry Cavill did an interview recently and pretty much said move on and leave JL behind. That's the company line and he's towing it. Cavill KNOWS what was filmed, because he was in front of Zack's camera. Is he going to spill those beans, and say what version he preferred? No way.

Cavill's main argument seems to be that WB wouldn't make millions from a Snyder cut.

Canon has now been set and they're sticking to it. Are they going to release a film which potentially has people saying 'why the EFF didn't you release this in the first place?!' Doubtful.

WB got cold feet and went with something safe.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 23 Jul  2018, 03:49
Henry Cavill did an interview recently and pretty much said move on and leave JL behind. That's the company line and he's towing it. Cavill KNOWS what was filmed, because he was in front of Zack's camera. Is he going to spill those beans, and say what version he preferred? No way.

Cavill's main argument seems to be that WB wouldn't make millions from a Snyder cut.

Canon has now been set and they're sticking to it. Are they going to release a film which potentially has people saying 'why the EFF didn't you release this in the first place?!' Doubtful.

WB got cold feet and went with something safe.
Heh, fans aren't famous for letting things go. I admire him for being forthright. I'll even acknowledge that he's taking the exact right attitude here.

Just saying that Snyder's true believers won't be so easily thwarted. If Donner's Superman II is anything to judge by, maybe it's better that we all leave well enough alone.

The DCEU up to this point has been a noble failure. Not a complete failure. But a failure nevertheless.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 23 Jul  2018, 03:54
The DCEU up to this point has been a noble failure. Not a complete failure. But a failure nevertheless.
Let me unpack this.

Man of Steel? Great
BvS: Dawn of Justice? Great
Suicide Squad? Okay
Wonder Woman? Great
Justice League: Okay

SS and JL get the okay score from me - but it's the untapped potential that kills the vibe there.

But looking ahead, enthusiasm still exists despite that jaded feeling regarding Snyder. The Shazam! trailer did the trick for me. It seems like a naturally enjoyable movie with a good concept and good lead actor. Aquaman has nice visuals, and I do like Momoa in that particular role.

So in a best case scenario, if those two films deliver, the DCEU wouldn't be doing too badly for itself from my point of view. If any good emerges from the SS and JL sagas, it'll be to hire somebody and then let them complete their vision.

On the Batman front, I've read that a new actor will be cast for Reeves' film. Apparently it'll be set in the early years of Batfleck's career, like year two. It wouldn't recap his origins or anything, but would show his first real encounter with a classic supervillain. If that's the intent, I'm actually kinda okay with that.

Why?

Because it would remain in-canon to the DCEU Batman, and the new actor could be believably accepted given it's decades before BvS, ala the new Solo film. If this is the route they go, however, a limited role from Affleck would be the cherry on top. Perhaps he gives a voiceover at the beginning and/or end, recounting his early days, much how Wonder Woman handled things. Or even a scene of current day Batfleck in action, then merging to the past.

A limited role would be better than no role at all.

When you think about it, recasting DCEU Batman to show his early years would have to happen anyway.

We'll have to wait and see.

I think it's wise to wait until official word comes out before believing anything. Too much fake news has been spread for the sake of clickbait, at this point.

Unless Matt Reeves said something I'm not aware of?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 26 Jul  2018, 05:52
I think it's wise to wait until official word comes out before believing anything.

Uh huh.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 26 Jul  2018, 05:29
Apparently
If that's the intent
If this is the route they go

As everyone can see, I blatantly came out and confirmed rumors I had seen, didn't I?

Too much fake news has been spread for the sake of clickbait, at this point.

Speculation is the lifeblood of discussion. Believing something is another matter entirely. Entertaining a concept is harmless and healthy. It's certainly more interesting than saying nothing about a hypothetical scenario.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 26 Jul  2018, 07:08
I think it's wise to wait until official word comes out before believing anything.

Uh huh.

Apparently
If that's the intent
If this is the route they go

As everyone can see, I blatantly came out and confirmed rumors I had seen, didn't I?

You'll need to excuse me. I've just become too burned out by hearing rumours and gossip with anything relating DC to the point I just have this impulsive need to remind myself and everybody else not to get too carried away. It's got nothing to do with you, but I've seen too many fans on social media either getting their hopes up or fearing the worst for every rumour coming out. It gets exhausting.

I saw this FX video of Victor Stone playing football while his mother watches on from this tweet. Apparently, an FX company showed this in a compilation video for the projects they worked on, but it appears WB had pulled it down.

Source: https://twitter.com/Mirals5/status/1021701781758402560

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 23 Jul  2018, 03:54
Let me unpack this.

Man of Steel? Great
BvS: Dawn of Justice? Great
Suicide Squad? Okay
Wonder Woman? Great
Justice League: Okay
[/quote]Two of those got completely committee-banged during post production. Only one of them received almost universal praise, while the critical reaction to the rest... well, it varied, let's say that.

Only one of them was an out-and-out box office failure. But unfortunately, it looks like the haters have won/are winning/will win. WB must respond and it appears that they'll be responding by abandoning what made the DCEU so well-regarded around here.

A noble failure. I stand by that.