Captain America: Civil War

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 5 Dec 2015, 00:32

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm seeing a fair amount of negativity on other sites, but I like it. The mask's got that classic Ditko look, and the expressive eyes are a neat innovation on what we've seen in earlier films.

I've only read positive things so far, which is good because I like the cowl.  It has a very retro feel, which is something I'd expect from the guys at the MCU with their tendency to remain faithful to the comic-book origins.  Plus, it allows much scope for the suit to develop film-by-film to become gradually more 'sophisticated'.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I like the look of the new Spidey myself.

I know I said I'd judge the rest of the suit when I saw more, but the screencaps online have given me enough to look at. The web lines over his suit are also closer to the Ditko/classic Spider-Man look. The other movies have kind of a "raised" or textured look to the webs. These look more like the way they were drawn in the comic panels. Same goes for the black spider on his chest and the red one on his back (that you can see if you freeze frame the part where he flips). I also swear I've seen a comic with the utility belt (with spare webbing cartridges) before but can't find a panel.

What's cool is that if you listen closely, you can hear the "whirr" of Spider-Man's eyes as they move, which means that the eyes don't magically move on their own like in Deadpool, it's a built-in part of the suit (likely an upgrade that Tony gives him).

Here's hoping they nail down all the other aspects of the character, outside of the suit. I'm loving that we live in an era where filmmakers are trying to make the characters look more like the comics, not less.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Fri, 11 Mar  2016, 18:18I also swear I've seen a comic with the utility belt (with spare webbing cartridges) before but can't find a panel.

I vaguely recall something along those lines myself, but I can't remember where I've seen it. Can any diehard webheads provide a scan?

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Fri, 11 Mar  2016, 18:18
What's cool is that if you listen closely, you can hear the "whirr" of Spider-Man's eyes as they move, which means that the eyes don't magically move on their own like in Deadpool, it's a built-in part of the suit (likely an upgrade that Tony gives him).

I liked that touch. When there were rumours he'd be wearing a suit designed by Stark, I was worried they might go with the Iron Spider armour to distinguish it from the earlier films. But based on what we've seen so far, I think it looks awesome.

The suit is pretty good. I like they went for something completely different in comparison to the other live action costumes. However, at the moment, this would be my least liked. It's not terrible, but I simply prefer the others. I think this feels a little bland, with the other cinematic costumes 'popping' more.

Surprisingly, none of us here have mentioned that this will be the first time William Hurt is playing General Ross since The Incredible Hulk. He has gone from hunting down the Hulk to running an agenda to regulate costumed heroes following the events of the last two Avengers movies.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 13 Mar  2016, 00:18
Surprisingly, none of us here have mentioned that this will be the first time William Hurt is playing General Ross since The Incredible Hulk. He has gone from hunting down the Hulk to running an agenda to regulate costumed heroes following the events of the last two Avengers movies.
I'm so glad General Ross is coming back.  One of the reasons I like the MCU is its sense of continuity, and one of the reasons I find Ross such a compelling character, whether he's played by the brilliant likes of Sam Elliott or William Hurt (one of my favourite actors), is that he isn't an out-and-out villain.  He's an antagonist and a big-time jerk, but he isn't truly evil; just very misguided.  He may even have a point this time, in terms of ensuring that rogue superheroes are made accountable to democratic governments and their agencies.

That said, it's funny that Ross is so determined to control and register the Avengers for the destruction left in their wake, after it was his actions, tinkering with the super-serum that ultimately helped create The Abomination, that nearly flattened Harlem in The Incredible Hulk (admittedly that wasn't entirely Ross's fault, since the Hulk/Banner blood samples kept by Dr Samuel Sterns were what really turned Blonsky into such a destructive monster).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.