Captain America: Civil War

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 5 Dec 2015, 00:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 01:09

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 00:53
I'd like it if this thread was on Civil War and not "B v S against Civil War fans"  :)

I for one am looking forward to both films, so don't you worry.

Good.  :)

Let's open six cases of champagne when the films come out. And, let's give Affleck a grant.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 01:09
Point taken, but is there really a possible alternative for DC/WB to build a cinematic universe? I'm no fan of WB as a corporation, but they are in a no-win situation here. if they copy the Marvel approach with 'solo films first, team-up movie later', they'll get accused of having no innovation and are desperate to catch up with Marvel. They try to build  with having three big name heroes with a confirmed cameo by Aquaman, yet they're still being accused of trying to catch up with Marvel.

Like I said, I know there's a reason there are more characters in Civil War, but there's always going to get somebody who is short-changed, and you'll likely get people complaining that their favourite character didn't get to do much.

Let's face it: there's a first time in everything, and you got to start somewhere. I like the premise that BvS has, and it has a lot of potential in my opinion. But again, it depends how it's executed.
You make some very valid points, particularly the one about WB not wanting to be seen as copying the MCU approach.

But ultimately my faith in the Civil War is based on the MCU's sterling track-record so far and my mixed, although by no means entirely negative, feelings towards Man of Steel.

That said, AOU was a relative disappointment, if still a better-than-average movie, and I hope Civil War doesn't suffer from the same issues regarding certain characters being short-changed.  Personally, I don't think that will be a big issue because ultimately Civil War is still primarily about Captain America, Iron Man and to some extent Bucky, judging by the trailer, and the other Avengers are effectively making up support, whereas AOU was a team/ensemble movie, and it partially failed in not building on the group dynamic and giving each character their own narrative as elegantly as the first Avengers film had done (apparently Thor in particular suffered from editing room choices).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Since we are already discussing MCU, I expected better from AOU, it's an average movie for me, and not a very good entry overall. And I actually enjoyed Ant-Man quite a bit more.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 01:27
Since we are already discussing MCU, I expected better from AOU, it's an average movie for me, and not a very good entry overall. And I actually enjoyed Ant-Man quite a bit more.
I've only seen AOU once.  I hope I enjoy it on a second viewing.  It was a slight disappointment for me but there are still a lot of things I liked and I'd argue that it was still better than average.  :-\  But you're right; Ant-Man is much better.  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Sat, 5 Dec 2015, 01:35 #14 Last Edit: Sat, 5 Dec 2015, 01:37 by Edd Grayson
I tend to change my mind on some films sometimes, and like them more, and some films I like the same or less.  :)

Like the Iron Man films. 3 used to be my favorite, now it's 2. And while I don't hate the first one, it was a good origin movie but not a great movie.

And to me , AOU and Iron Man and Iron Man 3 are average, while Iron Man 2 is above average.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 01:27

I finally got to see Ant-Man over the weekend. While I don't rank it as one of my favourite Marvel films, I still enjoyed it simply for the fact that a crook got a father and daughter back together.  8) It had goofy jokes too, but I still got a laugh out of them.

I saw the post-credit scene where Cap and Falcon found Bucky - the same scene that also appeared in the CW trailer. You can really feel the contrast between the serious tone that scene had compared to the rest of Ant-Man.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I haven't seen Ant-Man but I agree about AOU. I actually haven't seen any of the phase two films more than once (waiting for the combo set to drop in price, it's ridiculously expensive). Here's how I'd rank the films against each other

Excellent: Avengers
Great: Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Cap 2, Guardians of the galaxy
Good: Cap 1, Thor 1 and 2, Iron Man 2 and 3, age of ultron

I don't see any of them as bad films per se, I enjoy all of them to their own extent but AOU's problems were actually what I feared would be the problem of the first avengers....

So I know it's been asked in this thread to try and avoid comparing DC to Marvel but I will instead to a contrast; not to claim one is better than the other but rather how they are different. While the individual heroes all have their own interesting comics, I prefer reading justice league comics to Avengers. I find avengers stories lack plot and characterization and often have endless fighting with very little of the alter egos. The first avengers film didn't have that problem, the heroes interacted well developing relationships out of costume. Age of ultron though the fight scenes dragged on as they can in the comics.

Now civil war I'm excited about; it has the same directors as Winter Soldier which was easily the best overall phase two film (Guardians was good as well but it's not for everyone, a prerequisite is an enjoyment of Sci-fi) and despite what I wrote earlier about Avengers comics, Civil war is easily my favourite marvel comics story.

New Super Bowl TV spot.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

You beat me to it.

I absolutely love the fact his eyes can move (i.e. Deadpool). I'll have to see more of the rest of the suit, but the mask has won me over.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...